S-TEC Looking for 15 Mooney owners

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 is a fully featured, attitude-based autopilot that gives you a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities that were previously unavailable on aftermarket autopilots. Compatible with advanced digital sources & EFIS displays from Garmin, Aspen and others, the S-TEC 3100 delivers unmatched features and benefits:

• Precise, digital flight control for every phase of flight
  • 2-axis (3-axis option on some models)
  • Automatic Trim included
  • Envelope Protection/Alerting
  • Straight and Level Recovery
  • Precision Approaches/Missed Approaches
  • Indicated Airspeed Hold
  • Altitude Preselect
  • And much more!

For the Mooney owners who currently have an S-TEC autopilot installed, the upgrade price will depend on the equipment already installed. This will be an outstanding bargain to get the benefits of a fully integrated digital autopilot, especially considering the additional safety features which it will bring. Upgrades start at $9,995 retail.

For the Mooney owners who currently do not have an S-TEC autopilot installed. The 2-axis S-TEC 3100 is $19,995 retail for a new digital flight control system, which includes altitude hold, auto trim and altitude preselect, as well as new features such as envelope protection and straight and level mode. The 3-axis version adds Yaw Damper and is $24,995 retail.

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC autopilot STC process is determined by which model owners express interest. This past 6 months we have received requests from a number of Mooney owners’ inquiring about an upgrade path or for a new 3100 Autopilot system installation.  We would need a commitment from 15 same model owners to proceed with the STC. The commitments would be in the form of a purchase order to a Genesys Authorized Installation Center.

The biggest benefit to submitting a purchase order early is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). In addition, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered. 

If you have questions or would like to find your nearest Genesys-Aerosystems Dealer please email or call me direct:

Barry LeBlanc

Genesys Aerosystems Regional Sales Manager

PH: 940.327.0707

Email: Barry.LeBlanc@genesys-aerosystems.com

Visit our website: www.genesys-aerosystems.com

> Click here to tell us which aircraft types we should add to the approved STC list for the new S-TEC 3100 Digital Flight Control   System!

GenesysAerosystems_S-TEC_3100__Digital_Autopilot_Brochure_2017 (002).pdf

Edited by Barry LeBlanc
Correct email
  • Like 2

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 is a fully featured, attitude-based autopilot that gives you a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities that were previously unavailable on aftermarket autopilots. Compatible with advanced digital sources & EFIS displays from Garmin, Aspen and others, the S-TEC 3100 delivers unmatched features and benefits:

• Altitude Preselect
  • And much more!

For the Mooney owners who currently have an S-TEC autopilot installed, the upgrade price will depend on the equipment already installed. This will be an outstanding bargain to get the benefits of a fully integrated digital autopilot, especially considering the additional safety features which it will bring. Upgrades start at $9,995 retail.

For the Mooney owners who currently do not have an S-TEC autopilot installed. The 2-axis S-TEC 3100 is $19,995 retail for a new digital flight control system, which includes altitude hold, auto trim and altitude preselect, as well as new features such as envelope protection and straight and level mode. The 3-axis version adds Yaw Damper and is $24,995 retail.

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC autopilot STC process is determined by which model owners express interest. This past 6 months we have received requests from a number of Mooney owners’ inquiring about an upgrade path or for a new 3100 Autopilot system installation.  We would need a commitment from 15 same model owners to proceed with the STC. The commitments would be in the form of a purchase order to a Genesys Authorized Installation Center.
The biggest benefit to submitting a purchase order early is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). In addition, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are.
The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered. 
If you have questions or would like to find your nearest Genesys-Aerosystems Dealer please email or call me direct:
Barry LeBlanc
Email: barry.leblanc@genesys-aerosystems.com
> Click here to tell us which aircraft types we should add to the approved STC list for the new S-TEC 3100 Digital Flight Control   System!

Barry - I certainly would be interested in knowing more. I will email you the specifics on my plane. Obviously, the main interest is the IAS climb and the upset control. I also know that Garmin has plans to introduce the 500 or 600 series with many of the same features.

My plane has a 60-2 system installed in 1998. Interfaces with an Aspen system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Altitude Preselect
  • And much more!

Barry LeBlanc
Email: barry.leblanc@genesys-aerosystems.com
Those prices are not installed correct???

