STEC 3100 Digital Autopilot

1 hour ago, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

Here is a copy of the 3100 Pilots Operating Handbook. If you would like I can send a PDF version. Thank you. Barry

S-TEC 3100POH.PDF

Thanks! Assuming we get a few more POs in today(!) what's your best estimate of when the STC might be issued for Mooneys and units be available for installation. (I'm a really old guy so time is of the essence... :rolleyes:)

17 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thanks! Assuming we get a few more POs in today(!) what's your best estimate of when the STC might be issued for Mooneys and units be available for installation. (I'm a really old guy so time is of the essence... :rolleyes:)

I am hoping we can secure the 3 purchase orders today. If that was to happen the start date would be in the October time frame.    Here is what I keep posting.. We are getting close. At that time I can gain a slot from our ODA. This purchase order is non-binding (until the STC is issued and we start building the system) so if your circumstances change, you are not obligated to purchase. There is no deposit. Zero money down till we are 3 to 4 weeks out from issuance of STC and then a second call will be placed to all the shops that have placed a Mooney purchase order. At that time, if you proceed, then a deposit would be between you and your avionics shop.

Please send a purchase order today!

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

I’ve put in a request with my favorite Avionics shop, but with new ownership and a routine visit from the feds, not sure how high on their list of priorities my paperwork is.

Hi, Can you message me what shop? Or email me at  barry.leblanc@genesys-aerosystems.com  Thank you!. 

Trying to make an educated decision...  currently have a stec 40 (almost the same as a 30) with no electric trim.

What would the new AP cost with the electric trim option?

Sounds like the install time is around the 40-50 hrs if electric trim is added?

Anyone with a C receive a quote including install for a similar project?

Shooting from the hip I cannot imagine an out the door price being under 15 amu using my current servos. 

What if the current servos test bad during the install?  Currently work to fly the plane but might not pass a bench test?

I think the details to your questions are within this thread but I will try to summarize.  First, if you are even thinking about it, please submit a non-binding PO to help the group get to the magic number of 15 so that they can start the process.  In the process of submitting, your shop will give you an estimate based upon the options you want and the labor required.  That can vary depending on how you want your panel laid out and all the variables that go into that.

The advantage of submitting the early PO is that your servos would be under warranty, no matter how old.  If they are not working, they would be replaced for no cost (Barry can confirm this).  Now that I've pleaded for your help to submit the PO, the truth is that the cost is going to be about 10 amu higher than you were hoping.  If you don't do the electric trim, that can knock 5 amu's off and if your panel has space with little to no effort, your labor costs may be less.  I would budget 25 amu for the process.  That being said, if you decide that is too much, once they get through the STC process and ask for a deposit, you can politely say no.  I hope that hits the highlights.

32 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have not discussed the 3100 with AGL (Lynn) yet so I probably ought to to ask here... can an A&P install an autopilot or will it require an avionics shop?

Bob -- Genesys has a dealer network and I doubt non-dealers will be able to install them.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 11:11 PM, MIm20c said:

Trying to make an educated decision...  currently have a stec 40 (almost the same as a 30) with no electric trim.

What would the new AP cost with the electric trim option?

Sounds like the install time is around the 40-50 hrs if electric trim is added?

Anyone with a C receive a quote including install for a similar project?

Shooting from the hip I cannot imagine an out the door price being under 15 amu using my current servos. 

What if the current servos test bad during the install?  Currently work to fly the plane but might not pass a bench test?

In previous threads I believe the price to upgrade a Stec 30 is $10495. The 3100 includes electric trim but you must have the servo in your AC. If not I think the cost is an additional $1500 for the trim servo equipment. $12K in all plus installation. 

I posted this on the GFC 500 IFD thread:

I have reached out to some Beech and Cessna owners who already have the 3100 installed. Some feedback from them:

“The feedback I have been getting is that the STEC 3100 is more stable than any of the roll based STECs and from a Beech guy who had a KFC 225, it is more stable than it was. He also commented that the button pushing for an LPV is less on the 3100 than the King.

You always need to take what someone says about their new avionics upgrade with a big grain of salt. Few will admit that they spent a lot of money on junk. But from what I can tell, the 3100 is living up to expectations.

