Cabin heat valve location

In my 70 C, the heat knob is next to the fresh air knob. Heat comes out under the center pedestal, aimed at knees on both sides; closing them by hand underneath directs the hot air toward the windshield. The actual heat source is a sliding box on the exhaust in front of the firewall--you should be able to follow the cable and trace it through the firewall, and trace the hoses to see where they route from there.

There are some changes that occurred over the years...

Clarences drawing is pretty helpful to find the airbox on the firewall, the outside air and the hose coming from the heat muff.

My 65C had two slide gates for outside air control and hot air control from the muff.

The slide gates older than 1965 were made out of rust and didn't like to slide...

So... If your push/pull control in the cockpit doesn't give an easy motion, all the way in and all the way out.   Chase that cable all the way to  the slide gates on the airbox... expect taking the top cowl off is going to reveal the working mechanisms.  It will be helpful to hire your favorite mechanic, if unfamiliar...

Lubricate wildly...  properly....  :)

It was an easy PP thing to take care of...

My descriptions can be very inaccurate... it has been a really long time since I worked on my old C...

Newer Planes got fancy rotating valves with rubber discs for seals...

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, LucasC said:

I found it. Was right in my face all along. Lol. The slide gate is rusted so im sprayed some corrosion x in there and gonna let it soak for a while. I got it to break free but it only shuts 3/4. Was half way out and stuck so making progress. 

Oddly enough I removed mine today because the fresh air valve wouldn't open all the way. Cleaned the plates and lubed both cables at both ends. Moving great now. Air box only had 56 years of crud inside. 

2 hours ago, lamont337 said:

Oddly enough I removed mine today because the fresh air valve wouldn't open all the way. Cleaned the plates and lubed both cables at both ends. Moving great now. Air box only had 56 years of crud inside. 

Surprised they lasted this long. Such an easy item to maintain if you take the few minutes to do it.

Ok so I figured out what the problem is. There was a washer stuck between the slide gate and firewall. Pulled it out and works great. Jeeze. Thanks for all the help. I came over from a Beechcraft musketeer and belonged to a great site with guys like you and it’s great to have the resource. Thanks