STEC 3100 Digital Autopilot

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=148639

If I had an Ovation DX or GX or Bravo GX with an STEC autopilot I would be all over this. You go from a rate based to an attitude based and add a lot of other features for the money.

You really shouldn't have posted this. There was a Garmin G600 owner who said he had a hard failure. Peter Garmin will be crushed.

It looks like an upgrade path for any of us with STEC systems. I was discouraged by the upgrade cost "starting at $9995". For that price, the GFC 500 looks like a better deal with new servos for roughly half the upgrade price. This should make Peter Garmin happy again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hmm..thread has been removed. Not sure what was in it as I'm just back from travel and catching up.

However, my impression from other discussions was that the 3100 won't work with the G1000 without Mooney doing a SB just like for the WAAS upgrade.

Robert

8 hours ago, Deb said:

From Barry LeBlanc at S-Tec:

[For the 3100 STC for Mooney models] “We can cover the M20B, C, D, E, F, G, J, K, L, M, R, S and TN on a single STC.”

That's better news...means we don't have to get 15 in just the long body.  I would still like to know more about their G1000 integration, as Deb and I have discussed in private emails. But this seems like the most promising path to a digital autopilot for those of us with S-TEC already installed, especially tied to the G1000.

Jeff it looks like about half the cost of the GFC700, the warranty upgrade on the servos is hard to believe. The more I think about this the better it sounds, now how long before the STC is ready for is. Us poor black sheep, now have ADSB, digital autopilot and WAAS, not to rough since we had no upgrade path to anything, now we need flight stream

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deb said:

From Barry LeBlanc at S-Tec:

[For the 3100 STC for Mooney models] “We can cover the M20B, C, D, E, F, G, J, K, L, M, R, S and TN on a single STC.”

That’s really good news for stec and all the other AP manufacturers. Should speed along the process unless stec has a different situation because of the previous approved units for Mooney aircraft. 

Hi all! You might remember me from my days at Avidyne (I started the interest thread awhile back about the DFC90 interest). I am now with Genesys Aerosystems and have some exciting news...

Genesys Aerosystems is looking for 15 Mooney owners to either upgrade or install a new S-TEC 3100 installation. The models that we are looking for are the M20B, C, D, E, F, G, J, K, L, M, R, S and TN. These models can be accomplished on a single STC. We would need a commitment from 15 owners to proceed with the STC. The commitments would be in the form of a purchase order to a Genesys Authorized Installation Center.

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 is a digital attitude-based autopilot that gives you a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities. Compatible with advanced digital sources & EFIS displays from Garmin, Aspen and others, the S-TEC 3100 delivers unmatched features and benefits: 

• Precise, digital flight control for every phase of flight
  • 2-axis (3-axis option on some models)
  • Automatic Trim included
  • Envelope Protection/Alerting
  • Straight and Level Recovery
  • Precision Approaches/Missed Approaches
  • Indicated Airspeed Hold
  • Altitude Preselect
  • And much more!

For the Mooney owners who currently have an S-TEC autopilot installed, the upgrade price will depend on the equipment already installed. This will be an outstanding bargain to get the benefits of a fully integrated digital autopilot, especially considering the additional safety features which it will bring. Upgrades start at $9,995 retail.

For the Mooney owners who currently do not have an S-TEC autopilot installed. The 2-axis S-TEC 3100 is $19,995 retail for a new digital flight control system, which includes altitude hold, auto trim and altitude preselect, as well as new features such as envelope protection and straight and level mode. The 3-axis version adds Yaw Damper and is $24,995 retail.

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC autopilot STC process is determined by which model owners express interest. This past 6 months we have received requests from a number of Mooney owners’ inquiring about an upgrade path or for a new 3100 Autopilot system installation.   The biggest benefit to submitting a purchase order early is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). In addition, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered. 

If you have questions or would like to find your nearest Genesys-Aerosystems dealer, you can reach out to me or contact our Regional Sales Manager, Barry, in of the Mooney STC program at:

Barry LeBlanc

Mobile: 940.327.0707

Barry.LeBlanc@genesys-aerosystems.com

www.genesys-aerosystems.com

Edited by Simpson Bennett

On 2/13/2018 at 6:23 AM, Jeff_S said:

That's better news...means we don't have to get 15 in just the long body.  I would still like to know more about their G1000 integration, as Deb and I have discussed in private emails. But this seems like the most promising path to a digital autopilot for those of us with S-TEC already installed, especially tied to the G1000.

We're looking into the G1000 to S-TEC3100 integration at the moment and will post here once I have a definitive answer.

7 minutes ago, Simpson Bennett said:
9 minutes ago, Simpson Bennett said:

These models can be accomplished on a single STC. We would need a commitment from 15 same model owners to proceed with the STC.

Simpson, let me understand this...You just need ONE PO of 15 of the Same Model Mooney to get the STC for ALL Mooney Models you listed, Correct?

