1964 M20C Weight and Balance Calculator

Suspect the WnB calcs for the C and E models are essentially the same... for identical years...

The only difference will be the individual weights of the airframe itself, which are noted in your logs, or on a loose piece of graph paper from the factory the day your plane was born....

Do you have the original weight and balance details from your logs?

Best regards and welcome aboard,

-a-

The only differences between the C and E are about a 20Lb difference between the Fuel injected IO360 and the carbureted O360.

Other things too look for are a change in weight around the 1965C. There was a significant update for the model year.  Square windows, fuel strainer, 52 gallons of gas, vacuum driven stair, that kind of thing.

PP thoughts being shared, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Ha ha Stiengar appreciate the heads up. Just going through the calculations and with full fuel and husband (220 lbs) and wife (143 lbs) up front puts the CofG out of limits forward which is quite surprising. With fuel burn things get better and obviously putting some ballast aft will sort things out so not a problem.

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

The only differences between the C and E are about a 20Lb difference between the Fuel injected IO360 and the carbureted O360.

Other things too look for are a change in weight around the 1965C. There was a significant update for the model year.  Square windows, fuel strainer, 52 gallons of gas, vacuum driven stair, that kind of thing.

PP thoughts being shared, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I think it's closer to 40lbs which is not insignificant.  The parallel valve engine is lighter whether injected or carburetted.  RV builders prefer the injected parallel valve for this reason. I'd bet the difference in the weight of the fuel delivery systems is negligible. 

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

Has your C been reweighed?     Seems heavy according to the discussion above.   Should be 40 to 60 lbs lighter than my F.                                                                 My is 1696#'s. this is a continual calculation weight.

Interesting note...   I picked up a Mooney W&B spreadsheet from somewhere and it had one of the stations wrong.    When I put things in the DroidEFB it sorts them via stations.   I believe it was the Luggage compartment and the hat rack.   I have been doing it on the phone wrong for several years....  Not to my demise thankfully

20 hours ago, DeltaBravo said:

Ha ha Stiengar appreciate the heads up. Just going through the calculations and with full fuel and husband (220 lbs) and wife (143 lbs) up front puts the CofG out of limits forward which is quite surprising. With fuel burn things get better and obviously putting some ballast aft will sort things out so not a problem.

That is surprising.  I can put 480lbs in the front seats with full fuel and zero ballast in the back seats, luggage compartment, or hat rack.  If I put 120lbs of ballast in the baggage compartment, I can put 540 lbs in the front, full fuel, and be within limits

Edited by ragedracer1977

22 hours ago, DeltaBravo said:

Something smells.  What you just described is an average flight for me.  My 62M20c is not detectably nose heavy in the conditions you just described.  My Cherokee used to get that way with a couple big guys in front, so I know what its like.  Either your calculations are in error, or the data on which you've based them.  

Your Mooney will lift most anything you put in it.  You can overload a Mooney, but it isn't easy and someone is going to be very uncomfortable.

15 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

That is surprising.  I can put 480lbs in the front seats with full fuel and zero ballast in the back seats, luggage compartment, or hat rack.  If I put 120lbs of ballast in the baggage compartment, I can put 540 lbs in the front, full fuel, and be within limits

Mine is very, very similar to this.

15 hours ago, Yetti said:

Interesting note...   I picked up a Mooney W&B spreadsheet from somewhere and it had one of the stations wrong.    When I put things in the DroidEFB it sorts them via stations.   I believe it was the Luggage compartment and the hat rack.   I have been doing it on the phone wrong for several years....  Not to my demise thankfully

Yetti any chance you have the stations on hand? 

The limits that I have from the manual are as follows: Most forward 2100 lbs 42"; Forward Gross 2575 lbs 46.5"; Rear Gross 49" 

10 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Mine is very, very similar to this.

I, too, have often put well over 400 lbs. in the front seats, with full fuel, nothing much in the back, and a heavy Hartzell 3-blade prop on the nose. Ain't never had no problem . . . I'll have to dig up my W&B spreadsheet now!