Strobes

Raptor05121

Picture two MSers on your shoulders... A CB carrying a red pitchfork and that other guy carrying an iPad full of big G apps and electronic Big G manuals...

How many hours did you get from that one xenon bulb?

That was not original equipment.  Probably logged somewhere...  if it is 10years old and has 1000 hours on it...

Expect Spending $100 per bulb will delay having to spend $300 for a nifty LED unit...

A net savings of $200... today.

At the rate you are flying, 200hrs per year...?

Expect to get another 1000 hours, but it will happen in five years instead.

The LED one probably would be the last one you would buy for this bird....

Probably not the high five, go spend it, your bird needs it, you’ll save so much in the long run, you were hoping for...  :)

On the other hand....

LED Technology has grown a lot. The units are smaller and lighter. A few hours of overtime can make it work, you want it, go for it!!! :)

PP thoughts only, as seen through the eyes of a machine buyer, always comparing options with an analytical eye...

Best regards,

-a-

As I've postwd here before, when my old Whelen flasher started flashing with variabke intermittance, I went for the new Whelen LED. Mostly because when I went to the Whelen booth at Sun n Fun and gave the guy my part number, he said "Wow, that's old. Let me shiw yiu what you need." That was the last credit card transaction from Hangar D befire the tornadoes came down the runway . . . .

Here's what they look like. I reused the trim ring from the old one, it fit perfectly on the new LED unit as shown:

image.thumb.jpg.6fc0051b354d24666057957e000b2fd7.jpg.9269477ccfde6541f8577d0f6e9db2d1.jpg

As others have said, it's-a plenty bright!

It's also red & white, same orientation as before. I double-checked several other planes on the field before committing to the screwdriver, just to be sure.  Even though the holes only lined up one way.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

Those Red Barons are cute! Are they approved for certified airplanes?

Aircraft Spruce lists them as for experimental use only...

What would happen if someone put that on a certified plane and kept their old beacon just in case they needed to put it back in? Just asking for a friend...

7 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

What would happen if someone put that on a certified plane and kept their old beacon just in case they needed to put it back in? Just asking for a friend...

There are only three times your friend would have a problem. (1) If his IA catches it at annual (and cares). (2) If a vigilant FAA guys catches it on a ramp check. (3) After he crashes and the investigators find it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Those Red Barons are cute! Are they approved for certified airplanes?

There’s a whole bunch of threads about this on Beechtalk about that unit specifically. Some have bought the certified version only to find it’s got a green page which is a Malaysian airworthiness approval and it is approved by treaty.  Others bought the regular version and did a 337. But if it has a set of conforming wingtip strobes then the fuselage beacon may not be required, then it’s a minor alteration. 

Yes and like I said the only difference is the box includes a green Malaysian airworthiness paper which is legal because it’s reciprocal by treaty. Cheap, really. 

Here. If you want to pay 300$ for it you can. https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92290&hilit=Red+Baron+xp+certified

Edited by jetdriven