How to Spend $50K

GaryP1007

I’d like to thank Gary the OPer....
MSers are always helpful at spending OPM.  They look forward to it, and are really good at it.
The 50AMU budget is a huge amount.  Unfortunately, it isn't an open wallet.
An open wallet upgrade can go towards 100amu.

Question for Gary the OPer...
What is your typical flight that you would design the panel around?
Best regards,
-a-

Typical flight is in the northeast from DC to Maine. Also a handful of trips per year to the Carolinas and also Nashville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary, the KFC 150 is a very capable digital autopilot. The weak link is its dependancy on vacuum. You also mentioned you’d like GPSS. You can go one of two directions:
Either KI300 and a G5 HSI or altetnatively a G500 txi and a GAD43E.
Both will enable you to remove the vacuum system and provide attitude reference to your KFC. The G500 txi adds an ADC and gives you some options or enablements as Garmin calls them. 

Thanks. I’ll research all.

Typical flight is in the northeast from DC to Maine. Also a handful of trips per year to the Carolinas and also Nashville.

If you want to check out a retrofit glass panel plane, drop me a PM. I’m based out of N57. Where in the DC area are you based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a coincidence! $50k is what I spent 5 years ago... Aspen 1000Pro PFD, Garmin GTN 750, JPIU EDM 930, Garmin GDL 88 (remote), Garmin xponder & audio panel, plus fabrication of new panel and moving some of the existing components. Very capable. 
IMG_20171029_131906835_HDR.thumb.jpg.9a575ee63e8c5e9be6422b309a872060.jpg

Very very nice Bob.

I can speak to 44k ish on a similar starting point as you not counting the sale of many items that were removed. I think I'll have recouped around 10k for removing the below items.

Items removed.... Whiskey compass, jpi 700, Garmin 430w, Kma audio, BK Nav, BK Comm, reverse seven antennaes, MP gauge, Tach, voltmeter/ammeter, instrument cluster, VOR indicator, old intercom, etc.

Items being installed....Garmin 750, 650, GMA 35 remote audio, jpi 900, vertical compass, GTX 345, and a DAC gpss controller.

Im going to wait on the six pack, glass, HSIs, and potential digital autopilot for a while and let things work out in the marketplace. I'm quite comfortable using a stratus with Foreflight for backup. These numbers aren't exact but pretty close. I will update numbers when it's completed on the thread I started a while back.

Heres a couple of pics

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

I can speak to 44k ish on a similar starting point as you not counting the sale of many items that were removed. I think I'll have recouped around 10k for removing the below items.
Items removed.... Whiskey compass, jpi 700, Garmin 430w, Kma audio, BK Nav, BK Comm, reverse seven antennaes, MP gauge, Tach, voltmeter/ammeter, instrument cluster, VOR indicator, old intercom, etc.
Items being installed....Garmin 750, 650, GMA 35 remote audio, jpi 900, vertical compass, GTX 345, and a DAC gpss controller.
Im going to wait on the six pack, glass, HSIs, and potential digital autopilot for a while and let things work out in the marketplace. I'm quite comfortable using a stratus with Foreflight for backup. These numbers aren't exact but pretty close. I will update numbers when it's completed on the thread I started a while back.
Heres a couple of pics
IMG_2438.thumb.JPG.76ffa1997f3be69c739117d333e0734d.JPG
IMG_2438.thumb.JPG.202077ccee7a0d9431943c760f11f0af.JPG

Thanks for sharing.

Here is what 50, 60, okay, 70, okay 80 AMU will get you. Who knows how much I spent? I know someone who doesn't 

Circa 2001

Cockpit1.thumb.jpg.f4fb23f0d8b80cd652664b538ed526c9.jpg

March 2017

5a669e7253303_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.947d9b4a0d8c1d7fbbd98a8cb0a2e717.jpg

IMG_2086.thumb.jpg.0c994002c69a3fbcf27502a92492e29c.jpg

What isn't readily visible is the WX-500 in the avionics bay, the extras added in like the single cue flight director, SYN VIS on the Aspen, STEC 60-2 with autotrim, Nav & magnetometer on the ESI-500, TAS on the L-3 9000, Stormscope integration on the GTN, L-3 9000+ and Aspens, two AoA indicators, ATAS warning system and the EI voice annunciator.

Now if I can just find some nice fitting Klixon switch covers...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you need to go none of these electronic gadgets will get you there quicker than a pilot relief tube. For less than $50 you can have the comfort of the airlines and the cup holders. Best mod I had.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=PILOT+RELIEF+TUBE&x=31&y=15

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9411339/00165

José

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Piloto said:

When you need to go none of these electronic gadgets will get you there quicker than a pilot relief tube. For less than $50 you can have the comfort of the airlines and the cup holders. Best mod I had.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=PILOT+RELIEF+TUBE&x=31&y=15

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9411339/00165

José

Jose,  I’ve seen you post many times about how great your relief tube is.   It must do one hell of a job sucking.  I just use a half gallon milk jug, but maybe I’m cheating myself out of something better. :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I thought electronic prices were supposed to double in power and go down in price exponentially every 18 months....Moores law and such.....wait a minute I just said the dumbest thing on the internet today....these are FAA certified electrons.....

The FAA certification is definitely a big hurdle in that.

The other is the dis-economies of scale.  Apple has sold 32 million iPhone 8/8+.  Samsung has sold over 20 million Samsung S8 phones.  Garmin has sold 125,000 GNS 430 units.  That's less than half of what Samsung sells daily for just their S8 phone (278,000/day).

10 minutes ago, Wayne Cease said:

Too bad Dynon has not gotten their STC work completed yet.  Their current goal is to have the hardware, STC and installation in the low to mid 20's.  That would give you a lot of gear for ~$25k.  Two displays and it should be around $30k. 

By the time you get a nice waas gps you’ll be back to that 40k plus region.