85 Mooney Missile ...Damaged left wing- $50,000

BobAustin

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

Dude the buckling is on the rear half of the wing. That’s from the compression of the aft part of the wing from hitting a brick mailbox and knocking it over. This bends the wing aft.   You aren’t straightening a bent wing spar, although some unscrupulous sellers have done that and lied about it. 

I agree- there is no way that wing should go back in service!

I'm an aircraft structural engineer (didn't stay at holiday inn) and concur that this buckle is due to an impact pushing the wing tip aft. I wouldn't even mess with this wing and simply replace it...

I kinda wish I was in the market and had some free time as I would jump on this project and use the nicely rebuilt wing I already know about. This plane should fly again!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PTK said:

Looking at the pics it looks like it hit the concrete mailbox out towards the tip of the wing. That's at least a 15 foot arm distance creating a tremendous moment force back at the wing mating area. That spar is most likely bent and a replacement wing won't save it. If this thing isn't a pile of scrap metal beer is on me!. Dilly dilly!!

I very well may make you buy me a beer , It needs a wing , and I have located one , and by wing , I mean all 36 feet of it..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

I very well may make you buy me a beer , It needs a wing , and I have located one , and by wing , I mean all 36 feet of it..

If you come out here and bring a wing with you, we've got a spare bedroom.  If anyone can make it fly again...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

I'm an aircraft structural engineer (didn't stay at holiday inn) and concur that this buckle is due to an impact pushing the wing tip aft. I wouldn't even mess with this wing and simply replace it...

I kinda wish I was in the market and had some free time as I would jump on this project and use the nicely rebuilt wing I already know about. This plane should fly again!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

So that kind of torque on a wing bolted to the frame won’t that torque the frame too?

(I’m staying at the best western on Sunday...)

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

So that kind of torque on a wing bolted to the frame won’t that torque the frame too?

(I’m staying at the best western on Sunday...)

No its the indestructible , kryptonite cage , second only to Saddams bunker....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kale McManus said:

Were is the wing and how much are the asking for it I do believe that the plane can be put back together for a reasonable price 

Lets see , It took me 2 hours to find the wing , at 125 an hour , PayPal me 250.00 , and I will tell you where the wing is.....

• Haha 1

See, Alan is talking about saving a Mooney, not cutting it up!!  Save that Missile Alan!!!

I coun't at least five Mooney's you've saved so far:

Your old E

The E you saved from GAI

The J you are currently flying

The C you found and sold to your friend at VAY

Maybe this Missile.

Now, the question is, how many Mooney's have you scrapped?

Most recently, the 1st E.

I think two others, maybe more?

-Seth

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Seth said:

See, Alan is talking about saving a Mooney, not cutting it up!!  Save that Missile Alan!!!

I coun't at least five Mooney's you've saved so far:

Your old E

The E you saved from GAI

The J you are currently flying

The C you found and sold to your friend at VAY

Maybe this Missile.

Now, the question is, how many Mooney's have you scrapped?

Most recently, the 1st E.

I think two others, maybe more?

-Seth

You forgot my F in Danville...

15 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Hey, if my J can be fixed, any wing can be fixed. 

Probably...  But a better more cost efficient way would be to replace the entire wing.  As some say the full 36 feet.    There will be underlying damage but nothing time and money can't fix correctly.  The problem I see is the greed and smart comments that are spear chucked.  Some are asking questions to learn others are preaching what they think they know,  While others who obviously work in the profession know the work involved.  Unfortunately in this case the person with the bigger wallet will probably win it however that doesn't mean they know how to fix it.   Hopefully that person(s) will know people who can do the work correctly.  My fear is a person(s) pretending to be smart and have money working the magic to swap a wing and forgetting something because they did it themselves.  The cost of such a mistake is beyond numbers.  No matter who gets it, it will need a shop that specializes in Mooney repair to do the work.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Hey, if my J can be fixed, any wing can be fixed. 

It really comes down to the skills of the shop doing the work and the patience of the owner to wait it out.

Clarence

Just now, M20Doc said:

It really comes down to the skills of the shop doing the work and the patience of the owner to wait it out.

Clarence

And now approaching the seventh month, I am tired of waiting, although I am told the work should be completed within three weeks.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me - how a wing can be damaged like that at the root and the frame is not likely damaged?  I am asking - not suggesting.  My intuition says it would be a point of worry.
The frame is tubing. If there is damage jigs can be built to replace bent sections. That is the nice thing about a Mooney. Minus the wing everything can be fixed. And even the wing can be massaged in some instances and be better than new

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Can someone explain to me - how a wing can be damaged like that at the root and the frame is not likely damaged?  I am asking - not suggesting.  My intuition says it would be a point of worry.

So, did it torque the steel cage? Probably. Did it twist some? Probably. Did it twist the steel enough to cause it to yield, Probably not.

When an airplane hits something it isn't fastened down to anything. it causes accelerations to all these different moments. I would think the wing structure would take most of it. The fuselage was just along for the ride. You have to remember that the Mooney wing is a solid structure from end to end. The other end is a huge moment to push against.

• Like 2