What some are waiting for is the Aspen integration. Like with the STEC 55X, you will be able to do the altitude preselects and vertical speed on the Aspens and hopefully since the 3100 has IAS climbs, select it for indicated airspeed climbs. “

Since we are months away from needing to make a deposit, I’ll keep tabs on their progress. So far, so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I posted this on the GFC 500 IFD thread:

I have reached out to some Beech and Cessna owners who already have the 3100 installed. Some feedback from them:

“The feedback I have been getting is that the STEC 3100 is more stable than any of the roll based STECs and from a Beech guy who had a KFC 225, it is more stable than it was. He also commented that the button pushing for an LPV is less on the 3100 than the King.

You always need to take what someone says about their new avionics upgrade with a big grain of salt. Few will admit that they spent a lot of money on junk. But from what I can tell, the 3100 is living up to expectations.

What some are waiting for is the Aspen integration. Like with the STEC 55X, you will be able to do the altitude preselects and vertical speed on the Aspens and hopefully since the 3100 has IAS climbs, select it for indicated airspeed climbs. “

Since we are months away from needing to make a deposit, I’ll keep tabs on their progress. So far, so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boy, this is something I really don't need but just gotta have. along with the upgrade to Aspen MAX.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I... and from a Beech guy who had a KFC 225, it is more stable than it was. He also commented that the button pushing for an LPV is less on the 3100 than the King.

The integration is a huge factor. Now that Garmin has a broad range of AP’s I don’t see them playing nice in the sandbox.  This cuts two ways as people who have different AP’s want integration with the Garmin pfd and those who have aspens etc still might want full features with the Garmin AP. 

The 225 button pushing requirement is a great example of great systems with a far from ideal marriage. 

I have an Aspen with a current stec which probably makes the 3100 and TT the best option going forward. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marauder said:

And just when you thought the bank account was safe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AAPL hit $1,000,000,000,000 this week. (That's with a "T".) 

I own it at $1.93 split adjusted. Playing with the house's money. Don't we live in a great country? 

• Like 3

July 6, 1994... Forest Gump gave an explanation for a part of his accidental wealth... (this is the release date of the movie)

The character erroneously and humorously thought he bought into a fruit company....

Following Forrest’s and Bob’s advice, I had Siri and Alexa help me look up the dates... and found this...

https://www.businessinsider.com/forrest-gump-apple-price-2015-5

Unfortunately, this is backward looking facts, and doesn’t tell enough about the future...

But, I was working in Dallas when I saw the Movie... fun, lasting, memories...

Isn’t it ironic... It was like good advice, I just couldn’t take...  (alanis Morrisette... 1996)

Even If you own it at a split adjusted $90... you would be happy with AAPL today...

PP thoughts only, personal finance is not my area of expertise...

I still am a big fan of a growing economy, and its decreasing unemployment...

Thanks Bob, for sharing your insight... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

July 6, 1994... Forest Gump gave an explanation for a part of his accidental wealth... (this is the release date of the movie)

The character erroneously and humorously thought he bought into a fruit company....

Following Forrest’s and Bob’s advice, I had Siri and Alexa help me look up the dates... and found this...

https://www.businessinsider.com/forrest-gump-apple-price-2015-5

Unfortunately, this is backward looking facts, and doesn’t tell enough about the future...

But, I was working in Dallas when I saw the Movie... fun, lasting, memories...

Isn’t it ironic... It was like good advice, I just couldn’t take...  (alanis Morrisette... 1996)

Even If you own it at a split adjusted $90... you would be happy with AAPL today...

PP thoughts only, personal finance is not my area of expertise...

I still am a big fan of a growing economy, and its decreasing unemployment...

Thanks Bob, for sharing your insight... :)

Best regards,

-a-

"I'd rather be lucky than good." said many people I admire.. 

I bought AAPL 9/2000. Jobs had returned to the company in '97 but their survival was still dicey as I recall. But I'm a fan of buy and hold and the last 10 years have been pretty special.   

• Like 1

"I'd rather be lucky than good." said many people I admire.. 
I bought AAPL 9/2000. Jobs had returned to the company in '97 but their survival was still dicey as I recall. But I'm a fan of buy and hold and the last 10 years have been pretty special.   

Does this mean my next avionics upgrade is on you?

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Does this mean my next avionics upgrade is on you? emoji848.pngemoji6.png

Sure, when it hits $2 trillion with a T the drink will be on the house. I figure you only have space for another $8.00 worth now w/o scrapping something nice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1