How to Spend $50K

GaryP1007

I see no reason to even consider Aspen. Their offerings are archaic and stale in comparison.

I’d look into a GTN750 with a G500 txi configuration that makes sense for your panel. Depending on what you want.

Do you gave an autopilot? If not the Dynon Skyview may make a lot more sense if and when they add the Mooney to their AML.

Edited by PTK
  • Like 1

In order of priority:

-A JPI or EI engine monitor that is certified as primary.  Dump some old gauges.

-Autopilot - it's a tricky time because a couple of new low cost options are about to appear.

-A good  glass PFD to interface with the autopilot.  Aspen is still a great choice since 50k is not an infinite budget, and it gives you GPSS without a separate install.  The digital HSI kicks ass.  Since you already have a digital backup AI, dump the vac pump.

-Maybe a modern audio panel - BT capability is really nice.  

-Reorganize all this stuff in a nice new panel exactly how you want it, do a clean install of the breakers, etc.

-Flightstream! Make your ipad talk to your panel (assuming you are staying with a Garmin GPS).  It sounds dispensable, but you will quickly wonder how you ever did without this.

-Consider swap of >30 year old throttle, mixture, prop cables while the panel is out.  These are a pain but if everything is pulled apart anyway, it's the time to do it.

Then see how much money you have left. 50k seems like a lot but it burns fast.  Maybe you'll have enough left to upgrade your 430W as Paul suggests, maybe not.  You certainly won't have enough after that to do a pfd /mfd combo like the G500.   The Dynon would go to the top of the list however if it were actually ready.

I have a KFC-150, but would love to enhance its' capabilities with GPSS etc.  Failed to mention that I upgraded the audio panel about 4 years ago.  I like the engine monitor recommendations and Flightstream.  Any thoughts on the G5?

13 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

I have a KFC-150, but would love to enhance its' capabilities with GPSS etc.  Failed to mention that I upgraded the audio panel about 4 years ago.  I like the engine monitor recommendations and Flightstream.  Any thoughts on the G5?

G5 won't send attitude info to your 150 so you either need the expensive Aspen box or keep the ki256

Before I go recommending expenses, what type of plane and what type of flying do you do/want to do?

Makes it easier to figure out what to recommend, although some things like a good engine monitor fit regardless.

6 minutes ago, peevee said:

G5 won't send attitude info to your 150 so you either need the expensive Aspen box or keep the ki256

Or, (and I'm really hesitant to suggest this since it's still vapor and technically a King product even if they don't actually manufacture it) the KI-300. I'm personally waiting for the GFC 500 STC/AML for my plane.

Also, there is a small chance that Garmin may decide to manufacture an interface box for the G5 to handle the attitude side, but as usual Garmin isn't saying anything.

36 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

Gary, the KFC 150 is a very capable digital autopilot. The weak link is its dependancy on vacuum. You also mentioned you’d like GPSS. You can go one of two directions:

Either KI300 and a G5 HSI or altetnatively a G500 txi and a GAD43E.

Both will enable you to remove the vacuum system and provide attitude reference to your KFC. The G500 txi adds an ADC and gives you some options or enablements as Garmin calls them. 

Edited by PTK

23 minutes ago, PTK said:

Gary, the KFC 150 is a very capable digital autopilot. The weak link is its dependancy on vacuum. You also mentioned you’d like GPSS. You can go one of two directions:

Both will enable you to remove the vacuum system and provide attitude reference to your KFC. The G500 txi adds an ADC and gives you some options or enablements as Garmin calls them. 

You forgot to mention the Aspen Peter:D

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PTK said:

I will mention that one risk right now is that if you go with the G500/G500 Txi there is currently no current path to upgrading your King to the less expensive GFC 500 autopilot with the G500 driving it. If you decide to upgrade later you're currently stuck with moving to the GFC 600. Of course, if the GFC 500 is never going to be available for your aircraft then this wouldn't be an issue.

6 hours ago, GaryP1007 said:

I have a 430 WAAS, a compliant xpdr, electronic backup AI. Other than that it’s the original 1986 style instruments.

Looking for ideas on the best upgrade with a $50k budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary -- I would spend some time at different avionics shops and learn as much as you can about the options available to you. As someone who has done extensive avionic upgrades, the first step is knowing what will benefit your flying. The rest is window dressing. I would also look at the compatibilities closely and understand what box will work with another vendor. 

Final words of advice: try to do it all at the same time. You can spend a ton on additional labor to re-open the stack to add something later.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Gary -- I would spend some time at different avionics shops and learn as much as you can...

This is terrible advice!  Learning all you can leads to 'analysis paralysis’ which is a huge reason to do nothing.

Put all the options on little slips of paper, put them in a shoebox and ask your wife to blindly draw one out.

Decision made!  How can your wife object since she made the decision?

:ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

This is terrible advice!  Learning all you can leads to 'analysis paralysis? which is a huge reason to do nothing.

Put all the options on little slips of paper, put them in a shoebox and ask your wife to blindly draw one out.

Decision made!  How can your wife object since she made the decision?

:ph34r:

You know she will pull the one that says "2 Weeks Vacation in Paris". :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, N6758N said:

You forgot to mention the Aspen Peter:D

I didn't mention Aspen because it’s very long in the tooth, archaic technology in comparison. The KI300 is brand new as is the G500txi and G5.

Edited by PTK

I’d like to thank Gary the OPer....

MSers are always helpful at spending OPM.  They look forward to it, and are really good at it.

The 50AMU budget is a huge amount.  Unfortunately, it isn't an open wallet.

An open wallet upgrade can go towards 100amu.

Question for Gary the OPer...

What is your typical flight that you would design the panel around?

Best regards,

-a-

16 minutes ago, PTK said:

I didn't mention Aspen because it’s very long in the tooth, archaic technology in comparison. The KI300 is brand new as is the G500txi and G5.

Good point, I forgot about the KI300, it is so futuristic that no one can even get their hands on it! Damn Archaic Aspens!:blink:

• Haha 1