Panel Upgrade and Suggestions

thomas1142

I have just been informed that I need a new vacuum pump and new ELT, and this is only day one of my annual. Any way,

I have been considering some upgrades/additions to my panel. Here is what I am thinking...

New graphicical engine monitor

Backup AI

ADSB compliant transponder.

Let the suggestions fly, all are appreciated.

Here’s a pic of my current panel

Thanks

Angelos

8111978E-AF53-40D1-B1AA-6BCE0BE34608.thumb.jpeg.27deb58c1f40261c8c92523eaedb97f0.jpeg

From a CB perspective:

Quick cheap ADS-b out with the KT76 is swap to KT74 - plug and play plus 1 connection to your 530W.  This assumes you're satisfied getting ADS-b in just on your ipad or Aera.  Without added panel mount glass real estate, that's probably the best option.

Maybe a PMA7000 series audio panel swap for the KMA24 -  they are pin compatible, so low install cost, and BT is really nice. 

If you use ipad a lot in flight, consider a Flightstream to swap flightplans between panel and ipad.  Again super nice, no multi AMU price tag.  

Anything else either doesn't add much to what you already have or gets into  lots of AMU.

The King KT74 is a good choice and it is "plug and play" compatible for the transponder ONLY. 

I believe to enable the ADS-B OUT functionality you must install a new tray because the GPS source data is input on a second connector that does not exist on the KT76 tray.

Not a BIG deal but definitely not plug and play for ADSB ........

5 hours ago, Cruiser said:

The King KT74 is a good choice and it is "plug and play" compatible for the transponder ONLY. 

I believe to enable the ADS-B OUT functionality you must install a new tray because the GPS source data is input on a second connector that does not exist on the KT76 tray.

Not a BIG deal but definitely not plug and play for ADSB ........

Huh- I thought we used same tray but you may be correct.  There was a rebate for sending in the kt76 back then that made the whole thing super cheap. There may be better options now, but the transponder has been problem free.

9 hours ago, DXB said:

Huh- I thought we used same tray but you may be correct.  There was a rebate for sending in the kt76 back then that made the whole thing super cheap. There may be better options now, but the transponder has been problem free.

A couple of options. Use the same tray and add 1 wire from the 530 to the KT-74. What you do not get is any audio output from the KT 74. To get all of the functionality available, you would need to swap out the (likely riveted into the panel) tray. My mental calculation came up with the tray swap not being worth the $$$, and I have been happy with my KT 74 for the past 2 1/2 years.

The only other yellow flag would be if you have any intent in the future to swap the GNS 530W for the IFD 540/550. Per King, the STC does NOT cover input for the KT 74 from the Avidyne products. Even though the units are plug and play with the same trays. :wacko:

On 1/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, thomas1142 said:

I have just been informed that I need a new vacuum pump and new ELT, and this is only day one of my annual. Any way,

I have been considering some upgrades/additions to my panel. Here is what I am thinking...

Backup AI

Thanks

Angelos

8111978E-AF53-40D1-B1AA-6BCE0BE34608.thumb.jpeg.27deb58c1f40261c8c92523eaedb97f0.jpeg

Your '97 J (N30FM) came with the Classic Plus avionics package which was very well equipped for the time. (I had a '97 K model (N40FM) with about the same panel except it also came with altitude pre-select).

I'd swap out the Garmin GNS530W for an Avidyne IFD550 - they take trades. This has a built in AHRS so you have that plus all of the other great features like touch screen, synthetic vision, FMS, etc. Then I'd do an Avidyne AXP322 remote transponder to free up your right hand panel. You might have to move your ELT horizontal, but then I think you'd have room for a Garmin 796 AirGizmos panel dock with the angle adaptor to direct it more toward you. I would go with Don's suggestion on the JPI 800 in the same place as your 700 (spend the extra $300 and get the 3-1/8" display and removed the reducer in that standard size hole. None of this requires any panel cutting. 

Your '97 J (N30FM) came with the Classic Plus avionics package which was very well equipped for the time. (I had a '97 K model (N40FM) with about the same panel except it also came with altitude pre-select).

I'd swap out the Garmin GNS530W for an Avidyne IFD550 - they take trades. This has a built in AHRS so you have that plus all of the other great features like touch screen, synthetic vision, FMS, etc. Then I'd do an Avidyne AXP322 remote transponder to free up your right hand panel. You might have to move your ELT horizontal, but then I think you'd have room for a Garmin 796 AirGizmos panel dock with the angle adaptor to direct it more toward you. I would go with Don's suggestion on the JPI 800 in the same place as your 700 (spend the extra $300 and get the 3-1/8" display and removed the reducer in that standard size hole. None of this requires any panel cutting. 

