STEC 3100 Digital Autopilot

5 hours ago, Steve W said:

One thing to note is that the G5 is the GFC500 controller. Sure it has a control panel but all the brains. AHRS, Air Data, etc are all the G5. If you want a GFC500 with the G500Txi you'll still have to install at least one G5. I suspect if there were Aspen integration that it would be the same. The GFC600 is more of the STEC stand-alone autopilot competitor.

The stec uses external data as well from an efis or air data computer. Not sure I see the difference. I’ve seen the 600 servos in person. Although I think they have different sizes per application the one I looked at could probably steer a bus....it was massive. 

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

The stec uses external data as well from an efis or air data computer. Not sure I see the difference. I’ve seen the 600 servos in person. Although I think they have different sizes per application the one I looked at could probably steer a bus....it was massive. 

The difference is you always have a G5(in the certified version, I believe Experimentals can use the G3x Touch as the autopilot computer) so Marauder wanting integration without having to install a G5 isn't going to happen on the GFC500. For the GFC500 the 'autopilot computer' that talks to the servos is the G5.

One thing to note is that the G5 is the GFC500 controller. Sure it has a control panel but all the brains. AHRS, Air Data, etc are all the G5. If you want a GFC500 with the G500Txi you'll still have to install at least one G5.

But the G5 also does double duty as a backup which I assume you would want anyway.

I've got a BK KFC 150 autopilot in my 252 right now. It works and there isn't any reason to replace it. But it's inevitable that I will need to replace it at some point. This 3100 is looking like the best candidate. I have a G5, but it's just a back up and I won't install anything that doesn't fully integrate with my Aspen. 

It look like this 3100 would integrate even better than the current KFC150 which doesn't use the Aspen for vertical speed.