How to Spend $50K

GaryP1007

2 hours ago, Wayne Cease said:

Too bad Dynon has not gotten their STC work completed yet.  Their current goal is to have the hardware, STC and installation in the low to mid 20's.  That would give you a lot of gear for ~$25k.  Two displays and it should be around $30k. 

Dynon or GFC 500 certified for Mooney first, who's taking bets? 

12 minutes ago, Steve W said:

Dynon or GFC 500 certified for Mooney first, who's taking bets? 

With the list Garmin has already probably them.  If Dynon can get their work wrapped up they'll dominate the market.  The GFC w/ required G5 and 3-axis is ~$10k, plus STC, plus installation.  The Dynon is $16k, plus STC, plus installation.  Now, if one has a good autopilot and/or Aspen/nice HSI the GFC 500 is the cheaper route.  But if you don't have ADS-B out, have no or a weak AP then you get all sorts of things resolved going the Dynon route.  The Dynon route won't be cheap, but it will cover a lot.

Look at all the C/E/F and even J models out there with antique avionics in them.  Limited AP or maybe the Positive Control, old radios, a DG, maybe a KT 76 transponder.  If Dynon gets their STC in place those planes can all be fully updated.  Might take $35-40k for some of them (without a 430W already in them), but it would then be a completely different machine.

Dynon missed the planned date for their first set of planes in the STC, so don't hold your breath though.   :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Scott,
  • My thinking is probably flawed but thought with KI 300 + G5 I would have 2 boxes with different manufacture /software for redundancy. The inability to share resources to the autopilot negates this some and having 4 boxes vs 2 on Aspen is a negative. I don't understand interface limitations enough on the two boxes and neither is a very good road map forward.
  •  
Edited by preinke
grammar

1 hour ago, preinke said:
  • Scott,
  • My thinking is probably flawed but thought with KI 300 + G5 I would have 2 boxes with different manufacture /software for redundancy. The inability to share resources to the autopilot negates this some and having 4 boxes vs 2 on Aspen is a negative. I don't understand interface limitations enough on the two boxes and neither is a very good road map forward.
  •  

Having different manufacturers in the mix can be a bad thing if any of the manufacturers don't play nice in the sandbox. Especially when a failure occurs. I have multiple avionics from various venders in my plane and for the most part they play well together. You need to look at the long range plan for your plane to make sure buying into an interim step, doesn't create additional cost later.

I would spend a lot of time to make sure I understood what is integrated and what is a bolt on. In my case, the Aspens play nice with the Garmin GTN for both Nav and messaging. The L-3 9000+ works seamlessly across the Aspens for traffic & weather. The L-3 ESI-500 gets nav information from the GTN. Where are the limitations? It is the bolt ons. I can display my StormScope data from the WX-500 and traffic from the L-3 9000+ on the GTN - but FIS-B weather can't be displayed. A solution to this would have been to go with the GTX-345. It would display traffic, weather on the Aspens, Garmin Pilot and the GTN. Limitation? I wanted active traffic. In addition to the GTX-345, it would have required the Garmin's GTS 800 TAS solution for another $10k to get active traffic. 

My Garmin Pilot app talks with the GTN for uploading/downloading databases and flight plans. GP does not talk with the L-3 9000+ and can't get weather or traffic. I can get weather/traffic on other apps like FltPln Go, ForeFlight, etc. but that defeats the purpose. If I didn't have multiple MFD displays on the Aspen and L-3 9000+, I would need to run two apps (one to show traffic/weather) and the other to manage the flight plans & data concierge function. As it works out, Garmin Pilot is an extension of the flight planning capability of the GTN, provides charts for approaches and manages the database for the GTN. Since the approaches display on the Aspen PFD/MFD, weather & traffic are overlaid eliminating the need to look at Garmin Pilot other than to brief the approach.

I have been a strong advocate of avionics being standardized to allow full integration. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, preinke said:

IF the KI 300 does come out, Is there any better option than the G5 for a KI 525 replacement ?

