A Tale of Two Aspens

N6758N

I'll be the first to admit I don't too much faith in this site. While there are some great posts and useful info- most of the content on here is useless IMO. BUT- this post is more about the quality of some of the folks around here more than it is the topics. 

A recent trip back home in the Mooney left my NSD-1000 HSI compass card dead. After pulling it out, I recognized the gyro wasn't spinning when power was applied.  A quick call to Bob Bramble made me realize that no way was I going to spend $2 AMU on ancient technology. I had some components for the Aspen system in my toolbox from my time as an Avionics tech- so I thought I would pursue finding the rest of the 'archaic' PFD 1000, and so my story begins.Perusing eBay and other sites, it was apparent a PRO aspen system wasn't going to be had for cheap. I thought about doing dual G5s, I looked everywhere and considered all the possibilities- but I always came back to the Aspen. A search on craigslist turned up a system in London of all places! I was skeptical at first because I've dealt with the scams on CL before, so I approached with caution. After emailing back and forth with the seller multiple times- he seemed like a real person. Of course the seller was asking for a bank transfer and he stated he could not accept Paypal. Here is where I need to bring Andrew @Hyett6420 into the story. A message to him telling him of my woes got an instant response offering to help in any way he could. He called the seller for me and spoke with him at length about the Aspen and where the seller was at- he then called me and was discussed this; and based on his feelings we felt that we were  most likely flushing out a rat. Long story short, after contacting the seller and informing him that I would be paying Andrew and then he would arrange for pickup and shipping of the unit, I never heard back- confirming my suspicions that this unit was either stolen/or wasn't even in the seller's possession. 

I have since found a new Aspen here in the states that I have purchased and am currently working on installing as we speak. The point of my long winded and boring post is a big thanks to Andrew. Without his help, there was no way I could have determined the validity of this sale without him. He offered a complete stranger he had never met (me) his complete and unwavering help. We have been in contact multiple times and we're hoping to take this shady character down. I have a renewed faith in the MS community and am really looking forward to buying Andrew dinner and drinks next times he's in the states- thanks again Andrew! Now, lets all go back to talking about LOP, flaps on takeoff, and corroded camshafts! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

OMG! You're installing an Aspen. :D

I know you have a natural disdain for the information that some (ok, almost everyone) have presented on this site. What frustrates me is the stream of misinformation and personal opinion on products from people who don't own them. I've learned over the years, that internet information is almost always skewed and is often a disservice to those who read it. Do us all a favor and report the truth as you do this install. At least one reader will benefit from it.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, N6758N said:

.... The point of my long winded and boring post is a big thanks to Andrew. Without his help, there was no way I could have determined the validity of this sale without him. He offered a complete stranger he had never met (me) his complete and unwavering help. We have been in contact multiple times and we're hoping to take this shady character down. I have a renewed faith in the MS community and am really looking forward to buying Andrew dinner and drinks next times he's in the states- thanks again Andrew! Now, lets all go back to talking about LOP, flaps on takeoff, and corroded camshafts! 

Andrew's assistance does not surprise me. I have been fortunate to spend time with him in the UK as well as in the US, and he is the quintessential "nice guy". He would probably be what many of us in the US think of when we describe an English gentleman.

9 minutes ago, Marauder said:

.... Do us all a favor and report the truth as you do this install. At least one reader will benefit from it.

Me! I will. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing this. I am always hesitant to buy something from CL, or even eBay without being sure that the seller is legit.

On the other hand I do believe that this forum provides a good sounding board for issues and problems we may face. Each time I asked for advice I receive good ideas and ways to address the problems I was facing. So thank you to everybody. Of course there is always the discussion that leads to nowhere, but that is the entertainment aspects of a forum like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Sorry but I can’t mirror your comments about MooneySpace.  Its worth the effort you’re willing to put in.

I spend lots of time digging out info which I post in hopes of helping people who I’ve never met.  I have supplied manuals and part thereof to anyone who needs them.

In return,  I read posts of technical problems in an effort to further my knowledge, because I still have lots to learn.

Clarence

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site.  I have received direct support from @M20Docand his wife.  I am a little afraid to post any pictures of my plane, you never know what Clarence's eagle eyes will spot.

I am sure that anyone that has met Andrew, @Hyett6420in person, will not be surprised that he provided help.

There are many others that have provided tips and the occasional part that I have picked up over the past couple of years.

I for one am glad there is this resource free of charge, although I am happily a "supporter."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yep I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Andrew at the summit, your description is right on, nice guy, regarding Chris's statement regarding baseless opinions, I couldn't agree more, many know my plane and what I'm referring to. I do enjoy MS though.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kpaul said:

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site.  I have received direct support from @M20Docand his wife.  I am a little afraid to post any pictures of my plane, you never know what Clarence's eagle eyes will spot.

I am sure that anyone that has met Andrew, @Hyett6420in person, will not be surprised that he provided help.

There are many others that have provided tips and the occasional part that I have picked up over the past couple of years.

I for one am glad there is this resource free of charge, although I am happily a "supporter."