Thanks, that should help Genesis get this done. I imagine you will have a captive audience in the MGX's and RGX's that were Stec equipped if you can get Garmin G1000 coupled up. It would be interesting to hear who wants how much to get this done. Now I also know which booth to go looking for you at SNF. When you get the STC, consider donating a 3100 system to the Mooney Summit Silent Auction!

55 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

What is the ballpark upgrade cost to get to a 3100 starting with a 30 w/GPSS and no trim option? I presume the GPSS module would no longer be needed, right?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

$11,995. (dual axis upgrade – trim not already installed) – you will need to return your System 30 programmer/computer for this price.

The GPSS converter is no longer required.  However, if you have an old DG or HSI (i.e. non-EFIS or KCS55A) then the converter box supplied with the ST-901 GPSS conversion kit will be repurposed as a heading/course converter.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, KSMooniac said:

Too bad they're not upgrading to brushless servos.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

The 3100 uses a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to drive the servo motors rather than a ramped voltage signal used with previous S-TEC autopilot systems.  This allows the servo always receive maximum voltage and avoids any high startup voltage problems.  The speed is controlled more accurately by the frequency of the PWM signal.  With over 140,000 servos in the field, this allows customers to upgrade existing S-TEC autopilot systems without swapping out expensive servo motors.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:27 PM, Marauder said:

It looks like an upgrade path for any of us with STEC systems. I was discouraged by the upgrade cost "starting at $9995". For that price, the GFC 500 looks like a better deal with new servos for roughly half the upgrade price. This should make Peter Garmin happy again.

The GFC500 requires a G5 ADI, installation kit and pitch trim. This could add another $5,000 or so. 

A GFC500 with pitch trim, install pack and G5 is $11,344.  Plus the installation will be higher as they need to replace any existing S-TEC components.

The GFC500 requires a G5 ADI, installation kit and pitch trim. This could add another $5,000 or so. 
A GFC500 with pitch trim, install pack and G5 is $11,344.  Plus the installation will be higher as they need to replace any existing S-TEC components.

I think most of us will wait until we see where these installed prices settle in. I don’t have a burning need for an autopilot upgrade but if the price was right, moving to a digital autopilot makes sense.

Upset recovery is a nice feature, what I would like in an upgrade is IAS climb and altitude preselect for my 60-2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Simpson Bennett said:

We're looking into the G1000 to S-TEC3100 integration at the moment and will post here once I have a definitive answer.

Thanks Simpson.  While I like the sound of the offer to induce 15 folks into the pre-STC purchase program, I would be concerned about putting my hat into that ring without a better understanding of just how well this A/P will integrate with the G1000 and what that means for long-term compatibility.  For example, if by some miracle Garmin/Mooney offer an affordable upgrade path to the NXi, would the 3100 still be compatible?  That may be an unanswerable question at the moment but it is on our minds. Also, there is always the question mark of taking out a system that is working quite well and replacing it with something new and relatively untested.  I've been in the tech industry for a very long time, and I know that sometimes these upgrades have teething pains. Those of us who use our A/Ps to fly through real weather need to be able to rely on them.

All that said, I am still very interested and look forward to getting some more information from Genesys on this option for us. I do still see it as the most likely path for those of us on legacy G1000/STEC systems to get to a digital A/P.  Thanks!

On 2/16/2018 at 7:48 AM, Jeff_S said:

Thanks Simpson.  While I like the sound of the offer to induce 15 folks into the pre-STC purchase program, I would be concerned about putting my hat into that ring without a better understanding of just how well this A/P will integrate with the G1000 and what that means for long-term compatibility.  For example, if by some miracle Garmin/Mooney offer an affordable upgrade path to the NXi, would the 3100 still be compatible?  That may be an unanswerable question at the moment but it is on our minds. Also, there is always the question mark of taking out a system that is working quite well and replacing it with something new and relatively untested.  I've been in the tech industry for a very long time, and I know that sometimes these upgrades have teething pains. Those of us who use our A/Ps to fly through real weather need to be able to rely on them.

All that said, I am still very interested and look forward to getting some more information from Genesys on this option for us. I do still see it as the most likely path for those of us on legacy G1000/STEC systems to get to a digital A/P.  Thanks!

Those are all valid concerns. You're not the only one asking about the G1000 integration and I hope to have that answer relatively soon. Looking at the NXi, I'd expect no real changes to the interface but I could be wrong.

The 3100 is based on a Part 25 version of the autopilot, so its foundation is deeply rooted in those higher requirements. Couple that with the fact that we've (STEC) has been around for 30 years, I think the teething pain will be little to non-existent.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:54 PM, Marauder said:

I think most of us will wait until we see where these installed prices settle in. I don’t have a burning need for an autopilot upgrade but if the price was right, moving to a digital autopilot makes sense.

Upset recovery is a nice feature, what I would like in an upgrade is IAS climb and altitude preselect for my 60-2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For anyone interested, we have the Pilot Guide available. If you contact Barry LeBlanc, 940-327-0707 or Barry.LeBlanc@genesys-aerosystems.com he can get you a copy.

• Like 1