Under Wing Small Inspection cover

Rookie

19 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

There is a guy on eBay who has been selling them for $12 shipped for several years. I bought a couple from him. Very satisfied. Strip, clean, and repaint for like new appearance. 

Jim

Thanks

31 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

There is a guy on eBay who has been selling them for $12 shipped for several years. I bought a couple from him. Very satisfied. Strip, clean, and repaint for like new appearance. 

Jim

Any Idea who that guy is on EBay?

If you have the old part and have some basic tools, that would be a prime candidate for a user-produced replacement part if your A&P was willing to sign off on it.  Cut out some aluminum sheet the same width, paint and install a few nutplates.

The only limitation would be if the old panel had the kind of recessed or bulging contour to make it flush with the skin, that would be much harder to fabricate.

30 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

If you have the old part and have some basic tools, that would be a prime candidate for a user-produced replacement part if your A&P was willing to sign off on it.  Cut out some aluminum sheet the same width, paint and install a few nutplates.

The only limitation would be if the old panel had the kind of recessed or bulging contour to make it flush with the skin, that would be much harder to fabricate.

I'll let you know, thanks.

The other option if you had the old panel but it was damaged, you could ask your A&P to repair it.  As long as he keeps at least one part of the panel, like one nutplate, he can call it a minor repair (using the "golden rivet rule").  If you don't have the old panel, neither the owner-produced part or the "golden rivet" would work, and you'd be stuck with getting a replacement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

The other option if you had the old panel but it was damaged, you could ask your A&P to repair it.  As long as he keeps at least one part of the panel, like one nutplate, he can call it a minor repair (using the "golden rivet rule").  If you don't have the old panel, neither the owner-produced part or the "golden rivet" would work, and you'd be stuck with getting a replacement.

There is no repair imaginable to an inspection panel that would ever be considered "major". 

There is also nothing at all wrong with the A&P fabricating a new one using his A&P certificate as a basis for the fabrication and repair, or for the owner to fabricate one on his own for the A&P to install, so long as the mechanic verifies that it functions comparably to the original.

Its an inspection panel.  We're not talking about fabricating a new engine (or even engine mount, for that sake).

Edit- sorry to disagree with you, or if that came out snarky or like a rant.  I just wanted to put out some information that was a little more accurate.  

I readily admit it never hurts to err on the conservative side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

There is also nothing at all wrong with the A&P fabricating a new one using his A&P certificate as a basis for the fabrication and repair, or for the owner to fabricate one on his own for the A&P to install, so long as the mechanic verifies that it functions comparably to the original.

If I understand correctly, an A&P (or an IA for that matter) cannot produce a new part for replacement.  An A&P can "repair" a part, which only requires some part of the original part.  An owner can produce a part by being "involved" in production (which could simply giving the old part to someone to duplicate) and having it signed off by an A&P, who needs the original part to compare it to. 

The upshot--if the part is damaged, no problem either way.  If the part is lost, though, that's a problem, and buying a replacement/used part is the only legal way.

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

If I understand correctly, an A&P (or an IA for that matter) cannot produce a new part for replacement.  An A&P can "repair" a part, which only requires some part of the original part.  An owner can produce a part by being "involved" in production (which could simply giving the old part to someone to duplicate) and having it signed off by an A&P, who needs the original part to compare it to. 

The upshot--if the part is damaged, no problem either way.  If the part is lost, though, that's a problem, and buying a replacement/used part is the only legal way.

You can't fabricate a replacement for a lost cover by using one of the other five identical covers on the bottom of the wings? Where's the sense in that?? As an owner, can't I hand a cover to a sheet metal guy and have him make several for my use? I just can't have him make one for you from one of mine. 

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

If I understand correctly, an A&P (or an IA for that matter) cannot produce a new part for replacement.  

Not necessarily true, but it depends on the part, and the level of liability and responsibility the A&P wishes to take on.

As an example: engine baffling.  There are specific part numbers for your IO-360 silicone rubber seals and aluminum baffling for your engine and cowling. Bulk 3" wide strips of silicone material can be purchased that are FAA approved and meet or exceed the original from the parts manual.  Neither I nor any A&P I know would have any second thoughts about replacing your aluminum or rubber baffle seals on your engine- and I will bet you have some pieces on your airplane that were not acquired from the Mooney factory.

Another example- carpeting.  As long as the materials used are appropriately burn-certified, there is nothing preventing an A&P (or an owner, for that matter, under preventative maintenance) from cutting a new piece of carpet, binding the edge, and installing it, even though there are Mooney Factory part numbers for the original piece of carpet.

Another example, from the opposite perspective: oil lines.  Nothing prevents an A&P from fabricating oil lines, pressure checking them, and installing them.  The difference here is simply why? By the time you build and test the new line, you may as well have bought one brand new.  Additionally, few if any A&Ps would want to take the responsibility and liability of an oil line failure on himself, so they wouldn't. 

Andy

(A&P for 20 years, IA for 15)

One of the challenges for making inspection covers...

They are not flat.  The have a formed edge, so they sit level with the sheet metal of the wing...

Not a big deal, but when you can buy one from mr. Sanford...  (insert music here :))

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Yetti said:

More than likely at the factory they are formed with a press.  The probably are even cut out with a die.

I have found that the non-fuel tank covers are interchangeable and fit perfectly. The flush fuel tank covers are partially hand made and don't fit perfectly if moved from its original location or rotated. They will usually fit but the gaps may be uneven and the dimples may not line up perfectly.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:48 PM, carusoam said:

One of the challenges for making inspection covers...

They are not flat.  The have a formed edge, so they sit level with the sheet metal of the wing...

Not a big deal, but when you can buy one from mr. Sanford...  (insert music here :))

Best regards,

-a-

That's what I was afraid of.  You can forget making one yourself unless you have a hydroforming machine or something:huh:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

That's what I was afraid of.  You can forget making one yourself unless you have a hydroforming machine or something:huh:

Because you could never cut an oval dimple into a piece of oak, and hammer a piece of .050" aluminum into it . . . If you only need one, it'll work, but you won't want to make full sets for several Mooneys.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hank said:

Because you could never cut an oval dimple into a piece of oak, and hammer a piece of .050" aluminum into it . . . If you only need one, it'll work, but you won't want to make full sets for several Mooneys.

I should rephrase that-- I would forget about making one because that sounds like too much work :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I should rephrase that-- I would forget about making one because that sounds like too much work :D

Route it out to depth, then chamfer the edges with a chisel. Even a little trim router should be able to do it.  ;)

• Like 1

Or just buy the correct one from Alan. Mooney used several different types, internal flush covers, external covers with a flush ring inside, and also surface mounted covers, most with screws, but some with rivets.

Clarence

10 hours ago, Hank said:

Route it out to depth, then chamfer the edges with a chisel. Even a little trim router should be able to do it.  ;)

there was a guy who formed a bunch of ribs for a  I think a Bearkhawk using a hydraulic press some oak and rubber matting.   I would probably use a sanding center to form the curve on the oak. (and lose some skin in the process)  you are going negative I would go positive on the die.  Positive die would be easier I think

Edited by Yetti