Mooney Formation Flying

Oscar Avalle

Great article, thanks for sharing. Formation flying is on my list of things to do/learn. Unfortunately the Gunfighters Clinic (a short hop from home) is the first of the month which is when I'm closing out financials for the dealerships... That looks like about when they typically hold it so I will have to look at other options later this year or the beginning of 2019.

16 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Great article, thanks for sharing. Formation flying is on my list of things to do/learn. Unfortunately the Gunfighters Clinic (a short hop from home) is the first of the month which is when I'm closing out financials for the dealerships... That looks like about when they typically hold it so I will have to look at other options later this year or the beginning of 2019.

Hey Skates, you a bean counter?  My daughter is a CPA.  I thought, working for a dealership, you got your hands dirty at one point in your profession like me.  I missed that one!

Tom

5 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Hey Skates, you a bean counter?  My daughter is a CPA.  I thought, working for a dealership, you got your hands dirty at one point in your profession like me.  I missed that one!

Tom

Started as a parts driver and quickly worked my way to running the department. I eventually found myself in California managing Parts for three dealerships. I'm fortunate to work for a single owner, not corporate and the opportunity came up to advance about four years ago because our controller was going to be retiring. So, after discussion with the Dealer I went back to school for an Accounting degree and will be taking over as controller of the stores when she retires next month. As you know that position offers flexibility for time off anytime during the month, except the first five to seven days of the month. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rumblestrip said:

Skates whats the name of the Dealer group?  I work for an agency that works with car dealers, the owner is based, kind of, out of San Diego.  Not pitching service, just seeing if I know of the group.

Simpson Buick GMC of Buena Park 

Simpson Chevrolet of Garden Grove 

Simpson Chevrolet of Irvine 

***Sorry for totally side tracking this thread. It went sideways after the first couple posts, that might be a record even for Mooneyspace. 

On 1/25/2018 at 11:48 AM, Skates97 said:

We've got a pretty good group of Mooney Formation pilots around, and I'm always looking for people who are available to practice with. I'll be at the Yuma Clinic (this will be my 3rd), but after that I'm hoping to drag some of the other Best Coast pilots out more regularly. One of my Coworkers has a Columbia 400 and wants to get trained as well, so if I can find another safety pilot we can pick a day and get it done. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StinkBug said:

We've got a pretty good group of Mooney Formation pilots around, and I'm always looking for people who are available to practice with. I'll be at the Yuma Clinic (this will be my 3rd), but after that I'm hoping to drag some of the other Best Coast pilots out more regularly. One of my Coworkers has a Columbia 400 and wants to get trained as well, so if I can find another safety pilot we can pick a day and get it done. 

Count me in, you're just a short hop away from me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Skates, a few of us formators are meeting at KCMA Saturday 24 Feb for practice. While we aren’t holding a clinic, you’re welcome to come out and watch a brief/debrief and ride in someone’s right seat to see how it all comes together. StinkBug can’t make it that day but we are trying to set our next meet on a day he can make it.

If you’re planning to fly to OSH with the Caravan, register at mooneycaravan.com and we will get you form-qualified for that.

If you’re just wanting to try it, come take a ride with us. If the bug bites, you can come prepared to a clinic and try it yourself to see if it sticks. Warning: It’s very addictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, N9201A said:

Skates, a few of us formators are meeting at KCMA Saturday 24 Feb for practice. While we aren’t holding a clinic, you’re welcome to come out and watch a brief/debrief and ride in someone’s right seat to see how it all comes together. StinkBug can’t make it that day but we are trying to set our next meet on a day he can make it.

If you’re planning to fly to OSH with the Caravan, register at mooneycaravan.com and we will get you form-qualified for that.

If you’re just wanting to try it, come take a ride with us. If the bug bites, you can come prepared to a clinic and try it yourself to see if it sticks. Warning: It’s very addictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the invite! I'm part of the barbershop quartet in an upcoming performance of The Music Man so my Saturdays are booked until after closing night March 10th. If not for that I would make the short hop over to KCMA to ride along. 

I want to fly the caravan to OSH but it won't be for a year or two. I think in 2019 my son and I will be making a cross country trip back to NC and VA to visit the areas he is currently serving in as a missionary. That would push OSH back to 2020, but I want to learn formation well before that just for the challenge and experience of it. 

Let me know when some of you are getting together again. I'll send you my cell if you want to drop me a text next time.