Overhaul on calendar time - io-550

rpcc

On an Ovation you can pull the lifters and inspect them and the cam for corrosion damage, pitting, or spalling. If you catch it early enough you can swap the lifters and save the whole thing.  Our shop had a 2002 O2 come in for a cylinder change. 1600 since new. I pulled those two lifters and they both had pitting on them.  Owner wa too cheap to inspect the rest or even replace the ones we pulled. He will be back for a whole engine before long. 

I've only had Lycoming IO360s but I'd  inspect the engine as best you can without removing anything major.  Analyze the data and even if you deiced you want to overhaul it I'd put the money on the side let it earn interest and run the engine.  Any hour you get between now and actually overhauling it is free engine time.

On 2/5/2018 at 6:21 PM, rpcc said:

I did make the mistake of looking very nice younger ovation.  This one is exceptional, but its not in the market I've been looking at.  I think finding one in between original and in this league is where I"m going to focus.  https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/23721763/2008-mooney-m20r-ovation2-gx

Something more along the lines of this then?
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/20902281/2005-mooney-m20r-ovation2-gx?dlr=1&pcid=17527&if=1

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

S-Tec autopilot. 60 or 80k to upgrade to WAAS.  

The upgrade to WAAS is in the $25,000 range. Adding a GTX 345R (for ADS-B out and in) is in the $6,000 range. The S-Tec 3100 digital autopilot is listed at $10,000 plus an estimated 10-15 hours installation if one wished to replace the S-Tec 55x with a digital autopilot.

7 hours ago, Deb said:

The upgrade to WAAS is in the $25,000 range. Adding a GTX 345R (for ADS-B out and in) is in the $6,000 range. The S-Tec 3100 digital autopilot is listed at $10,000 plus an estimated 10-15 hours installation if one wished to replace the S-Tec 55x with a digital autopilot.

the way they used to do it was replace all the LRUs and the screens and you get the Gfc700 autopilot as part of the whole kit.  That’s a much more integrated solution than an off-brand autopilot. Does the s-Tec track the glideslope down? Weather and traffic onthe g1000?

Edited by jetdriven