Crown Aviation v LASAR

M20Bdriver

Called for a quote from LASAR last week to have my main gear landing gear pucks replaced. They quoted me 2.5 to 3 hours. Called Crown Aviaton in San Diego trying to save myself a four hour trip northbound, and they quoted me 8 hours (4 hours per side). When I stated LASAR quoted 3 hours TOTAL , “they stated that perhaps, they could do it for 3 hours PER SIDE”. Mmmm.. anyone have a similar experience?

I assume they charge actual time. 3 total hours is about right as long as the shock links aren't corroded inside; in which case those will need replacing and along with likely new bearings and a bit more hardware.

Honestly, I know Crown very well as well as the folks at Lasar and personally I think Lasar was quoting you what it should take and Crown was quoting you what it could take but worse case it should still come out less than 8; maybe 6 unless you include the nose. Crown is very busy too. 

Not only do you get a cheaper shop bill going to LASAR but you get an excuse to fly four hours both way!!!! I’m sold

The plane was already jacked up but when I had my plane at Dugosh last March for the prebuy/annual Charlie and I replaced the mains in about 15 minutes each. That included him explaining what happens if you put it together wrong, and subsequently putting everything together right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did all the pucks (mains and nose), 2 of the shock links, the truss, bearings, and steering horn in a 6-7 hour day. "When in Rome." I'm far from a mechanic and just had my A&P sign off my work after his review. I probably had another couple hours in service manual reading prep.

I felt the mains were much easier than the nose. 2.5-3 is pretty fair for the mains in my opinion. Once it's on the jacks... you're just rolling around getting it done.