M20K maintenance manual

Amelia

The mechanic who's trying to chase down an electrical malfunction in my 1980 231 needs a maintenance manual and specifically a schematic diagram of the wiring to the fuel flow transducer. I see that several shops sell Mooney maintenance manuals, but the one they sell for M20K is dated 1993. Mine is a 1980.  Will that $100 book be what I need?

Thanks!

Amelia, the factory updates the manuals so that very well could be the correct one.  Before purchasing, you ought to check for the "effectivity" that it covers and make sure your serial number is included.  You also might call Mooney and see which manual is current right now.  2 years ago they gave away USB flash drives with the current manuals particular to each plane through the service center network during a promotion.  Now you have to buy them of course, but it would be worth a call to inquire about the latest and greatest.

Oh, my! That is so very kind of you- Don wrestled with his computer unsuccessfully trying to copy the important parts, and the dear people at Willmar promised to email me a copy tomorrow, so if that doesn't work, I'll be begging for your help. Would you be willing to sell your spare manuals? I'm at least a day's drive from the nearest Mooney Service Center, and trying to get the mechanic who's just begun working here at EDE up to speed. I'm supposed to fly on Sunday, and thinking to tell the man to just button it all back up, and we'll get to it later.

Thanks again!!!!!

I got mine directly from Mooney. Just call them with your serial number. I have no clue what I paid for them but my mechanic keeps one set and I keep one set. I can loan you the section you need if you keep running into walls. I think they were a couple of hundred dollars but that is just a guess. Keep me informed and we'll get you what you need. Never be afraid to call Mooney, they have been very helpful with my questions. May have laid off some of the staff but I bet they would help your mechanic if he gave them a call. I called on a Friday, the tech called me back at 10pm on Friday night and left his home number as I missed the call. He instructed me to call him anytime day or night. I thought he was under the impression I had a new Mooney. Nope, he knew exactly how old my plane was.....really great service.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the offer and the good advice. The great guys at Mooney sent me a wiring diagram, which was helpful in determining there's nothing wrong with the wiring as far as we can tell. Now I fear we're down to the Flo Scan fuel flow tranducer itself, which seems clean and free of obvious problems... we'll fire 'er up tomorrow, and see for sure.  *sigh*

Bill Wheat and his colleague were just great, and the wiring diagram PDF- once printed on about 20 sheets of paper and taped into readable mural-sized format, were very helpful in curing a couple of vexatious problems. Unfortunately, we did not cure the fuel flow transducer problem, and so I'm probably stuck with buying another one. The FlowScan 201 I see on marine websites is a completely different thing, right, and that's why it costs 20% of the price of this two-ounce chunk of aluminum labeled for a Mooney?

Amelia, do you have an engine monitor by chance?  If not, I'd point you towards JPI because they're running a promotion right now where you can get an engine monitor, probes and a fuel transducer for a relatively cheap price...essentially the fuel flow transducer becomes free.  If you need to buy a new one and don't have a monitor, I'd highly recommend considering that deal. 

There also might be some other specials due to Sun 'n Fun next week.  Good luck!

Likewise, I'm looking for a Maintenance Manual for my '79 231.  Sounds like the choices are..

Call Mooney and get one on a flashdrive for $175 or so.

Go to Essco and get one for $100 in paper, but confirm that it's applicable first.

Georgia Mooney Pilot