E.I. MVP-50 Question

dlmorris

6 hours ago, dlmorris said:

Has anyone installed this GEM System? Any experience history to share? 

I  installed a insight G3  on a '67 M20C   several years back. I  don't remember it being too bad. I think with all  the different  engine monitors  manufactures out there  why I can't speak for all the others Engine Monitor manufactures..... but the literature  seems to imply all the parts need to  install are included for installation. Which isn't true.  I my case I the  fuel flow transducer if I recall correctly had to female threaded fitting inlet and female threaded fitting outlet  and the fuel line that come into to the carburetor has a female threaded fitting. Maybe not a problem Experienced  A&P's but it took me awhile to research get the correct fittings to hook up the Fuel flow transducer a similar issue with hooking the fuel flow transducer electrically. I my opinion in order  to do the job  correctly....  I had to invest into  a specialized Raychem/Danniels crimp tool for a moisture prof butt splice ,not that it need to be moisture proof but I wanted a very low profile compared to standard vinyl  butt splice. Now looking back at it.... I suppose I could use a solderless sleeve to achieve similar result.  This was because of the location and  wiring/installation  requirements. If you are planning on doing it yourself make sure you  have or access to proper crimping tool(s) and correct contacts.   I had to send it back once in  6 or7  years since I installed it.  The early years  I think I went through   2 or 3 EGT probes  and 1 CHT probe. I haven't had to change EGT/CHT probe in about 3 or 4 years which was mostly probably caused by (OE) Operator Error. Last episode  was the Fuel flow reading  was erratic Insight had  me apply die electric compound  to the contacts in transducer. so far seems to work great. Just wish you did not have to order a separate unit  to get lat / long info from  input GPS data for an overlay with the engine data.  It would be nice if these Engine Monitor Manufactures would give us the  ability to wire less transfer for the engine data onto a IPad , tablet, cell phone or some other data collecting device.  Overall It has been  pretty descent  unit.

James

I used to drag a computer out to the plane...

Then I dragged a laptop....

then I saw small memory chips brought from planes...

Now I’m seeing blue tooth everywhere... as I drag an I-device everywhere...

I’m looking forward to this cell phone enabled data revolution!

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

I used to drag a computer out to the plane...

Then I dragged a laptop....

then I saw small memory chips brought from planes...

Now I’m seeing blue tooth everywhere... as I drag an I-device everywhere...

I’m looking forward to this cell phone enabled data revolution!

Best regards,

-a-

I’m in the process of reviving a Samsung Q1 to be used for my 430w updates and at the airport JPI analysis.  I always forget to pull the card/downoad the data until I’m halfway home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I’m in the process of reviving a Samsung Q1 to be used for my 430w updates and at the airport JPI analysis.  I always forget to pull the card/downoad the data until I’m halfway home. 

I have a Chuwi Hi8 Tablet with a Bluetooth Keyboard and a USB-C hub for plane use. It was about $175 with accessories. There are a fair number of even sub $100 Windows tablets out there these days.