STEC 3100 Digital Autopilot

1 hour ago, jma201 said:

I do not often post, but I came across this and thought the thread might have an interest.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't see any integration with the Aspen other than the adjustments being made. The 55X I believe is integrated and you can adjust altitude and other autopilot functions from it directly. I subscribed to his channel and will see if he has other 3100 videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this autopilot require a turn coordinator like the majority of the other s-tec autopilots?

does it also have the ability to be flown solely on alt hold mode without the roll servos activated?

and can it be integrated with a g500 like some of the garmin autopilots? 

just trying to find some more information on this. sorry if i missed answers that have already been posted on here.

Nik

Does this autopilot require a turn coordinator like the majority of the other s-tec autopilots?
does it also have the ability to be flown solely on alt hold mode without the roll servos activated?
just trying to find some more information on this. sorry if i missed answers that have already been posted on here.
Nik

It won’t require the turn coordinator since it uses an AHRS.

Don’t think you can use just the hold by itself.

Unknown about the Garmin integration but heard it will integrate with Aspens in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Try this on for size...

The .pdf gets confused with the auto link posting around here...

click the link, not the graphic below it... (Got ya covered, Deb)  :)

Sure looks like a fancy modern capable update to existing APs...

Best regards,

-a-

http://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/3100 POH 87325.PDF

3100%20POH%2087325.PDF

Edited by carusoam
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2018 at 3:14 PM, Marauder said:

Thanks for sharing. I didn't see any integration with the Aspen other than the adjustments being made. The 55X I believe is integrated and you can adjust altitude and other autopilot functions from it directly. I subscribed to his channel and will see if he has other 3100 videos.

This is key issue for me.  It needs to respect the altitude bug on the Aspen for capture.  You have this issue when flying the older G1000 C182's fitted with KAP140s.  

Utter crap, as you have to set BARO in 3 places and your ALT bug on the G1000 is meaningless as it's not connected to the KAP140.

• Like 1

I have the S-tec 55x with the Aspen upgrade for Altitude Preselect and VS control. 

The Aspen does indeed contain all the control for the autopilot function. You dial in the ALT (preselect) then push the VS button and dial in the climb/descent rate in 100's. Both controlled by the right hand knob on the Aspen. You do have to puch the ALT and VS buttons on the autopilot to start the process.

The Aspen will slow the VS rate as you near the preselect ALT, you get a Sonalert tone and ALT capture. Very nice feature. 

I was told that Aspen is working on this software for the 3100 (not ready yet) 

• Like 1

I have the S-tec 55x with the Aspen upgrade for Altitude Preselect and VS control. 
The Aspen does indeed contain all the control for the autopilot function. You dial in the ALT (preselect) then push the VS button and dial in the climb/descent rate in 100's. Both controlled by the right hand knob on the Aspen. You do have to puch the ALT and VS buttons on the autopilot to start the process.
The Aspen will slow the VS rate as you near the preselect ALT, you get a Sonalert tone and ALT capture. Very nice feature. 
I was told that Aspen is working on this software for the 3100 (not ready yet) 

Tom - how do you think the 3100’s IAS climbs will work on the Aspen? Another soft key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 7/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, Niko182 said:

Nik

The 3100 does not need a turn coordinator, it gets roll information from either an internal AHRS or through a PFD (like Aspen or Garmin).

It can be flown in roll mode (not NAV or HDG) but if the autopilot is on, the servos are on.

Yes, the 3100 works with Garmin PFDs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marauder said:

Tom - how do you think the 3100’s IAS climbs will work on the Aspen? Another soft key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have no specific knowledge but I would suspect from a programming point they will add a bug to the airpseed tape  and control with the left knob.

2 hours ago, Simpson Bennett said:

The latest update I have is that we are about 7 POs short of the goal.

Simpson- “If you build it they will come”!  Even Garmin has figured this out as they have a Mooney from  this list ready to start their Garmin 500 autopilot STC mid July. 

Edited by Cris
  • Like 1

Simpson- “If you build it they will come”!  Even Garmin has figured this out as they have a Mooney from  this list ready to start their Garmin 500 autopilot STC mid July. 

Have you tallied up the number on this thread who expressed an interest in submitting the non-binding PO? Sure sounded like more than 8 people expressed an interest.

• Like 1

And I do agree that “build it and they will come” that Garmin is doing will attract business. If the STEC 3100 doesn’t materialize for us, I have no issue looking to yank my STEC 60-2 and install a GFC 500 with a G5 to control it.

Is there resistance to the ‘non-binding PO’?

I suspect that there may be...

