Brittain Auto Pilot Accu-TracII/Accu Flite

Hi  Fellow Brittain AP Lovers-

Okay, now that Brittain has closed down ( hopefully temporarily) what avionic shops are the experts on Brittain AP? I am in the

Midwest ( Chicago Area) does any one know of any shops that has some experience? I have talked with Cecilia

Henderson ( Brittain) and she said any avionic shop can do installations. I wanted a shop with some experience. I want to get my B11

currently installed with toggle switches ( no Control Panel) properly installed and add the B12. I have assembled too many parts

Accu Trac II Control Panel.  So I am offering several of these key items for sale here before I place them on ebay.

I.  Servo Control Valve, Model BI 805 (  recondition unsed with copy of yellow tag) This is the item that is hardest to locate

(it will work both B11- tracks VOR's & GPS / B12 will track a DG heading) ...( plus $15 shipping)......................$795

II. Control Panel- for Accu- Trac II ( used- statement from avionic company approved for service)

This is the second generation control panel       ( plus $15 shipping)........................................................................$495

I would like to sell both items together.

The BI805 and Control Panel are key items for the Accu-Trak and the BI805 is also used in

both Accu-Flite & Accu Trak system.   I Hope Brittain is Able to Re-Open Soon, My First Choice For Installation.

Email : lsmith9233@comcast.net or call 630.880.3044

DSC_0451.NEF

DSC_0449.NEF

DSC_0434.NEF

DSC_0433.NEF

Edited by Cabo Lee
Added photos

With the closure (hopefully temporary) of Brittain, I would expect parts prices like for the rare BI805 to drop. The reason is simple: Without   a way to certify them, owners will be less interested in them. I was looking for one myself but having second thoughts now. I am becoming more incline to go with the new kids on the block autopilots (the few experimental devices that are becoming approved).

Yves

I have the Accutrack AP and it works really well. In the 7 years I have owned the aircraft the servo control valve has failed twice but not a big deal. Easy removal, sent to Brittain and a week later and a couple of hundred bucks and good as new. If it fails again however, who will fix it? May be the end of the road for this simple AP. Hopefully not but have already started looking at the new alternatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, this is my first time on the site. I would hate to see Brittain Industries close. Last weekend I went to look at the business to possibly purchase it. I'm curious to know what the needs are for autopilot repairs and new accessories. Share with me, if you would, what your thoughts are regarding this.

2 minutes ago, jeff forbes said:

Hello everyone, this is my first time on the site. I would hate to see Brittain Industries close. Last weekend I went to look at the business to possibly purchase it. I'm curious to know what the needs are for autopilot repairs and new accessories. Share with me, if you would, what your thoughts are regarding this.

Welcome, Jeff!

Many of us have and love our Brittain units in their different versions and combinations. I personally have an AccuFlite and AccuTrak II, and they greatly increase the pleasure of flying by reducing my workload, especially in IMC. They are probably also nice in congested airspace, but I don't go there so can't comment.

Periodically there are issues best resolved by returning a part or two for inspection, servicing or overhaul. This is most often servos with holes in the rubber seals, but may sometimes be the computer that lives in the tail.

There is also great demand for the Altitude Hold units, which appear to be as rare as hen's teeth. Sometimes older unjts are obtained ("barn finds") requiring sericing before installation; even these have been highly regarded because they are no longer available. It is my understanding that Brittain was on the road to reintroducing these units (BI-106?); see above for the pent up demand.

Many of us have high hopes that Brittain Industries will continue into the foreseeable future. Best wishes if it is under your stewardship! 

• Like 2

Welcome Jeff.

I have no actual knowledge, so take what I say with a grain of salt. From what I read and hear, there is an ongoing need of the repair and parts by Brittain, and my guess is that it will continue well into the future. However, if some one anticipates that market could be increased ten-fold by advertising, etc., I would expect them to be disappointed. New innovations and their value are a whole other question and far above my pay grade.

They refurbished multiple components for my system.  They completed replacement of servos/tubing and installation of Altitude Hold unit in my plane.  The new owner would continue to likely get significant refurb and installation business as well as sales from new tubing and connectors.  I love my Brittain system and hope service/support remains viable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Brittain devote and would like to see the products continue. The Britain wing leveler system was part of the basic certification of the vintage Mooneys as I understand it, and was heavly advertised for the safety enhancement it created. Hard to beat the simplicity and ease of maintenance. Put me down for an Altitude hold if ever available again. I have an Accutrac II and it serves my needs perfectly. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am also in the market for maintenance of my Mooney m20c Brittain Auto Pilot as the P/C system works great but the Accu_trak (sp?) auto pilot does not respond to intercept with my Garmin 430 upgraded by Garmin to WAAS and also the Garmin 345 transponder. I would love to know someone is taking over the Brittain systems for maintenance and parts. I would love to find an altitude hold to couple with the Garmin GPS and transponder I have invested in. I located an A/P familiar with auto pilots who will look at my Brittain system to see if he can get the basic tracking functions working again. One more vote for keeping this system going!

I am also in the market for maintenance of my Mooney m20c Brittain Auto Pilot as the P/C system works great but the Accu_trak (sp?) auto pilot does not respond to intercept with my Garmin 430 upgraded by Garmin to WAAS and also the Garmin 345 transponder. I would love to know someone is taking over the Brittain systems for maintenance and parts. I would love to find an altitude hold to couple with the Garmin GPS and transponder I have invested in. I located an A/P familiar with auto pilots who will look at my Brittain system to see if he can get the basic tracking functions working again. One more vote for keeping this system going!

I feel your pain. Mine still works perfectly (Accutrack) and I’m hoping it continues to do so until trutrack or trio A/P’s get certified for Mooney. I even purchased a complete accuflite with a heading bug directional gyro but have not installed it yet and I don’t know if it is worth spending the money to install it if it’s no longer supported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...