Great New Video On How to Manage Mixture & LOP

Great new youtube video on how to manage mixture and fly LOP and ROP:

The most information dense filled video on the topic I can remember seeing in some time. The only real thing I would offer to add is Gami's recommend tablel on both how far to be LOP and ROP for any percent power; available here: afms gami injectors rev ir.pdf Incidentally the GAMI FAA approved mixture management is excellent guidance regardless of whether or not use Gami injectors or even if your not fuel injected. Its just that without good mixture distribution (<=0.5 GPH gami spread) an engine won't be able to fly very far LOP, if at all LOP (i.e. where all cylinders are LOP). But virtually any IO-360 can and most of the higher performance Continentals can but may require a little help.

But otherwise Martin does a great job of both communicating and illustrating a wealth of information on the subject matter. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am on the list of approved instructors for a local flying club with an A36 they like to run LOP. I passed Martin's excellent video on to their Chief to distribute the link as required viewing. 

I particularly like the fact he describes it in generalities, leaving it to the viewer to learn how to get there using their own equipment. Plenty of videos on how to use LF on an EDM.

• Like 1

Very useful video, Paul.  I was taught LOP operations by one of Tornado Alley's  test pilots. I flew into OKC via airline and he picked me up in our recently upgraded (normally aspirated) NWALL Bonanza (Northwoods Airlifeline) and had me fly it back to Ada.  By the time I got KADH he and I were comfortable with my operation of the new engine.  We did lunch and a short ground school and I then flew it back to the U.P. of Michigan, after a decent nap due to a very early start and afternoon ground temps in Ada in the summer time that were ungodly.

I could never get my Rocket to run there though.  By the time I cried uncle George had sent me 3 or 4 injector changes and I was getting concerned all the "TEST" time was spending too much time around peak and I had more likelihood of damaging the engine from "trying" to set up the engine for LOP ops.  By that time George had admitted the TSIO520NB was a challenge to get running LOP nicely due to the upflow intake system.   I DID keep the GAMA injectors though, and am over 2,000 hours on a 1600 hour TBO engine.

Thanks for posting.  I will be sharing with my NWALL pilots that DIDN'T get the hands on training for our Bonanza.

Tom

• Like 3

I don't know who Martin Pauly is but I dig his accent. I felt like I was getting a lecture from German rocket scientist...it lent a sort of veritas to his content! Nothing really new here, but a good primer for anyone who is just getting into LOP and a nice refresher overall.  And the outtakes...love the outtakes!  Fun to see him throw a few f-bombs out there!

We were joking with him on BeechTalk that he needs to create another video, but do it in German while wearing a white lab coat and then use English sub-titles.   :lol::) 

Martin is awesome, especially his other videos on going into Class B airports.  Great viewing for new pilots that may fear the bigger airports.

Cheers,

Brian