A Purchase Order is quite a formal document in commercial machinery sales... and may be one step removed from the buyer and seller of the machine... it may be in the hands of a purchasing, finance, or numbers guy that may not be comfortable enough with either what is being bought and sold or discussed  here...

It is an agreement that takes work from both sides to develop.  Buyer and seller.

The last step is a signed formal PO that includes all the terms and conditions and description of exactly what is being bought... and how it gets delivered... FOB or installed...?  Not valid without a proper signature at the end...

It may reference a specific quote, that the seller has worked pretty hard on to match the potential buyer’s needs...

If the resistance of getting a non-binding PO together is the challenge...

Can a substitute be found?

Like a quotation for specific planes, down to the specific make, model, and serial number...

The quotation gets a serialized number (similar to a PO). The PO, later references the quotation by that number...

Following this route, a lot of work can be accomplished by the people that have a hand in its success...

The buyer knows exactly what he needs to purchase to install a successful AP system for his exact plane. Details including model numbers of the full set of parts and their prices (or expected prices?) The seller knows all he needs to know about the buyer’s equipment to supply the right bits, pieces, and software solution....

Often a roadblock to the process comes from the person that holds the keys to the PO system.  They may not make themselves available until they know they want to buy something... that may not occur until the budget to buy something gets approved... could be in the next fiscal year...?

What gets removed, is the probable road block in the system... the independent hardware installer that only fears that he may potentially get stuck with something that won’t be paid for... or some other hazard to his reputation for something that is outside his control...

How do you get an independent installer, Mom&pop shop, or fortunate 500 company, to write a pre-PO document that is acceptable to Genesys’ need?

What is the value to Genesys of Having a pre-PO document from the potential installer?

Another challenge may be the Mooney owner who may have this hardware in mind... but not sure he wants to commit to the installer yet, or bring it to his attention, for whatever reason...

PP thoughts only, I have bought and sold a few machines and their parts using POs... getting a purchasing guy along for the ride may be a tough challenge until he is ready (by his own technical, unknown to the outside, guidelines)

I would like to see a whole bunch of these things installed in Mooneys over the next few year...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/8/2018 at 11:07 AM, Jeff_S said:

I spoke with Barry LeBlanc this morning at length to understand the situation regarding the G1000 implementation.  They are still working with Garmin to understand data transfer specifics, which apparently are different in the G1000 than in the other components. Barry felt that they would have a solid answer within 2 weeks.  He also wanted to reiterate that their Pre-STC offer (as noted extensively in this thread) is risk-free and non-binding, with no deposit required. In his exact words:

"Importantly, the POs are non-binding (until the STC is issued and we start building the system) so if your circumstances change, you are not on the obligated."

Because of this, I have given my shop the go-ahead to issue a PO so they can get the committed number they need to move forward.  I would urge anyone who's on the fence to do the same since there is no deposit required and the ability to pull out of the deal.

Rolling the dice...let's see if we can add these important safety advances to our planes! Barry told me how much nicer the 3100 tracks the localizer and glide path compared to the 55x...the 55x snakes the localizer like a newbie IFR pilot!

On 6/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, k8n said:

I also asked my avionics shop to start the PO process.

Just now, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

We still need 7 more owners to place a PO to secure an STC slot. If you have talked to your avionics shop about this, please confirm they have sent a PO to us. We use these POs to “prove” to our development/STC team that there is sufficient interest in the product to warrant a priority STC project.

The most significant benefit to submitting a purchase order ahead of the STC is we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). Also, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are or when they were installed.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered. Importantly, the POs are non-binding (until the STC is issued and we start building the system) so if your circumstances change, you are not obligated.

Don’t forget, the 3100 brings many new safety enhancing features to the Mooney platform.

Please call me or email with any questions.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:46 AM, Deb said:

Here’s a link to the S-Tec 3100 Pilot’s Guide: http://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/3100 POH 87325.PDF.

3100%20POH%2087325.PDF

Hi,

I can send you a PDF of the 3100 manual. Please email me at: barry.leblanc@genesys-aerosystems.com Please call me if you have any questions. 940-327-0707

Hey Barry,

There was a technical challenge with the modern web site link...

Solved that one here...

http://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/3100 POH 87325.PDF

Haven’t solved the part about not being able to get a Pre-PO generated for some potential users... (discussed above)

Some MSers May be looking for insight for what else may work for Genesys if they can’t get a shop to generate a non-commercial PO.  Is there something a pilot/Mooney owner can do in this case?

Thanks and Best regards,

-a-

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, Bob_Belville said:

I had Twin Lakes Avionics place a PO for my M20E a few days ago.

Hi,

We have received a purchase order from Twin Lakes, Thank you for being an early adapter. If you have any questions please call me at 940.327.0707

Thank You,

Barry LeBlanc