Thought experiment... what’s the step up model?

bradp

On 1/31/2018 at 6:17 PM, peevee said:

Don't remember. It's pretty slow though...

Looks like my memory was off, 249 wet

http://www.westernairflightacademy.com/fleet/#!/n980ja-diamond-da42-twinstar

You can't practically rent that for trips, it flies multiple times a day for MEL instruction. I am currently finishing my multi in it and I have trouble scheduling it for even a couple hours at a time. It is the 100LL version though, made for training, and lacks the FADEC diesels and no TKS. Independence down at KAPA has a Baron for rent, but same issue. I haven't found a single twin in the Denver area that isn't booked solid for training. McAir won't even rent their twin w/o an instructor I am told.

I've been looking for someone willing to partner on a DA42 FADEC but haven't had any luck finding anyone interested, or even anyone who knows anything about the newer diesels. I was kicked off of the Diamond forums despite regularly renting multiple Diamonds because I don't actually own one, so that wasn't a great experience either. I'm primarily interested in it for the bubble view, extra baggage in the nose, quiet cabin (no prop or engine out front– with throttles pulled back it sounds like a glider), and secondarily the safety of two mills (with a proper pilot) over the mountains. Also two props is just cool. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 5:16 AM, KLRDMD said:

None of the above are true. Fuel for a given trip is 50% more. The Baron climbs twice as fast and cruises significantly faster than the 231. Insurance is 50% more (the Baron actually has a slightly higher hull value, but same limits as the 231) and annual is 50% more on the Baron than the 231. The Baron fits in the same hangar as the 231 and database updates are the same for the same avionics so the percent increase in those items is 0.

A follow up. I had the annual done on my 231 right before I sold it and the annual was also due on the Baron about the same time. With a small handful of minor squawks addressed during annual, the Mooney was about $2,500 and also with a small handful of minor squawks addressed during annual the Baron was just under $4,000.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 8:25 PM, KLRDMD said:

A follow up. I had the annual done on my 231 right before I sold it and the annual was also due on the Baron about the same time. With a small handful of minor squawks addressed during annual, the Mooney was about $2,500 and also with a small handful of minor squawks addressed during annual the Baron was just under $4,000.

Hi @KLRDMD

How does the interior space of the BE55 compare to the Mooney? It actually looks tighter in the Beech than the mooney.

Interesting thread. I am considering upping to a twin. Have a hankering for an Aerostar...but was considering a 58P also.

iain

The Eclipse Jet is a twin upgrade option.  A good one with iFMS 2.0x  is much cheaper than a new Baron. Cruises around 330 knots & burns about 85 GPH average.  Per mile about 2.5 x the cost of an Ovation. Easy entry/exit & good interior room.   Plus it will fit in the Mooney’s hangar.  

And you can say, with just the right tone of insouciance, “Why, yes, I am a jet pilot.”  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

The Eclipse Jet is a twin upgrade option.  A good one with iFMS 2.0x  is much cheaper than a new Baron. Cruises around 330 knots & burns about 85 GPH average.  Per mile about 2.5 x the cost of an Ovation. Easy entry/exit & good interior room.   Plus it will fit in the Mooney’s hangar.  

And you can say, with just the right tone of insouciance, “Why, yes, I am a jet pilot.”  

If anyone here wants to buy an Eclipse, I can put you in contact with someone who is selling his.  He stepped up from an Ovation.

Only 2.5X? Maybe fuel only but maintenance has to be 10x with 2 jet engines, pressurization I would think

29 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Only 2.5X? Maybe fuel only but maintenance has to be 10x with 2 jet engines, pressurization I would think emoji848.png

I looked carefully at EJ in 2017 and concluded that  2.5 x per mile is about right. It’s around twice as fast as an Ovation so say about 5 x per hour. 

Most EJ owners have “power by the hour” plans to cover all engine maintenance and eventually their overhaul.  Last year those cost about $120 per hour per engine.  

That 2.5 x  per mile figure does not include capital costs. But I didn’t count those costs in operating the Ovation either.   

On 7/16/2018 at 9:01 PM, milotron said:

How does the interior space of the BE55 compare to the Mooney? It actually looks tighter in the Beech than the mooney. Interesting thread. I am considering upping to a twin. Have a hankering for an Aerostar...but was considering a 58P also.

The cockpit width is similar but there is much more room in the second row as the seats are adjustable fore and aft like the front seats. And of course there is no 3rd row of seats in a Mooney. The windows make the Baron feel larger inside.

I looked at an Aerostar a few years ago and they're good airplanes too. I would probably get a 340 over a 58P.