Mooney N94MR- Paint Project

mooneyman

9 minutes ago, mooneyman said:

I recently dropped off my M20R at Flying Colors Aviation in Benton Harbor, Mi (KBEH) http://flyingcolorsaviation.com/ They have been awesome to work with! I’m very excited to see the finished project. Here are some pics so far:

AEC5EE97-5152-4781-8128-FE64A59256CE.jpeg

166DE7D5-F85E-4042-A2AC-C75124EC2F67.jpeg

0E0C566B-71D8-46D1-9A88-20B498D64247.jpeg

E0F195E5-F327-4110-8CBC-6672D2A84A09.jpeg

6C68BED1-33C0-4F20-8369-1BD86D3AC432.jpeg

52B6A48C-C928-4ABC-883D-B1AF539BF1D8.jpeg

Looks good how much and how long and waiting time 

24 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

paint didn’t look bad, why the repaint?

The paint was in worse condition than the pictures show. It looked OK from 20 feet but was peeling in multiple locations. Leading edges and control surfaces were bare metal in spots.

The paint was in worse condition than the pictures show. It looked OK from 20 feet but was peeling in multiple locations. Leading edges and control surfaces were bare metal in spots.

At least that’s the excuse he used to get the okay from the wife....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

I agree the paint didn't look bad....but mine had a scuff and squirt on it and it looks good from far, but far from good.

Why is the wing walk compound installed on one of the pictures?  Or is that just a mat to allow someone to walk up there.

I would think you would apply the wing walk stuff over the top of a painted airframe?  Just asking.  

15 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

I agree the paint didn't look bad....but mine had a scuff and squirt on it and it looks good from far, but far from good.

Why is the wing walk compound installed on one of the pictures?  Or is that just a mat to allow someone to walk up there.

I would think you would apply the wing walk stuff over the top of a painted airframe?  Just asking.  

The pictures were out of order. I have rearranged them. The wing walk was removed prior to placing the primer.

3 hours ago, Immelman said:

Beautiful.... but one dumb question: why remove the NLG? Is that common in a Mooney paint job? I am curious about how they will do your wheel wells as well.

I think they are painting those parts individually, you can see one of the pics.

4 hours ago, mooneyman said:

Silver metallic base coat applied!

6E9F842F-56B3-4320-9150-BFBF4970CAAF.thumb.jpeg.621b7534a6b9f0743aef40e691d1cfaa.jpeg

Exciting times for you, it is looking very  good in silver!

I remember a thrill when I saw first tum my F model with a new paint job. Really significant change.

One, question, though:

When (and how) were the Vortex Generators (VGs) installed? Were those removed?

I think I see them on the plane before the paint was stripped. It seems that if they are not removed, an old paint would till be underneath them, possibly compromised by paint stripper.

good luck.

3 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Exciting times for you, it is looking very  good in silver!

I remember a thrill when I saw first tum my F model with a new paint job. Really significant change.

One, question, though:

When (and how) were the Vortex Generators (VGs) installed? Were those removed?

I think I see them on the plane before the paint was stripped. It seems that if they are not removed, an old paint would till be underneath them, possibly compromised by paint stripper.

good luck.

looking through the process, it looks they were on the plane when it still had its original paint, and then removed as you can see in the pictures when they stripped the paint, and then reapplied once the silver metallic paint was dried.

57 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

looking through the process, it looks they were on the plane when it still had its original paint, and then removed as you can see in the pictures when they stripped the paint, and then reapplied once the silver metallic paint was dried.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, milotron said:

Do you have access covers for both sides of the fuselage avionics bay? I thought we only had them on the pilot side, but you have one a little farther back on the other side too.

The long body aircraft have two, staggered slightly. Still a pain to get the batteries and O2 tank out. 

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

How long have you had your VG's? What are your observations in using them? Stall speed? Any difference in cruise speed?   Thanks

The VG’s were installed by the previous owner. I had no prior experience with VG’s going in. I figured I would probably not reinstall them when I eventually got the plane repainted but after flying with them for several years, I would now not want to fly without them. 

Several observations:

1) Low speed handling/ control authority significantly improved (compared with previous F model)

2) Stall speed reduced to 56 knots from 59 (POH)

3) Plane very docile in the stall. I practiced stalls with an instructor at MAPA PPP. He was amazed that he could not get the plane to drop a wing even when uncoordinated. Stall is very similar to DA-40.

4) No noticeable reduction in cruise compared to book values

I know that many Mooney purists don’t like them, but I think they definitely improve safety for a relatively low cost. Main downside is aesthetics. 

3 minutes ago, mooneyman said:

The VG’s were installed by the previous owner. I had no prior experience with VG’s going in. I figured I would probably not reinstall them when I eventually got the plane repainted but after flying with them for several years, I would now not want to fly without them. 

Several observations:

1) Low speed handling/ control authority significantly improved (compared with previous F model)

2) Stall speed reduced to 56 knots from 59 (POH)

3) Plane very docile in the stall. I practiced stalls with an instructor at MAPA PPP. He was amazed that he could not get the plane to drop a wing even when uncoordinated. Stall is very similar to DA-40.

4) No noticeable reduction in cruise compared to book values

I know that many Mooney purists don’t like them, but I think they definitely improve safety for a relatively low cost. Main downside is aesthetics. 

I observe similarly with my VGs.  

They were removed and then reinstalled for the strip-seal-repaint process I just went through.  Were yours?

• Like 1