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, Barry...

Digital Auto Pilots have been getting a lot of discussion lately.

Hope you have some time for us. As there will be a few people from around the world that visit MooneySpace on various days.  The weekends get even more attention...

there are a few common APs that are installed in the Mooney family including BK and some other guys...

I have a BK KAP150 system.  Four servos, and computer head.  Any method of updating to your system?

Best regards,

-a-

Barry - welcome to your first round of MooneySpace hammering. :D We can be a tough crowd at times.

As a regional sales manager, you are probably acutely aware of the price points your competitors are expected to be charging for the newer generation digital autopilots. As a loyal STEC owner, I certainly want to support your business. That said, I think competition is a healthy thing in this industry. If Garmin releases the GFC 500 at the expected $6,000 list price and it costs me $4,000 to install it, I would have a hard time justifying $10,000 to upgrade a 20 year old autopilot and reusing the old servos. I'm not a huge Garmin fan as they already have a lot of my money but if they do provide a completely new system at a lower price point, many of us will probably head in their direction.

The value prop is what does it do that the competition isn't expect to do?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

Barry - I certainly would be interested in knowing more. I will email you the specifics on my plane. Obviously, the main interest is the IAS climb and the upset control. I also know that Garmin has plans to introduce the 500 or 600 series with many of the same features.

Hi,

Thank you for being an S-TEC 60-2 Autopilot owner. The S-TEC Autopilots are a building block program. All S-TEC autopilots systems use hardware, servos, and sensors common throughout the product line. Depending on what equipment you have installed, the 60-2 system can be upgraded to a 3100 Autopilot.

I would ask you to send me aGenesysAerosystems_S-TEC_3100__Digital_Autopilot_Brochure_2017 (002).pdf email with your model type, serial number and your preferred  Genesys-Aerosystems Avionics shop. 

Yes, the 3100 Autopilot has these features and more. 

• Altitude Preselect
13 hours ago, Marauder said:

Edited by Barry LeBlanc

I’m interested.

Since I have an Aspen PFD,  the GFC500 is never, ever; it is only certified with G5’s. Period.  (G still not interested in playing with others!) Therefore, the GFC 600 would be my only Garmin option, and An STC for Mooney 201 is not on the horizon in my lifetime. And it’s more money. 

Who knows if we will ever see others step up.

36 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Barry - welcome to your first round of MooneySpace hammering. :D We can be a tough crowd at times.

As a regional sales manager, you are probably acutely aware of the price points your competitors are expected to be charging for the newer generation digital autopilots. As a loyal STEC owner, I certainly want to support your business. That said, I think competition is a healthy thing in this industry. If Garmin releases the GFC 500 at the expected $6,000 list price and it costs me $4,000 to install it, I would have a hard time justifying $10,000 to upgrade a 20 year old autopilot and reusing the old servos. I'm not a huge Garmin fan as they already have a lot of my money but if they do provide a completely new system at a lower price point, many of us will probably head in their direction.

Those are my sentiments exactly.  I an older Century autopilot that doesnt work half the time,  I have been waiting to see if Stec would compete with Garmin, they will have to if they expect to sell against the GFC 500.  They should make the price adjustment sooner than later or they will lose market share.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

I’m interested.

Since I have an Aspen PFD,  the GFC500 is never, ever; it is only certified with G5’s. Period.  (G still not interested in playing with others!) Therefore, the GFC 600 would be my only Garmin option, and An STC for Mooney 201 is not on the horizon in my lifetime. And it’s more money. 

Who knows if we will ever see others step up.

Cheapper to get duall G5’s and GFC 500 than the stec price.

Edited by gacoon

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Hi,

Thank you for the warm welcome and yes it is part of the job description to take the comments and reply to them. I think competition is healthy and is good for everyone in this industry. S-TEC is committed to working with any manufacturer that will integrate the S-TEC Autopilot. I understand your price point. I would ask your Avionics shop to quote you the difference in pricing. The devil is in the details. 

S-TEC Autopilots are a building block design philosophy. The company started in 1978 with the System 60 and 20, we are still manufacturing and supporting the first generation autopilots that were sold. This should indicate that the S-TEC will be here and stand by its products. 