No fear of posting pictures of your plane,  I look at it as a bit of a challenge to see what I can spot.  I’ll try to be gentle!

Clarence

4 hours ago, kpaul said:

I am a little afraid to post any pictures of my plane, you never know what Clarence's eagle eyes will spot.

Clarence does spot things, but at least he's gentle pointing them out . . . . And you're also better off for fixing it.  ;)

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Clarence does spot things, but at least he's gentle pointing them out . . . . And you're also better off for fixing it.  ;)

I wholeheartedly agree, it was said in jest.  He is always professional in his advice.  Actually, if his shop was nearer to my location and on the south side of the border, I would gladly allow Clarence to work on my plane.

• Like 1

Nice OP.... Personally, I've not contributed much to MS but I've enjoyed the camaraderie and advice. There are too many Mooney Spacers to list that have provided helpful guidance as well as entertainment these past two years. To name several that have helped me personally I am eternal grateful...  @kortopates, @Marauder, @Clarence, @M20Doc, @kmyfm20s, @carusoam, @DonMuncy, @gsxrpilot, @Piloto etc... In the next year I hope to achieve my Instrument Rating and A&P certificate. That way, one day I will be as helpful as you gentlemen other than saying that I'm 6'5 and fat... the Mooney fits me very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, jonhop said:

In the next year I hope to achieve my Instrument Rating and A&P certificate. ....

Cool, have you enrolled in Miramar's A&P program? Highly recommend it. You can do it evenings after your day job like I did and its almost free.

The ground school for your IR at Miramar is a great opportunity too.

• Like 1

Just now, kortopates said:

Cool, have you enrolled in Miramar's A&P program? Highly recommend it. You can do it evenings after your day job like I did and its almost free.

The ground school for your IR at Miramar is a great opportunity too.

They are on my short list... Have to finish my Master's first though...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonhop said:

They are on my short list... Have to finish my Master's first though...

That's how I did it. Job on weekdays, grad school at night, PPL on weekends, then let it rest and just flew until finishing grad school and normalizing at the less-busy schedule. Then hit Instruments hard.

I love this forum and find myself on it more than any other site. Channeling my best inner Anthony, there has been:

1. Helpful information
  2. Those who think they know everything
  3. Those who actually do know almost everything 
    (Note that there is much more of #1 provided by those in #3 than those in #2. You can tell the difference because those in #2 often tell you they belong in #3 while those in #3 just provide #1)
  4. New friends in people I haven't met (Mrs. Skates calls them my "Internet Friends")
  5. New friends that I first met here and then had the pleasure of meeting in person (I hope to move more from #4 to #5)
  6. Entertainment in the form of constant debates about the same old subjects...
  7. Even one person who felt the need to research where I worked, and what I did for a living for the sole purpose of belittling me in a post (He joined the one other person on my block list)
  8. Above all, it is an overall helpful, welcoming community that has been a part of my journey from PPL through purchasing my Mooney and the many adventures along the way.

I'm not an internet forum analyst, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express 5 years ago...

• Like 10

It’s possible, while going down this list...

I think I have met about half the people here, in this thread, in person... including Terry, the OP. About five years ago...

I had to drive to a lot of fly-ins... over the years...

This year I got to fly (solo) to the mother of all Mooney fly-ins, the Summit.  You can meet a ton of MSers there...

It wouldn't have happened without the help of MS, and MSers...

Thanks to those that let me fly right seat, and those who dared to fly right seat with me... my favorites are the MSers that have stopped by my Home drome for a ride, a cup of coffee, or a bite to eat...

I think it was Jolie who said... Fly it forward...

One of the most interesting MSers I talked to, was a guy organizing the first NJMP fly in... 201er's partner for the event, Patrick... He was so outgoing, he would talk Mooney with anyone...

I do a fare amount of writing, welcoming new people to MS...  helping new Mooniacs get situated into the community.  I don't have much more skill than that...

Bonal and others , often carry the Welcome torch when I’m not on line...

I used to claim that I have read every post.  If you wrote it, I read it...  It was true, up until about last month...  there is so much good writing going on here every day, I’m just unable to keep up...

And i’m Ok with that....  :)

It's fun being me.  It's fun being part of the MS community. It’s fun being an MSer....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I love this forum and find myself on it more than any other site. Channeling my best inner Anthony, there has been:

1. Helpful information
  2. Those who think they know everything
  3. Those who actually do know almost everything 
    (Note that there is much more of #1 provided by those in #3 than those in #2. You can tell the difference because those in #2 often tell you they belong in #3 while those in #3 just provide #1)

Yeah, baby! Go #3!! There are some great resources available here, and many "Internet friends."

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

If any of you are ever on the correct side of the pond, you are more than welcome to "hit me up" as they say.  I will happily show you bits of London you would never otherwise see but are equally fascinating, like the beachs of bones on the River Thames,  the Red Cross monastry, victorian prison, etc    Not on the tourist trail but very interesting, you can get postcards of all the other bits!  

You can count on it. Hoping to make a trip to Scotland where my ancestors are from and while we're on that side of the pond London is a definite stop.