Instrument Overhaul

Hank

During my Static Test, the altimeter and IVSI are leaking. What should cost to Overhaul IVSI be, compared to VSI overhaul? I really like not having 5-6 second delay on the VSI when in the clouds. 

The shop didn't quote this, just said "very expensive."

Thanks!  (I think . . . .  :rolleyes: )

If the altimeter is not an encoding altimeter overhaul should be around $350.  VSI would be around $250.  Probably around $600 and $400 if you decide to do an overhaul/exchange.  I know encoding altimeters are very expensive to overhaul but, not aware of the actual costs.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:27 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

BTW are you sure it is the instruments? Probably the least likely place for a leak. You can tell if it is the instrument by pushing on the glass and see if the leak stops.

Pretty easy to test. I just use some surgical tubing and suck gently and hold it. An old avionics guy showed me this. As long as you’re not a total ulf about it it’s fine and a great quick test. Suck it up a few thousand feet and hold it for 30 seconds. 

-Robert 

6 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

You roll the surgical Tubing up a few thousand feet. 

That's what I've always heard and seen done, slip the tubing over the pitot tube and roll slowly, then clamp it shut to hold it. But this time, I was not able to be present . . . .  :(  I prefer being involved and seeing how things work and the condition of everything.  

9 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

You roll the surgical Tubing up a few thousand feet. 

Technically, that wouldn't work.  Waste of a few thousand feet of tubing, too :D

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying now!  I had an image of someone holding up a few thousand feet of tubing to try to get the other end at a higher altitude.  A little impractical, but I'm a concrete thinker ;)

Edited by jaylw314