New Mooney In Santa Monica

MrRodgers

After months of searching for my dream Mooney and then a two month annual and upgrade at Don Maxwell’s shop in Longview, my 67 Mooney M20 F is finally in her new home in Santa Monica, Ca.  Such a great day!  

A life long dream come true.  Thanks to Alan Basinger for taking such great care of 68 Mike as her previous owner and to Don Maxwell for his expert service.  Also thanks to Full Throttle Aviation for the Ferry flight services from Texas to California.

Most importantly thanks to my family and to my love Shannon for being so supportive of my aviation passion. Shannon gave me a huge hug and said this plane is the only mistress I will accept in your life and I expect you to enjoy her fully. 

I look  forward to meeting more Mooniacs in the years to come and to learning from other members on the Mooney Space forum.  

01598DF3-9B06-4013-84E1-0CDF316938EC.jpeg

4C697719-2740-4E26-BDE0-66DBC263A661.jpeg

82F93F88-8117-4F2E-A77E-6596596AE0D0.jpeg

59FCFBAA-2D5E-492D-BFD3-713910B48B49.jpeg

298FB964-B36A-4AD5-B879-E97230A0CF65.jpeg

3C2C1D70-CE6B-4DBF-AE0A-573F70C4456D.mov

• Like 17

Looks great....to bad you are surrounded by aviation hating liberals......
Flying around local is great, but just remember if you like your propeller do not go to Catalina.....

Welcome, and don’t worry, you’re not completely surrounded by unfriendlies!

The Best Coast wing of the Mooney Caravan is at least one very active group of aviation-loving California Mooney pilots, including some on this board. If you want I will put you on our email list—we were part of a group of 35 AC (including warbirds and other GA types) in Yuma for a formation clinic this weekend.

SoCal is an amazing place to fly with awesome VFR and many, many great destinations within 2 hours. Maybe that’s why we are a little less judgey/slower on the trigger than some in other climes. Your F is a great time machine, you guys are in for some great adventures.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2018 at 5:37 PM, N9201A said:

Welcome, and don’t worry, you’re not completely surrounded by unfriendlies!

The Best Coast wing of the Mooney Caravan is at least one very active group of aviation-loving California Mooney pilots, including some on this board. If you want I will put you on our email list—we were part of a group of 35 AC (including warbirds and other GA types) in Yuma for a formation clinic this weekend.

SoCal is an amazing place to fly with awesome VFR and many, many great destinations within 2 hours. Maybe that’s why we are a little less judgey/slower on the trigger than some in other climes. Your F is a great time machine, you guys are in for some great adventures.

Yes, please add me to your list. michael@michaelrodgers.com

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 8:31 AM, base698 said:

Hi Neighbor!  We met in Santa Monica Flyers when you were picking it up!

Justin

N58143

On 2/6/2018 at 8:31 AM, base698 said:

Hi Neighbor!  We met in Santa Monica Flyers when you were picking it up!

Justin

N58143

Hi Justin,

That's right. She's finally here. I have a hangar down past Barker near AJ's hangar. Stop by sometime.

On 2/4/2018 at 1:20 AM, MrRodgers said:

After months of searching for my dream Mooney and then a two month annual and upgrade at Don Maxwell’s shop in Longview, my 67 Mooney M20 F is finally in her new home in Santa Monica, Ca.  Such a great day!  

A life long dream come true.  Thanks to Alan Basinger for taking such great care of 68 Mike as her previous owner and to Don Maxwell for his expert service.  Also thanks to Full Throttle Aviation for the Ferry flight services from Texas to California.

Most importantly thanks to my family and to my love Shannon for being so supportive of my aviation passion. Shannon gave me a huge hug and said this plane is the only mistress I will accept in your life and I expect you to enjoy her fully. 

I look  forward to meeting more Mooniacs in the years to come and to learning from other members on the Mooney Space forum.

Michael, thanks for sharing.  Do tell...how long have you had your certificate, how many hours, previous aircraft flown, etc?  What led you to a Mooney?  Pursuing instrument training?  Also, would love some cockpit pics as well.  Always nice to see what choices various folks make when it comes to the front office.

Welcome to the group.

Steve

5 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Now my head is exploding.....you cannot use those three words in one sentence that way, at least not in VNY or SMO.

Seriously, it's not a "liberal" thing. Follow the money. It's a money thing. Don't act like California is the only place in the country where airfields are under attack. They have closed plenty all around the country and for the exact same supposed reasons of safety, noise and environmental damage. At VNY and SMO it's all about very valuable real estate. You know, good old fashioned right wing values of "free markets", greed and capitalism.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2018 at 10:20 PM, MrRodgers said:

01598DF3-9B06-4013-84E1-0CDF316938EC.jpeg

4C697719-2740-4E26-BDE0-66DBC263A661.jpeg

82F93F88-8117-4F2E-A77E-6596596AE0D0.jpeg

59FCFBAA-2D5E-492D-BFD3-713910B48B49.jpeg

298FB964-B36A-4AD5-B879-E97230A0CF65.jpeg

3C2C1D70-CE6B-4DBF-AE0A-573F70C4456D.mov

Congratulations on your new F!! Looks a lot like mine... only way better. I always wondered what my plane might look like with shiny  new paint on it! :lol:

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 7:35 PM, DaV8or said:

Seriously, it's not a "liberal" thing. Follow the money. It's a money thing. Don't act like California is the only place in the country where airfields are under attack. They have closed plenty all around the country and for the exact same supposed reasons of safety, noise and environmental damage. At VNY and SMO it's all about very valuable real estate. You know, good old fashioned right wing values of "free markets", greed and capitalism.

+1.  If anything, I could make the argument the SMO situation is about aviation-hating conservatives.  After all, the concept of excessive central federal control taking away the ability of the local governments to make decisions is a conservative political position.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, StevenL757 said:

Michael, thanks for sharing.  Do tell...how long have you had your certificate, how many hours, previous aircraft flown, etc?  What led you to a Mooney?  Pursuing instrument training?  Also, would love some cockpit pics as well.  Always nice to see what choices various folks make when it comes to the front office.

Welcome to the group.

Steve

Steve,

Total time is 161 hrs mostly in 172’s and Piper Light Sport Cruz. I chose the Mooney after considering what type of flying I really wanted to enjoy (my mission) for personal use and work as well as the strength / safety of the design and the speed and minimal fuel consumption. 

Panel is vintage with IFR capabilities. I plan on modernizing after I fly her a while. Nothing special about the panel now, just solid performance. I plan on taking extensive training in her and learning as much as I can.  I’m in no hurry.  Eventually I’ll pursue my instrument rating.