The biggest benefit to submitting a purchase order early is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). In addition, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are. The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered.

Please send me an email with your airplane model, serial number and what you currently have installed in your aircraft. My email is:  barry.leblanc@genesys-aerosystems.com or call me at 940.327.0707 anytime. 

Just to understand correctly you need 15 people for each model, c/e/f/j?  

The special warranty needs to be permanent if you want to sell any units down the road.  Also the delta between current owners and new owners will probably drive away all of the latter. 

The new BK box is dead in the water imo for forcing people to use an expensive external attitude source and for being a BK box in general.  Don’t dig your grave next to theirs. 

The roughly triple cost of competitor products that do the same things is a complete non starter..  not sure what stec’s product manager is thinking...   not to mention the policy that renders almost no residual value if the owner ends up wanting to sell the system later on.  

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

not to mention the policy that renders almost no residual value if the owner ends up wanting to sell the system later on.  

Is that true with all AP systems?  STC’d for only one aircraft?  I did read that you have to send in your head unit to receive the upgrade price which seems fair.  It also plays nicely with non Garmin equipment which is a win in my book. The price for new customers is a little out there but the upgrade is in line as it is a stand alone unit. 

If the price were on par with the competition, I would be all over it. However, the upgrade price is double that of the competition and I read that you want my current unit as a trade in (not that it has any value based upon an insane STC system). I will stick with what I have for now and will look to Trutrak and Garmin when it is upgrade time as I would hate to see your prices when the special is over. Stec is going to price itself out of the market.

#notmymooney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Barry, perhaps you can give us some insight what is happening at Sandia?  Complete lack of customer support, emails not being returned etc.  I'm tired of being an early adopter of new products, listing to all the manufacturers promises, then a year or two later you have got an expensive brick in your panel.  Is that why you left?

S-Tec had the upgrade market by the balls - and they dropped it.  Expensive customer service, inability to transfer from one plane to another etc.  

I'm so glad that Garmin have come out with an autopilot - I'll take that any day for my C172 over TruTrak, Trio and yes, even S-Tec.  Even with their flat rate servicing, at least they make a really good product and understand that they need product life cycles of 10-20 years, not 3 to 4 years.

If you think a 3 year warranty is a benefit - good luck.  Seems to me you are saying that you expect problems in year 3?   My KFC200 has worked reliably for going on 38 years now, with only 2 servo changes in 2500 hours.  Two KI256 overhauls.  It flies better than any S-Tec autopilot I have flown behind.  

I understand there is a huge cost in certifying autopilots - seems to me that the cost of hardware is relatively low, and it should be a low risk to provide a 5 year warranty.  Sure some flight schools might use up a servo or two, but you should be showing more confidence that 2 to 3 years?

Don

• Like 2

Yes, I think the word is decorum...

No need to go off the deep end, McMooney.

Best I can tell... Barry is bringing...

• a digital autopilot
  • complete with Gpss
  • speed control 
  • envelope protection
  • Prices that don’t fit 90% of the MS community

Generally A nice piece of competition.

I’m not sure what Barry’s skills are.  Not sure if he has seen a Mooney before.

But, if we want to get something out of him we probably can show him some basic level of respect.

As a Customer, I haven't gotten a discount or any extra work thrown in, by swearing at people.

Seems like Barry may be new to the S-Tec group.  He is probably finding what an uphill battle he has on his hands.

Somebody pointed out above... Buying and selling Used S-Tec devices can be an added STC expense and hassle.

We’re about to find out how strong Barry's skills are.

Question for Barry, is A Mooney going to get any value out of Yaw Damper?

Best regards,

-a-

We all start in the same place my friend.

I can assure you my 65C didn’t get an AP.  It wouldn't have gotten one for 5AMU either.

Are you insulted by the S-Tec price?

I used to get angry by that kind of pricing strategy, and presentation.  

After you have seen a few presentations that aren't targeted towards you, they get easier to ignore.

25amu upgrades for planes aren’t going to be picked up by many people.

Garmin gave(?) us an example of this type of expensive upgrade to add WAAS to the G1000 nav system.

Voice your disinterest, but realize some MSers may actually be interested in this system, especially if they have most of the parts already.

No need to take out your frustration on me. I’m generally here to help other people out...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2