There's no better option, imo. The  KI300 will provide attitude reference for your autopilot. The G5 HSI with NAV interface includes  the GAD 29 which provides heading and course to the autopilot. It will also give your autopilot GPSS. The G5 with GAD29B and GMU11 is under 3K$. You'll have brand new equipment for ~8K$ with full redundancy and dual battery backups. It doesn't give you an ADC which is nice to have but not really a must and there are other options to add it if desired. And who knows maybe G will add one down the road. It also doesn't give you a map inside the HSI but that's really not a must either. Personally I like my HSI to be an HSI and not cluttered with a map.

To do this with Aspen will cost you a lot more and you'll be stuck with old technology. That's a bad corner to be stuck in and go into with full prior knowledge. It's a severe limitation and a game stopper imho.

There's no better option, imo. The  KI300 will provide attitude reference for your autopilot. The G5 HSI with NAV interface includes  the GAD 29 which provides heading and course to the autopilot. It will also give your autopilot GPSS. The G5 with GAD29B and GMU11 is under 3K$. You'll have brand new equipment for ~8K$ with full redundancy and dual battery backups.  
To do this with Aspen will cost you a lot more and you'll be stuck with old technology. That's a bad corner to be stuck in. It's a severe limitation and a game stopper imo.

I noticed you left the “H” out in your “imo”. Freudian slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, preinke said:
  • Scott,
  •  

If the unit was named L3 300 or if it was a direct plug and play it might stand a chance.  Thing that bugs me about the Sandia unit is when the company was designing the AP interface their current customers were having problems with the units. Not sure if it was hardware or software but the company said we are busy for the next few months (working on the ki300) and the turnaround time would be at least 90 days. 90 days!  If a company said that to me I’d get my IA to remove the unit and take it out back with a GoPro and a sledgehammer. 

1 minute ago, preinke said:

Garmin providing attitude info from the GAD box would be a home run imo. What is active traffic ? I have a Garmin 39R and Pilot - what kind of traffic is this considered ?

Active is skywatch, L39000 w/active and Garmin 880 where the unit works independently from ground based relayed info. Works on the ground, less delay, more traffic depicted. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, preinke said:

Garmin providing attitude info from the GAD box would be a home run imo. What is active traffic ? I have a Garmin 39R and Pilot - what kind of traffic is this considered ?

Active traffic systems send out their own signals to interrogate transponder equipped aircraft. But aircraft that don't have a transponder or ADS-B out will not be detected. As more and more airplanes equip with ADS-B active traffic becomes less and less necessary imho.  ADS-B is here to stay. 

3 hours ago, PTK said:

To do this with Aspen will cost you a lot more and you'll be stuck with old technology. That's a bad corner to be stuck in and go into with full prior knowledge. It's a severe limitation and a game stopper imho.

http://marketing.aspenavionics.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/26251/p/p-001e/t/page/fm/0

• Like 1

Some can’t handle the honest facts so they resort to ad hominem attacks and name calling! They are stuck in junior school playground style bullying mentality. They just can’t shake it! 

I love it!

2 minutes ago, PTK said:

Some can’t handle the honest facts so they resort to ad hominem attacks and name calling! They are stuck in junior school playground style bullying mentality. They just can’t shake it! 

I love it!

I wouldn't be so tough on yourself.

• Haha 2

Some on here clearly can’t handle the truth! They are so weak and unable to face the cold hard facts because they destroy their warm and fuzzy illusions! 

They hate the truth and avoid it like the plague! Little do they know, the truth doesn’t care!

18 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Nice marketing material of archaic hardware. But they deserve and I do give them credit for being honest: 

“...in aviation, everything has an expiration date, and avionics, in particular, grow outdated as improvements in technology and safety become the new industry standard...”

Just don't turn around and expect me to pay for expired goods. Give me a fresh new and upgraded box that’s worthy of my consideration. I’ll be the first in line. 

2 hours ago, PTK said:

Nice marketing material of archaic hardware. But they deserve and I do give them credit for being honest: 

“...in aviation, everything has an expiration date, and avionics, in particular, grow outdated as improvements in technology and safety become the new industry standard...”

Just don't turn around and expect me to pay for expired goods. Give me a fresh new and upgraded box that’s worthy of my consideration. I’ll be the first in line. 

Wait wait, I'm confused Peter, are you talking about your beloved KI-256 again? BTW I think its time you got rid of that antiquated iPhone 7 and upgrade to an iPhone X-we all know apple slows down the old models with every software update- you do update your software on your antiquated devices, don't you?!

Edited by N6758N