My good friend OWES me...

3 hours ago, TonyK said:

I have a 66 172G with the O-300D in it.   It is a fun airplane to go tour around locally but frustratingly slow when you are actually trying to get somewhere.  However with the 40deg of flaps it gives you the opportunity to get out and do a walk around while you are on short final. :D

Those older ones are the best 172s.    The O-300 is so comfortably smooth compared to the four cylinder engines.   The first time I flew a four-cyl 172 I thought something was wrong with it because I was used to the O-300.   And I'm always looking for that last ten degrees of barn-door flaps in the ones that are limited to 30.   No matter how much I push the lever down they just won't go any further.  :( 

• Like 1

Just now, EricJ said:

Those older ones are the best 172s.    The O-300 is so comfortably smooth compared to the four cylinder engines.   The first time I flew a four-cyl 172 I thought something was wrong with it because I was used to the O-300.   And I'm always looking for that last ten degrees of barn-door flaps in the ones that are limited to 30.   No matter how much I push the lever down they just won't go any further.  :( 

My flight school had two 172s, one with 160 hp and 30º, one with 150 hp and 40º. I rarely went beyond 20º, and hardly ever land my Mooney with Full Flaps [except those rare occasions that the wind is absolutely dead calm].

• Like 1

Just now, Hank said:

My flight school had two 172s, one with 160 hp and 30º, one with 150 hp and 40º. I rarely went beyond 20º, and hardly ever land my Mooney with Full Flaps [except those rare occasions that the wind is absolutely dead calm].

You should try the 40-deg flaps.   It's like a parachute.  ;)

Some Bird Dogs (Cessna O-1) have 60 degrees of flaps.    I've always wanted to fly one of those just to play around with that.