My good friend OWES me...

Got a friend who needed to get his plane back from another airport and he couldn't get an instructor to fly with him.  So I offered as he said and I quote "its a Cessna".  I'll help a Cessna 172 is fun to fly.  Wrong it was a Cessna 150 Tricycle gear.  No friend puts another friend in a 150 if they know he flies a MOONEY.....   I had mosquitos passing me down wind.  If ever you need a humbling experience and need a slower pace of life fly a 150 in a ND breeze.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Joe,
Ever feel like a higher power was testing your patience, by handing you a humbling experience?
You passed! 
Best regards,
-a-
I get crazy I hate having to fix and try again or work harder, but when it's all over I look back and laugh. This plane purchase has been a nightmare and many things have gone wrong and I've learned a lot. It's not pretty and not the best, but it is fast and safe and traveling in it is fun. So in the end I win I get to say I own and fly my own Mooney and I am a pilot. That is more than most can ever say.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Got a friend who needed to get his plane back from another airport and he couldn't get an instructor to fly with him.  So I offered as he said and I quote "its a Cessna".  I'll help a Cessna 172 is fun to fly.  Wrong it was a Cessna 150 Tricycle gear.  No friend puts another friend in a 150 if they know he flies a MOONEY.....   I had mosquitos passing me down wind.  If ever you need a humbling experience and need a slower pace of life fly a 150 in a ND breeze.  :D

I got my Private in Grand Forks ND. My first few lessons were in a 152 and one day it wasn't available so we flew the 172. I never rented the 152 again. The 172 felt luxurious in comparison and landed so much better in the ND winds.

25 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I got my Private in Grand Forks ND. My first few lessons were in a 152 and one day it wasn't available so we flew the 172. I never rented the 152 again. The 172 felt luxurious in comparison and landed so much better in the ND winds.

It's interesting how people react to things differently.   I did pretty much all of my early flying experience (probably the first couple hundred hours) almost exclusively in C150s and C172s.   To me the 150 was a lot more fun for learning flying, like spins, hammerhead turns, chandelles, etc.   It's a nice handling, predictable, fairly nimble little airplane, which I think is why they bothered to make an aerobat model.   But it is seriously damned slow.   If you just wanted to build time, cross countries in the 150 were a cheap, but boring, way to do it.   Took forever to get anywhere.

In comparison, to me, the C172s redeeming qualities were a little (not a lot) more speed, a back seat, and a little (not a lot) better climb performance.   Other than that, it handled worse, the elevator seems unnecessarily annoyingly heavy, and it just seemed a lot less fun than the 150.   More practical for sure, but less fun.

But since these days I can make myself queasy just doing dutch rolls in the Mooney, I doubt I'd really get the benefit of flying a 150 again, but I'd be keen to try.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I actually liked the 152 better than the 172 during training, it just seemed like when you did something, the plane immediately followed.  In the 172, with the extra weight, when you did something, the plane seemed like it would wait a while and then say "oh, ok, FINE, I'll raise my nose."

Of course, I never went above 3000' in the 152.  That might have changed my mind :D

Edited by jaylw314

I guess I'll chime in.  After flying with other friends the past few months while we are getting avionics work done I wanted to be PIC for an hour.  N52344 a rental 172 was on the ramp ready to go. Having not flown a 172 for a few years I was a bit nervous but once she fired up it became old shoe.   Taxied out and to my surprise it was amazing how easy these planes are to fly.  After two touch and goes I did some close in slips to final, short field landings, short field takeoffs, and the like.  You can put in full flaps and pretty much aim straight down on final and just work it all out in the flare.  Going from the helm of a Mooney to a 172 to me was very very easy but did fulfill my need to fly and flying is way more fun than waiting around.   

all of you need to try a J-3. slowest plane ive ever flown, and by far the most fun. i was lucky if i got to 80mph. something nice also about crossing the threshold  at 40mph and having a ground roll under 250ft.

• Like 1

I have a 66 172G with the O-300D in it.   It is a fun airplane to go tour around locally but frustratingly slow when you are actually trying to get somewhere.  However with the 40deg of flaps it gives you the opportunity to get out and do a walk around while you are on short final. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I have a 66 172G with the O-300D in it.   It is a fun airplane to go tour around locally but frustratingly slow when you are actually trying to get somewhere.  However with the 40deg of flaps it gives you the opportunity to get out and do a walk around while you are on short final. :D

I fly a 172G as well, 200+ hrs in it. Getting some much needed TLC now, can't wait to get it back in the air

• Like 1