GPS position jumping with GTX345+GTN650 and Foreflight+iPad

Markmp

16 hours ago, PTK said:

Yup...that’s it! @Cruisernailed it! It must be the Garmin conspiracy theory! This guy is too good! Hey @Cruiser ... how did you get to be so good?! Did you come up with it all by yourself or did @Marauder help you?

In dentistry I think it is called "hitting a nerve"

In fishing is it called "taking the bait"

Yep, I am so glad this message got posted, Peter, I hope you can now realize what you sound like to the rest of us when you go off on your Aspen bashing.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:50 PM, Marauder said:

Garmin has had issues with ForeFlight in the past, including Service Advisory 1684 Rev B which dealt with FIS-B not showing up on ForeFlight. This was corrected with STC SB 1758.

Not sure who is at fault with this current issue.

I agree.  Here is a thread on Beechtalk with where @TrekLawler is talking about a software issue/update they are working on.

I had a GTN750 + GTX345 + FS510 all using ForeFlight.  I think the issue lies with the GTX software which appears to be in-progress.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruiser said:

In dentistry I think it is called "hitting a nerve"

In fishing is it called "taking the bait"

Yep, I am so glad this message got posted, Peter, I hope you can now realize what you sound like to the rest of us when you go off on your Aspen bashing.

Two things:

First, unlike you, I defend your right to express your opinion. 

Second, if your opinion mattered to me,  I would be insulted.

17 hours ago, Markmp said:

Good data point. What ipad and ios version? Any idea the software version in your GTX 345?

I use an I Pad Air 2. I’ve updated the IOS each and every time Apple has offered an update but not before receiving the “all clear” from Foreflight. I have not updated the GTX since the original install.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

I agree.  Here is a thread on Beechtalk with where @TrekLawler is talking about a software issue/update they are working on.

I had a GTN750 + GTX345 + FS510 all using ForeFlight.  I think the issue lies with the GTX software which appears to be in-progress.

Impossible! Peter Garmin will tell you that it is impossible for this to exist. :) 

I think they are right to pursue to the GTX. It is a relatively new product and the problem seems to be across GPS platforms (GNS, GTN). 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, JC252MB said:

I use an I Pad Air 2. I’ve updated the IOS each and every time Apple has offered an update but not before receiving the “all clear” from Foreflight. I have not updated the GTX since the original install.

Are you connecting to the GTX 345 directly or do you have a Flightstream 510?

Ok - here's an update. Today I updated my iPad Air OS to version 11.2.5. Also, Foreflight recommended *not* turning the iPad on to connect bluetooth until after the GTN/GTX is fully booted and obtained a position. They said sometimes connecting via Bluetooth before it obtains a GPS fix can cause issues. 

Not sure which of these changes had the impact - but I did not see any issues today during a flight and GPS position seemed to work fine with no lags/jumps that I noticed. FWIW, the SW version of the GTN is 6.41 and GPS Version is 5.2. I don't know the FW version of the GTX though. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, Markmp said:

Ok - here's an update. Today I updated my iPad Air OS to version 11.2.5. Also, Foreflight recommended *not* turning the iPad on to connect bluetooth until after the GTN/GTX is fully booted and obtained a position. They said sometimes connecting via Bluetooth before it obtains a GPS fix can cause issues. 

Not sure which of these changes had the impact - but I did not see any issues today during a flight and GPS position seemed to work fine with no lags/jumps that I noticed. FWIW, the SW version of the GTN is 6.41 and GPS Version is 5.2. I don't know the FW version of the GTX though. 

Thanks for report back,I'm sure that will be very useful to others with same issue

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, Markmp said:

One more update - I saw the bug again today even though I was on iOS 11.2.5, so I no longer think iOS was the issue. I didn't follow my own procedure though, and connected via Bluetooth before a position was achieved by the GTN650. Same as before - GPS position jumping all over. Worse, I was trying to use the GTX345 attitude indicator in some backup instrument practice. The AHRS didn't work at all. Anyway, in the air I killed foreflight, disconnected BT, turned BT off, then on, and then reconnected and re-started foreflight. Issue went away and AHRS was working. Need to file a bug with Garmin. Reminds me of the magic Bluetooth foo I needed when using the DualXPS GPS puck about 6 years ago. Garmin should have just used Wifi like the Stratus - never had a single connection issue with Stratus in 4 years. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I too have this issue.  The one time my AHRS worked correctly is when I stopped for fuel and quickly turned on the airplane to get out of the way of another airplane.  I taxied to an empty part of the ramp, then re booted up the ipad after the GTX345 had been on and the AHRS finally worked correctly with no jumping in foreflight on the map.  I’m going to try this the next time I fly.  Otherwise every other test of the AHRS is way off or useless and the map is “jumpy”

My setup is GTX-345, GNS-430W, iPad mini 2.

I also have an Aera 560 panel mounted that I may replace with an Aera 660 or 795/796 soon.  I like the WX feed better than adsb weather.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

• 2 weeks later...