Clouds

MARZ

22 minutes ago, Wayne Cease said:

Midtown and downtown Atlanta.  I've got another one somewhere with the Hartsfield tower sticking out and a commercial airliner climbing just above the clouds; same day.

MidtownDowntown_800x600.jpg.b766bbbdae6e031753c440d51f464ae8.jpg

I know that tower...it's right on the approach to runways 3L/R at PDK!

11 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

Jose, this is the one I was thinking of. Used it a few times before getting my instrument rating to make sure I would maintain cloud clearances. 05a6d50ca1e63ebde3b44de38a3e3b25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice, unfortunately my cell phone is a Samsung S7 Android, oh well back to the old fashion level scope.

10 hours ago, RLCarter said:

As a rule of thumb, anything below the horizon from your point of view is below your altitude, at the horizon is at your altitude and above the horizon is higher than you

You are right, but high terrain such as a mountain range in the horizon behind the clouds can mislead you. Usually I encounter foggy sky or a solid line of clouds on the horizon line making it difficult to asses the horizon.

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

Looks nice, unfortunately my cell phone is a Samsung S7 Android, oh well back to the old fashion level scope.

The Fltplan Go app has a similar cloud-top camera in the tools section, and it has the advantage of being FREE!

Sorry, I have difficulty saying the word FREE! without getting loud.  After all, the cheapest you can get is FREE! 

Really, Fltplan Go is quite good, and has almost all the functionality of Foreflight and more for FREE!  Avare is another FREE! Android EFB worth looking into.  Less polished, but faster and better in some ways.

Did I mention I like things that are FREE!? :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The Fltplan Go app has a similar cloud-top camera in the tools section, and it has the advantage of being FREE!

Sorry, I have difficulty saying the word FREE! without getting loud.  After all, the cheapest you can get is FREE! 

Really, Fltplan Go is quite good, and has almost all the functionality of Foreflight and more for FREE!  Avare is another FREE! Android EFB worth looking into.  Less polished, but faster and better in some ways.

You can do better you can get paid to use things. :D Though that is rare unless you are already famous.:o

22 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I am definitely in the pro-FltPlanGo camp!  I get Foreflight free from work, but I actually prefer using and flying with FltPlan Go.

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

On Android Fltpln Go has what I think is a fatal flaw, in that if you hit the 'back' button twice it'll completely exit the app without asking.   I've had dumb things happen like the seat belt tail slaps it a couple times while I'm fiddling with something else and when I come back to it the app is gone, closed, went away.   Had that happen too many times and a few times at very inopportune moments, so I've been using Avare ever since (which doesn't do that).   I did like Fltpln Go better, especially their traffic display, but that seemed like a safety issue to me, and at a minimum was a high-level annoyance that I didn't need.

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

My kind of application. But now I realize that I use my cell phone Garmin Pilot to check weather ahead while simultaneously cross checking with the level scope. The level scope is not too bad to use. The basic bubble principle makes it very reliable and accurate.

5 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

I know that tower...it's right on the approach to runways 3L/R at PDK!

Yep.

Best part was flying into the airport to pick up an Angel Flight passenger and the automated weather was reporting overcast at 100'.  ATC asks what my intentions were and I said, "I plan to do the ILS XX".  The plane's owner was riding with me to see about Angel Flight and that got his attention.  :D

I told him we'd shoot it and if the automated weather was right we'd go missed and go to Columbus, GA.  Columbus was reporting 300', so I knew we could go there on the missed if needed to wait it out.  I didn't tell him I'd do a few more laps in that for some good practice though.  B)  Didn't want to wig him out too much.  He later said he didn't like to go below 400' or 500'.  I'll fly whatever's on the plate, but not another foot.  We broke out at ~280' AGL with a 200' AGL limit.  Visibility under the ceiling was well beyond visibility minimums. 

Gotta get the full value of that instrument rating.  ;)

I'm not sure why he doesn't like to go down that low.  I've flown safety pilot for him and he hand flew an ILS like it was on rails.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

On Android Fltpln Go has what I think is a fatal flaw, in that if you hit the 'back' button twice it'll completely exit the app without asking.   I've had dumb things happen like the seat belt tail slaps it a couple times while I'm fiddling with something else and when I come back to it the app is gone, closed, went away.   Had that happen too many times and a few times at very inopportune moments, so I've been using Avare ever since (which doesn't do that).   I did like Fltpln Go better, especially their traffic display, but that seemed like a safety issue to me, and at a minimum was a high-level annoyance that I didn't need.

My cheapo Samsung tablet (a Galaxy Tab A 8") has a screen protect function, where you can lock out not only the hardware buttons, but parts of the screen.  I think it's an Android function that not every manufacturer turns on, but should check it out.

Avare is great and faster, but definitely less polished.  The main gripe I have about Fltplan Go is that the charts servers are painfully slow, sometimes taking 8-12 hours to download chart updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

yeah we get a different perspective on clouds.  People on the ground don realize clouds have 3 dimensions.

Actually, they have 4 dimensions--those suckers change really quickly in the summertime! I enjoy watching the tops billow and grow when they arent growing towards where I'm about to fly! 

20 hours ago, Piloto said:

Beautiful pictures. When approaching a line of clouds in the horizon I always wondered if I will be over or do I need to climb. I solved the issue by using a level scope. Just look at clouds through the scope with the bubble centered and it will show your relative height to the cloud top. It gives you plenty of time to start a climb if needed. You can get these scopes for $17.

There's an app in the fltplan go toolkit that does the exact same thing as the site level for smart phone users.  

Some of my favorites....

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_8013-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_6159.JPG

20120928_185657.jpg

20120825_200042.jpg

IMG_20131006_183550.jpg

IMG_4485.JPG

• Like 2