STEC 3100 Digital Autopilot

On 6/8/2018 at 6:27 PM, MICKEY said:

So I have a 67 M20F with an STEC 60-2.  I have not decided on an EFIS yet (Dual G5's, Aspen, B/K AeroVue Touch).  Anybody have any insight to upgrading the STEC 60-2 to a 3100 in my situation.  Thanks for your input in advance. 

Hi,

There is an upgrade path for the 60-2 to a 3100 AP. Do you have trim installed? Please call me and I can walk you through the system upgrade. 940.327.0707

On 6/3/2018 at 5:33 PM, Mooney in Oz said:

Well explained Cris. I’ve added my commitment from downunder, so this should reduce the Mooney owners to 5. I’ve been told the price is 9k.

Hi,

I haven't seen your purchase order yet. Could your shop and have them send me a PO for your Mooney? Which shop. I have been to your Lucky country many times. There is a good chance the S-TEC dealer knows me.

3 minutes ago, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi Bob,

The best way to get a firm quote is to visit a S-TEC Dealer. But the system 55 is almost the same as the 55X and if you have trim installed your equipment List cost are starting at $9995.00USD.If you have any questions please call me direct, 940.327.0707

Thanks Barry, I have a STEC 50, not 55, but I think the $10k equipment plus install is close enough for my purposes. I hope to be at my favorite avionics shop, Twin Lakes Avionics, Advance NC, soon and I'll discuss it with Robbie Greer. I hope he is an approved STEC dealer. If you're still a PO or 2 short at the point I'll have him put us in the queue. 

@Barry LeBlancSpoke with you this morning. I have a call into two avionics shops for cost to install. So I guess I'm in the queue?  Call and let me know if there is anything I need to do.

@MarauderThanks for the chat yesterday. I also talked to Aspen today.  Informed me that the E5 is a different Processor and screen than the original PFD 1000.  The new screen and processor are certified without back up vacuum system or AI.  Also told me upgrading the E5 to a pro will allow me to keep the Certified STC without need to add another certified AI or vacuum system.  Right now I am leaning towards an Aspen E5 with upgrade to Pro with a G5 back up AI. Then upgrade the STEC 60-2 to a STEC 3100. 

Took a while but these two upgrades would MAKE my airplane. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 12:22 AM, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

I haven't seen your purchase order yet. Could your shop and have them send me a PO for your Mooney? Which shop. I have been to your Lucky country many times. There is a good chance the S-TEC dealer knows me.

James McDonald at Flight Avionics, Melbourne, Victoria. I need to give him a call on Friday, so I’ll remind him. Last I time I spoke to James, only last week he said he has other 3100 PO’s  as well. He also mentioned one of your female counterparts (can’t recall her name) visited his facility a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently the finish line is in sight but we still need the Avionics shops to submit a P.O. on your behalf. It doesn’t count if you tell your shop you want the 3100 but they do not submit the P.O. in checking with Barry he said 4 folks who committed pulled their P.O. due to circumstances. ie Sold A/C or have A/C on market etc so we need more to step up to get this scheduled. Check with your shop and confirm the P.O. has been submitted. 

Apparently the finish line is in sight but we still need the Avionics shops to submit a P.O. on your behalf. It doesn’t count if you tell your shop you want the 3100 but they do not submit the P.O. in checking with Barry he said 4 folks who committed pulled their P.O. due to circumstances. ie Sold A/C or have A/C on market etc so we need more to step up to get this scheduled. Check with your shop and confirm the P.O. has been submitted. 

Mine has not been. Shop is so busy with ADS-B he is not quoting anything else. Working with another shop to see if I can get the quote in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:35 AM, Marauder said:

Mine has not been. Shop is so busy with ADS-B he is not quoting anything else. Working with another shop to see if I can get the quote in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi, Where are you located? I have a list of people that are willing to install!

On 6/12/2018 at 8:01 PM, MICKEY said:

@Barry LeBlancSpoke with you this morning. I have a call into two avionics shops for cost to install. So I guess I'm in the queue?  Call and let me know if there is anything I need to do.

@MarauderThanks for the chat yesterday. I also talked to Aspen today.  Informed me that the E5 is a different Processor and screen than the original PFD 1000.  The new screen and processor are certified without back up vacuum system or AI.  Also told me upgrading the E5 to a pro will allow me to keep the Certified STC without need to add another certified AI or vacuum system.  Right now I am leaning towards an Aspen E5 with upgrade to Pro with a G5 back up AI. Then upgrade the STEC 60-2 to a STEC 3100. 

Took a while but these two upgrades would MAKE my airplane. 

Hi,

Have you placed an order for the 3100?  We need a number of them to start the STC process. 

On 6/15/2018 at 6:52 AM, Cris said:

Hi,

Please submit a purchase order. 

