M20C Panel Redo: EGT rotary switch too BIG.

0TreeLemur

15 hours ago, David Herman said:

Fred that looks great! Congrats!!

Thanks!   I'm really happy with how it turned out.  This being my first airplane, I asked for help.  The collective contributions of the MS community helped me to make what I think are better decisions!

2 hours ago, David Herman said:

We’ve got most of this in common Fred. It’s our first airplane. It’s also an M20C. And I saw this posted here on MooneySpace (about three years ago) when another member replaced his left panel with an owner-produced one with help from LASAR. And we did this with help from our IA, who installed an EDM -830 at the same time. Boy was it a lot of work !  Before / during / after ....

David

David, here's some synchronicity for you-  In early January when I first came across the photo you posted of your pile of instruments sitting there with no panel, I thought "I gotta do that".   Thanks for the inspiration!   Look back on this thread and you'll see that I took essentially the same photo.   Also the similar outcome is pretty striking.

Fred

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Herman said:

We’ve got most of this in common Fred. It’s our first airplane. It’s also an M20C. And I saw this posted here on MooneySpace (about three years ago) when another member replaced his left panel with an owner-produced one with help from LASAR. And we did this with help from our IA, who installed an EDM -830 at the same time. Boy was it a lot of work !  Before / during / after ....

CDF0C3B7-87E6-4143-8727-E7B0C454AF38.jpeg

BD4E7A4C-9191-4795-8E50-39A0D7F02506.jpeg

5CABA8C4-9D9F-4B59-A4B2-6E419B6691A7.jpeg

I really like how crisp and modern these new panels make the plane look. 

• Like 1

Yes, a huge improvement.  It makes the interior of my a/c look shabby...   I guess maybe we'll attack that next  ...  year.

Careful ... it becomes an addiction ... and there’s no twelve step program ... you just run out of money!

That is exactly what happened to me. 

New panel resulting in new seats resulting in new interior which will result in a new paint job.

1930649477_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.b9630ba73f80d8d9930f31f043891961.jpg

546e45436d2e1ea7f66a313ccd1d6319.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, David Herman said:

And me ...

• the panel as it is today ... (Add G5, Accutrac, AccuFlite Autopilots, upgraded EDM-830 to EDM-930, new carpet)

1F323B33-0343-40E6-96FF-DE4546C7B3B2.thumb.jpeg.5ac206195ee92c44fd49864f660e966c.jpeg

The plane we bought:

36B10339-B86C-45FA-A48B-FAB779E9BC1C.jpeg.a13437cb997933fcb584d83b868d64a0.jpeg

The plane today 9B07D2F6-5316-4D59-BB97-9FE79FA2ADEE.thumb.jpeg.6c5457b7bab146de1cd9b8fc0250e470.jpeg

Yeah man! Keep it going! I love watching vintage Mooneys restored beyond their former glory.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm about half way through a @Marauder style conversion. The panel is done. And a few other upgrades have been done as well. There are a few small items to go and then Interior and Paint will be the final items.

I'd love to get right to paint, but it really needs to be the very last thing after all the other work is done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DONE.  Finished installing labels/placards Sunday.  Panels cut on water jet $120.  Cerecote $50 and a twelve pack.   The rest- way too much to mention.  Now it is time for a victory lap around a good chunk of the north American continent.

IMG_0557.jpg

• Like 2

DONE.  Finished installing labels/placards Sunday.  Panels cut on water jet $120.  Cerecote $50 and a twelve pack.   The rest- way too much to mention.  Now it is time for a victory lap around a good chunk of the north American continent.
IMG_0557.thumb.jpg.d2c785f1a03fdbfa93830aeef91003f0.jpg

She’s looking great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

She’s looking great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks!  We're really pleased.    I'll finish my instrument rating with this setup.  My motivation came from this group.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 9:16 AM, Fred_2O said:

Done!!!  Still troubleshooting the Accutrak II, but everything is in place.  Compare with "before" photo on the 2nd page of this thread.   Another museum piece Mooney brought forward decades in terms of technology.

I hardly recognize the old girl :D

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 8:27 PM, Fred_2O said:

IMG_0557.jpg

Very nice Fred!

What is Cerecote?

Clarence

19 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Cerakote is generally used as a coating on firearms..tough stuff 

Yeah, I think it is a baked-on ceramic coating that imparts some serious hardness to the coated material.  It was done by a friend of my son who is very fond of the material, and he applies it to many things- including firearms.

23 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I hardly recognize the old girl :D

Thanks a bunch.   We are really enjoying the upgrade.  ADS-B in/out and the iPad have just revolutionized flying. 

On page 2 of this thread you'll find a photo of the panel that I think was last improved when you owned her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred_2O said:

Thanks a bunch.   We are really enjoying the upgrade.  ADS-B in/out and the iPad have just revolutionized flying.  On page 2 of this thread you'll find a photo of the panel that I think was last improved when you owned her.

I put in the KLN89B and traffic detector :D

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A more recent photo.  This panel upgrade was not that expensive.  Compare with an original or even 1990's updated panel, there is no comparison.  The amount of technology available provided by early 2000's GPS upgraded to WAAS plus ADS-B in/out and a certified engine monitor is really cool, and makes her a much more capable and interesting aircraft to pilot.  Those of you considering buying an older Mooney with the older panel should consider doing something like this.

Update_August2019.jpg