Garmin Pilot Checklists

Marauder

I know a few of you are using Garmin Pilot. Curious if any are having difficulties with the checklist feature. I spent a lot of time setting them up and refining them. A while back, they implemented a patch to correct a problem where the order of the Checklists would get scrambled. That seems to be working fine.

What I am noticing now is the scrambling of the actual checklist items on a checklist. This is very troubling since I use a flow method and the checklist should compliment the flow, not add additional confusion. Here is an example. The top 2 items on the top are done AFTER engine start and the JPI is done after master on. This is so unreliable that I still keep a current paper version even though I have 3 devices with electronic versions.

c1aa9362c115af6da68e6a9dc59e5998.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

And your issue with the software checklist is why I continue to use a PDF checklist I create and load into my FF documents.

IMHO, as vendors have escalated the functionality wars between their products, they have increased the complexity in their code which increases the likelihood of bugs. While some of the additional features are every-flight-used pieces of their product, some are tried once in the beginning, and then never again.

While I love the benefits I receive from some of the newer avionics and add-on products, once their manual exceeds the POH of my plane, it gets to be a bit of overload for me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

And your issue with the software checklist is why I continue to use a PDF checklist I create and load into my FF documents.

IMHO, as vendors have escalated the functionality wars between their products, they have increased the complexity in their code which increases the likelihood of bugs. While some of the additional features are every-flight-used pieces of their product, some are tried once in the beginning, and then never again.

While I love the benefits I receive from some of the newer avionics and add-on products, once their manual exceeds the POH of my plane, it gets to be a bit of overload for me.

I think when it is implemented correctly, the electronic version is fine. I have been in planes where the checklists come up on the MFD. Those seem work fine. Makes you wonder how much testing these app providers do before launching changes. Or are we the bug collectors?

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I think when it is implemented correctly, the electronic version is fine. I have been in planes where the checklists come up on the MFD. Those seem work fine. Makes you wonder how much testing these app providers do before launching changes. Or are we the bug collectors?

The checklists on panel mounted hardware likely have the benefit of control over operating system and applications within the box. Just watching the IOS upgrades over the past two months or so would make any developer dizzy. It was almost funny to get messages from FF stating they are testing IOS 11.x.x only to have the same message from them two days later with a different IOS version.

I know we are not the alpha or beta testers, but some of the apps coming out look somewhat "mushy" instead of "hardened" from time to time.

• Like 1

I have the same problem....Garmin Pilot checklists are flaky.  Checklists and checklist items re-order themselves, and it's a pain in the arse.  Also, in my opinion, using checklists in the G1000 is not practical (maybe other MFDs are better?).  There are checklist items on the MFD that would require toggling between screens.  Because of this, I'm still on paper for checklists (and for copying IFR clearances...because using scratchpad sucks).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aggiepilot04 said:

Because of this, I'm still on paper for checklists (and for copying IFR clearances...because using scratchpad sucks).

Two words - Apple Pencil.

No, the rubber-tipped abominations really do not work, but for some reason, the Apple Pencil works like....a pencil or pen. Yes, it costs a pretty penny, but if you already spent the $$ on the iPad, not buying the Apple Pencil would be like having a GPS but not buying the card to hold the charts.

Sorry for those that have seen this before, but here is what it looks like using it in FF to get weather coming back into the home drome.

IMG_0082.PNG

• Like 1

Two words - Apple Pencil.
No, the rubber-tipped abominations really do not work, but for some reason, the Apple Pencil works like....a pencil or pen. Yes, it costs a pretty penny, but if you already spent the $$ on the iPad, not buying the Apple Pencil would be like having a GPS but not buying the card to hold the charts.
Sorry for those that have seen this before, but here is what it looks like using it in FF to get weather coming back into the home drome.

IMG_0082.thumb.PNG.2d6afa651714a2103fd705ed228805e5.PNG

If the Apple Pencil worked with the iPad mini, I’d be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

John,

Is that an actual Apple product from the Apple store?

If you are having success, I’ll be trying it again soon...

Sorry for the side track, folks...

My checklists and writing in the cockpit is still paper...

Back to the blendered checklist channel.   :)

best regards,

-a-

Bummer, no iPad Pro here.... yet.

John,
Is that an actual Apple product from the Apple store?
If you are having success, I’ll be trying it again soon...

Sorry for the side track, folks...
My checklists and writing in the cockpit is still paper...

Back to the blendered checklist channel.   

best regards,
-a-

Bummer, no iPad Pro here.... yet.

The Apple pen is a $99 option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Does somebody know how to change the order on a checklist? For example before starting engine checklist comes after starting engine... i would like to change the order but I can't find the manual.... So any advice, more than welcome... 

Granted, I use an Android so you Apple folks may be different, but here is how I do it.

To reorder checklists, not items in a checklist, but the checklists themselves so the Start Checklist comes before the Landing Checklist.  In the upper right corner there is an icon that looks like a list with a curved arrow pointing from the top line down to the bottom line.  Touch that icon and each checklist will get an icon to the right of it that is 3 horizontal lines like a short list.  Touch and drag that icon to move the checklist to the proper location.

To change the order of an item in a checklist, bring up the checklist you want to rearrange and tap the Edit button.  In the bottom half of the of the screen the checklist items will appear with the same three line icon to the right.  Drag the errant item to the correct location.  Save your changes when done.

Hope that helps.

Bob

• Like 1

I-devices have a similar buttonology that Bob described for his Android device...

1) look for a button that allows editing... (you want to edit the lists) 

2) push the edit button and items on the list get a handle...

3) dragging the handle will move something up or down the list...

4) Use caution with the handles... holding them too long may be a way to delete whatever they are attached to. You will have to agree to delete something.  But that can happen accidently quickly...

5) There may be an undo function, but it is probably really well hidden... 

Funky I device experience... not related to aviation apps...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Granted, I use an Android so you Apple folks may be different, but here is how I do it.

To reorder checklists, not items in a checklist, but the checklists themselves so the Start Checklist comes before the Landing Checklist.  In the upper right corner there is an icon that looks like a list with a curved arrow pointing from the top line down to the bottom line.  Touch that icon and each checklist will get an icon to the right of it that is 3 horizontal lines like a short list.  Touch and drag that icon to move the checklist to the proper location.

To change the order of an item in a checklist, bring up the checklist you want to rearrange and tap the Edit button.  In the bottom half of the of the screen the checklist items will appear with the same three line icon to the right.  Drag the errant item to the correct location.  Save your changes when done.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Bob,

Thank you, it worked. I wonder why Garmin didn't issue an update to the manual...

Oscar