Gobal Aero Maintenance - KVDF

BaldEagle

Hi all,

Looking at a '78 J this weekend.  It's based at KVDF and if all goes well I'll be needing a pre-purchase.  It looks like there is only one maintenance shop on the field.  Anyone have any experience / opinion on using Global Aero Maintenance for a pre-purchase inspection?  They work on Mooneys, but are not an MSC.  I'm also considering Daytona Aircraft, who are asking for less $$$ and are an MSC, but this would be disruptive for the seller as he'd have to fly it over there and camp out for a day.

First question I would ask is who has been doing the maintenance on it? I would want someone different to do the PPI.

I would think if the seller wants to sell the plane, a :45 flight to Daytona (with expenses reimbursed by the buyer) would not be horrible.

I am making the assumption you will not be in attendance, based on your location.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Eagle.

If you want to get a feeling for the Mooney Knowledge at Daytona...

Look for the thread around here where they completely updated a Mooney to better than new condition, or something similar like that.

Search for JClemmens at Daytona...

Thread was updated continuously with photos...

It is a good idea to have the PPI done by a different shop than the previous maintenance.

Best regards,

-a-

Jake Clemmens guys know Mooneys (Daytona). They will know to look for things like trim tube wear, steering horn slop and issues, etc that a lot of shops that do not regularly work on Mooneys will just be ignorant of.

Ask the owner go out of his way a bit, he shouldn't have an issue if it is a good plane.