The most significant benefit to submitting a purchase order (early) is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). Also, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offeredImportantly, the POs are non-binding (until the STC is issued and we start building the system) so if your circumstances change, you are not on the obligated.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

There is an upgrade path for the 60-2 to a 3100 AP. Do you have trim installed? Please call me and I can walk you through the system upgrade. 940.327.0707

The most significant benefit to submitting a purchase order (early) is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). Also, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offeredImportantly, the POs are non-binding (until the STC is issued and we start building the system) so if your circumstances change, you are not on the obligated.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:54 PM, LANCECASPER said:

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=148639

If I had an Ovation DX or GX or Bravo GX or Eagle with an STEC autopilot I would be all over this. You go from a rate based to an attitude based and add a lot of other features for the money.

Hi,

Yes, we are trying to get a total of 15 committed owners to submit a purchase order. Here are two benefits

On 6/13/2018 at 10:35 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

James McDonald at Flight Avionics, Melbourne, Victoria. I need to give him a call on Friday, so I’ll remind him. Last I time I spoke to James, only last week he said he has other 3100 PO’s  as well. He also mentioned one of your female counterparts (can’t recall her name) visited his facility a couple of weeks ago.

Hi,

That was my Boss, Jamie Luster visited his shop. Please call him and ask him to submit that PO today...Thank you Barry

On 1/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, KSMooniac said:

Too bad they're not upgrading to brushless servos.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Hi,

The 3100 uses a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to drive the servo motors rather than a ramped voltage signal used with previous S-TEC autopilot systems.  This allows the servo always receive maximum voltage and avoids high startup voltage problems.  The speed is controlled more accurately by the frequency of the PWM signal.  With over 140,000 servos in the field, this allows customers to upgrade existing S-TEC autopilot systems without swapping out expensive servo motors. 

On 2/10/2018 at 2:59 PM, Robert C. said:

hmm..thread has been removed. Not sure what was in it as I'm just back from travel and catching up.

However, my impression from other discussions was that the 3100 won't work with the G1000 without Mooney doing a SB just like for the WAAS upgrade.

Robert

No S-TEC is not dependent on Mooney for certification. When we get the 3100 STC, we can add the G1000 interface without certification from Mooney. We just need to complete the analysis to find out what the G1000 interface will look like and what functionality is available. We have asked Mooney to help us on this integration. 

17 minutes ago, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

The 3100 uses a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to drive the servo motors rather than a ramped voltage signal used with previous S-TEC autopilot systems.  This allows the servo always receive maximum voltage and avoids high startup voltage problems.  The speed is controlled more accurately by the frequency of the PWM signal.  With over 140,000 servos in the field, this allows customers to upgrade existing S-TEC autopilot systems without swapping out expensive servo motors. 

Barry, I just asked Gwen @ Twin Lakes Avionics, Advance NC, to place a PO on my behalf. (She was well acquainted with the process and reported that they had entered other POs. Not sure if any of those others were Mooneys.)

That was 5 minutes ago so I don't know if you'll see it this afternoon.

Robert Belville, N943RW

3 hours ago, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

Thank you for placing a PO, With whom did you send your PO through? 

Mine is with Aerial Avionics at RHV in San Jose.  I have a call into them to verify they have sent you a PO but since I haven't heard back and haven't had a chance to follow up I'm guessing they haven't sent it to you yet.  I'll try to follow up with them tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi, Where are you located? I have a list of people that are willing to install!

I have requested quotes from Smart Avionics in Donegal Springs (N71) and recently with SureFlight at KMQS. I have not seen anything from either shop. I am in southeast PA, home of the world champion Philadelphia Eagles. :)

• Thanks 1

If you are at all interested in the 3100 we now need to push this over the finish line in order to make this happen this year. There is a disconnect between our interest and the PO’s submitted by the shops. Barry indicated he would be willing to help out by checking personally with your shop. To do so email Barry with your name, A/C and shop. This is important in that Geneysis just sent out an email announcing the airframes that they will certify next. Mooney’s are not on the list and won’t be if we don’t get the 15 PO’s submitted within the next couple of weeks. Barry can’t even speak to his engineering group without the PO’s in hand. Really this is non binding and you will be helping out a fellow Mooney owner.  Let’s consider this a hurry up offense! 

5 minutes ago, Cris said:

If you are at all interested in the 3100 we now need to push this over the finish line in order to make this happen this year. There is a disconnect between our interest and the PO’s submitted by the shops. Barry indicated he would be willing to help out by checking personally with your shop. To do so email Barry with your name, A/C and shop. This is important in that Geneysis just sent out an email announcing the airframes that they will certify next. Mooney’s are not on the list and won’t be if we don’t get the 15 PO’s submitted within the next couple of weeks. Barry can’t even speak to his engineering group without the PO’s in hand. Really this is non binding and you will be helping out a fellow Mooney owner.  Let’s consider this a hurry up offense! 

I had Twin Lakes Avionics place a PO for my M20E a few days ago.

• Like 1