I like Lance's ideas, except I'd encourage you to jump all the way to the EDM-900 and ditch the original engine instruments as the Moritz stuff is un-supported and could cause you trouble down the road. I think you could put one in the current location in portrait orientation, but the tach would likely need to be removed. (Some like to keep it for redundancy)

Edit: more thinking...you could keep the original tach and MP and simply move the gear switch over to the space vacated by the Moritz engine instruments, and have the -900 oriented upwards in portrait orientation. This wouldn't be very difficult at all.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2018 at 11:54 AM, thomas1142 said:

Backup AI

Thanks

Angelos

That’s a very capable panel. The only thing you may want to consider is a GTX345 transponder which gives you AHRS to an Aera 796 or 660 and to Garmin Pilot if you want. 

No reason to do anything with the radio stack but If you do wish to do anything there you need to consider the GTN750. With this you can go with a remote GTX345R and remote audio panel. That will free up some space on the panel. 

41 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I like Lance's ideas, except I'd encourage you to jump all the way to the EDM-900 and ditch the original engine instruments as the Moritz stuff is un-supported and could cause you trouble down the road. I think you could put one in the current location in portrait orientation, but the tach would likely need to be removed. (Some like to keep it for redundancy)

Edit: more thinking...you could keep the original tach and MP and simply move the gear switch over to the space vacated by the Moritz engine instruments, and have the -900 oriented upwards in portrait orientation. This wouldn't be very difficult at all.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

To build on Lance and Scott's ideas - IFD 550, EDM-900 and the L-3 Lynx NGT 9000R. The Lynx would be remote, so you would still have the right-hand panel clean, and you could display the ADS-B In weather and traffic on the 550. The Lynx also has the wireless connectivity for an iPad or similar EFB. If you want to go over the top, make it the 9000+R with TCAS traffic.

Just love spending OPM.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, thomas1142 said:

Backup AI

Thanks

Angelos

The first thing would be to velcro a Sensorcon where that CO card is.  And/or add a Guardian CO in the panel.

Tom, I remember chatting with you when we were checking out at the Summit. I recal that I was going to email you the discount info and I completely forgot. My apologies. 

Here it is:

www.sensorcon.com 

20%code: aircraft2017

The 20% guardian discount should also still work.  

Code: coaware

Cheers, 

Dan

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Oldguy said:

To build on Lance and Scott's ideas - IFD 550, EDM-900 and the L-3 Lynx NGT 9000R. The Lynx would be remote, so you would still have the right-hand panel clean, and you could display the ADS-B In weather and traffic on the 550. The Lynx also has the wireless connectivity for an iPad or similar EFB. If you want to go over the top, make it the 9000+R with TCAS traffic.

Just love spending OPM.

Does anyone actually have a Lynx NGT 9000R talking to an IFD 540/550?

On 1/25/2018 at 6:52 PM, DanM20C said:

The first thing would be to velcro a Sensorcon where that CO card is.  And/or add a Guardian CO in the panel.

Tom, I remember chatting with you when we were checking out at the Summit. I recal that I was going to email you the discount info and I completely forgot. My apologies. 

Here it is:

www.sensorcon.com 

20%code: aircraft2017

The 20% guardian discount should also still work.  

Code: coaware

Cheers, 

Dan

Thanks Dan. I’ll be ordering one soon. I can’t remember the entire conversation, but was there a recommendation on which model?

• Like 1

Thanks all for the suggestions. Looks like I’ll be getting a Tornado vacuum pump, a Artex 345 ELT during this annual.

Considering a Garmin 345 transponder for ADSB in and out along with the AHRS capability. 

Going to hold off on a standby AI since my mechanic says I have the best available standby vacuum pump system, and the 345 will provide AHRS on a tablet.

Have not settled on a graphic engine analyzer. An EDM 830 will require a panel mod since it won’t fit where the 700 is.

Edited by thomas1142

1 hour ago, thomas1142 said:

Have not settled on a graphic engine analyzer. An EDM 830 will require a panel mod since it won’t fit where the 700 is.

Looks like you have the space to do a CGR-30P in the current 700 slot, obviously more installation cost than a JPI upgrade. For all gauge replacement you'd probably need the CGR-30C as well, and that you don't look to have a good spot for without making things look ugly.