bob865

My Engine Heater

17 hours ago, Yetti said:

and possibly the cabin too?

I have considered getting a T fitting to put air into the cabin and into the cowling so I get into a warm plane too.  It's always an option.  Just more hardware to transport though.

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

16 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Also, I'm not clear on how the heater works--does it actually burn the diesel and use the exhaust gas, or does it convert it into electricity and then heat an electric element?

Like @larryb said, they are separate.  I will try to take a picture of the back of the box when I get home so you can get a better idea.

17 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I fitted my plug-in heater with a 4 inch semi-flexible (think clothes dryer) hose. I stick it up into the cowl flap and crack the oil filler door on top to allow some movement of air.

I actually get better results by keeping the oil filler door closed and a blanket in top.

It seems like the hot air rises from the heater tube in one cowl flap and then the cold air is displaced to exit from the other cowl flap, maybe?

Or simply rises thru any gaps around the cylinders and out the intakes...blanket a good idea

55 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I actually get better results by keeping the oil filler door closed and a blanket in top.

It seems like the hot air rises from the heater tube in one cowl flap and then the cold air is displaced to exit from the other cowl flap, maybe?

You are probably right. I haven't used mine enough to get any worthwhile experience.

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

That would make sense for a 60W light bulb or small heater, no sense opening up the oil filler door.  The warm air will simply rise to the top, and cooler air will come out the other cowl flap.

For a more powerful heater, I suppose it might be helpful to open the oil filler door to keep the accessory compartment from getting baked, but I imagine it'd have to be a pretty powerful heater!

My propane setup produces twice yours, 35000 BTUs and it takes between 20 and 30 minutes to pre-heat when the OAT is -20C. I’ll post a picture when I get home. While the aircraft is at annual, I decided to replace the 4 inch pipe and some other fittings. Have been using it for a few decades and it never let me down.

Yves

39 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

That would make sense for a 60W light bulb or small heater, no sense opening up the oil filler door.  The warm air will simply rise to the top, and cooler air will come out the other cowl flap.

For a more powerful heater, I suppose it might be helpful to open the oil filler door to keep the accessory compartment from getting baked, but I imagine it'd have to be a pretty powerful heater!

This is a great point- my heater is a fairly small one - 1500W.  I use it to supplement my Reiff on really cold Michigan days.

9 hours ago, yvesg said:

when the OAT is -20C.

Yves

I am just going to put it out there that if the OAT were to ever hit that, I am packing and moving further south.