Replacement Capacitor?

We've recently noticed more background radio noise than normal, and need to replace a capacitor that is testing bad.  The capacitor is marked Sangamo 658-8207-083, and other markings are obscured.  It's connected in parallel to a Captor RF Filter that we think is still functional.  Could use some help specifying the proper capacitance range for a replacement.  The capacitor is a 1-3/8"D x 2"L cylinder.

IMG_3969.thumb.jpg.3d48b697fcf1f46dc735353869bc7652.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.6d8ad8221186a58d78bf8e8ddc9ad466.jpg

It looks like the lettering in between your fingers says "....something something..."  uF  (the u is actually a Greek micron).   Whatever the "something something" number is, is the number of microFarads.    You will need additional specs, though, like max Voltage (aka "working Voltage"), and potentially lead current.   Since the wires in the circuit aren't very big I'd guess that the lead current requirement isn't very high and could potentially be neglected.

If you can clean up the lettering on the side to where it is legible you might get what you need.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It looks like the lettering in between your fingers says "....something something..."  uF  (the u is actually a Greek micron).   Whatever the "something something" number is, is the number of microFarads.    You will need additional specs, though, like max Voltage (aka "working Voltage"), and potentially lead current.   Since the wires in the circuit aren't very big I'd guess that the lead current requirement isn't very high and could potentially be neglected.

If you can clean up the lettering on the side to where it is legible you might get what you need.

I understand uF; unfortunately the rating is not readable.  I expect max voltage of 50-60VDC would suffice, but the capacitance is really what I need to source a replacement.

I take it you still have the prestolite alternator installed ?  You might be able to take to some electronic shop and have them read with Capacitance  meter.

I installed a Plane power alternator many years ago prior to the kit they  now sell for converting  generator  to alternator. If I recall  correctly Plane power or Zef tronics regulator  didn't require a Capacitor for the plane power alternator however I  installed  the RFI filter.   

James 67C

• Sad 1

The challenge with testing a worn capacitor’s capacitance is... you will measure a number that you just proved is no longer the right capacitance.

If MSers are unable to provide an answer... expect Lasar to still be a great resource for proper parts...

Got access to a parts catalog?

PP thoughts that come to mind, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

oops I guess Neil said the  cap was testing bad ...   my bad .. never mind ....

Not sure if this helps ....  nor I am sure   what  year your Mooney is  but a little birdie sent me, long ago,  a Money retro fit parts/drawing  list for a Generator to Alternator Prestolite ALYxxx alternator. They show a SANGAMO 500-1041-01  flag noted  a Mallory CGS302V-050R2C as alternate. However this was many years ago.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jamesm said:

I take it you still have the prestolite alternator installed ?  You might be able to take to some electronic shop and have them read with Capacitance  meter.

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The challenge with testing a worn capacitor’s capacitance is... you will measure a number that you just proved is no longer the right capacitance.

Our capacitor has failed. There's no "reading with Capacitance meter" or "measuring a number".  However a 68G parts catalogue, using the same RF Filter that we have, has a 2400 micro farad capacitor, although it's a different part # than our capacitor. Although I plan to give Lasar a call, if that doesn't work I'll match the rating on Mouser's site.

• Like 1

We've recently noticed more background radio noise than normal, and need to replace a capacitor that is testing bad.  The capacitor is marked Sangamo 658-8207-083, and other markings are obscured.  It's connected in parallel to a Captor RF Filter that we think is still functional.  Could use some help specifying the proper capacitance range for a replacement.  The capacitor is a 1-3/8"D x 2"L cylinder.
IMG_3969.thumb.jpg.3d48b697fcf1f46dc735353869bc7652.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.6d8ad8221186a58d78bf8e8ddc9ad466.jpg

Maybe you can tell us the year and model of your Mooney. Maybe someone with the same model has a cap that can be read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Appreciate everyone's assistance.  I've just ordered a lot of Mallory CGS242U050R2C3PL.

This capacitor is a better match than the Mallory that Jamesm mentioned in his post.  It's the same dimensions, rated up to 85C, and is 2400uF & 50V.

I will have an extra one of these should a MS require a replacement.:)