Hooker Shoulder Harness for '70 M20F

Has anyone LEGALLY installed these as a minor mod without having to go through pull-test/structural analysis?

I've tried to read up on the Advisory Circulars and Policy Letter, but am still a bit unclear if these can be installed legally.  I don't think Hooker has an STC for Mooneys, and I don't want to stumble down the Field Approval path...

Thanks in advance :)

6 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Has anyone LEGALLY installed these as a minor mod without having to go through pull-test/structural analysis?

I've tried to read up on the Advisory Circulars and Policy Letter, but am still a bit unclear if these can be installed legally.  I don't think Hooker has an STC for Mooneys, and I don't want to stumble down the Field Approval path...

Thanks in advance :)

Alpha Aviation has an STC to add fixed or inertia reels shoulder belt, and for manual gear they have a buckle with automotive push buttons release.

Clarence

Just some general observations (I could be wrong so take it with caution).

1. There is no STC required for the specific belt. 

2. Alpha Aviation has an STC for the shoulder mount.  You can buy the shoulder mount hardware from them for about $40. 

3. You should use a belt that is FAA approved but it does not have to specifically be approved for the Mooney. 

4. In general the FAA would rather you have shoulder harness than get in a detailed analysis of are they STC'd for your specific aircraft. 

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/harness_kits/

http://alphaaviation.com/mooney-minor-change-kit-m20-a-thru-g-and-early-j/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

Yeah but the hard part of mounting to the frame has already been done.  Just need to unbolt the belt and rebolt the new one.

On many installations the nut on the clamp for the shoulder belt is not captured, so you’ll need remove some window trim to get a wrench on the nut.

Clarence

That above ^^^^  Use some blue tape on an open end wrench to hold the nut while you put it back together.  Not that I would do this, but if you use the box end, the wrench will be stuck when you are done and you will have to consider cutting the wrench or redoing it.  Don't ask how I know.

12 minutes ago, Yetti said:

That above ^^^^  Use some blue tape on an open end wrench to hold the nut while you put it back together.  Not that I would do this, but if you use the box end, the wrench will be stuck when you are done and you will have to consider cutting the wrench or redoing it.  Don't ask how I know.

So are you now the owner of a double-ended open wrench??

The other option was to leave it there and turn it into a clothes hanger with some custom bending.  Sadly I took the proper route and redid it    I was excited how close the run and gun drilling of the plastic trim worked out.

• Like 1

This is very simple!  Jack Hooker is a fellow member of the Cessna 120-140 and I know and respect him.  He is a pro at what he does and a great guy to  visit with.  Simply call him and talk to him.  He will provide the STC with the harness.  He has personally analyzed all applications for which he provides harnesses.  If he says it is good to go, have complete confidence with the installation and sleep better because you know you are properly restrained in the event of an incident.

I have a set of Jacks harnesses in my 140 and feel much more secure with the Hooker harness in my 140 than the one side shoulder harness that was already installed in my Mooney when I bought it.

If my Mooney didn’t already have the harness it has, I would not consider any harness system other than Jacks system.  Install a set and you will never have to look back.

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

On many installations the nut on the clamp for the shoulder belt is not captured, so you’ll need remove some window trim to get a wrench on the nut.

Clarence

I already have the shoulder strap installed.  I wouldn't remove it, just change out the lap belt with the clasp for the one with the push button.