Odd looking Injector (IO-360)

Hey guys,

I just got my engine back from overhaul and noticed that #3 was running 100 degrees hotter than all of the others. I pulled the injector to clean it and noticed the injector looks totally different than the others. I measured the opening in the top of the injector and it is definitely smaller than all of the others. The main difference is there's no restrictor/insert. I've Google'd and can't to find anything that references this style injector. To top it off, the company that did my overhaul went out of business... The second picture is the odd ball injector. Just ordered a new precision airmotive injector from aircraft spruce. 

20180126_152057.jpg

20180126_152044.jpg

That's the insert for the injector. It's about 1/2" Long. They come apart for cleaning. 

The lycoming P/N should be listed on the others. I don't think they sell the inserts seperatly. Good find. I know of several engine failures where the insert was dropped into an open spark plug hole or the insert found it's way into the fuel injector hole.

-Matt!

4 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The one with the blue circle has a removable orifice. You can pull it out. The other one is a different model injector. 

They should all be one or the other.

Good eye, I didn't see the inner barrel on the second photo. You are right, that one would have not taken the insert we are thinking of as the barrel is too small. 

-Matt

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The one with the blue circle has a removable orifice. You can pull it out. The other one is a different model injector. 

They should all be one or the other.

I agree. I think it's a totally different injector. I was able to get in touch with one of the mechanics from the engine shop and he told me it's an "early model" injector. Here are a few pics of the bottom of the injector. The bottom pic matches the other 3 injectors. 

20180127_113632.jpg

20180127_113641.jpg

20180127_113500.jpg

8 minutes ago, N601RX said:

All 4 of my injectors are like that one. It's just an older design. A PMA injector cost much less than the lycoming ones. 

Well that's good to hear. Ly-Con called me and confirmed it as well. Thanks so much for the responses guys!