Audio panel questions

I'm stuck and am looking for a new audio panel.  I've been looking at the PMA8000 series and the Garmin 340 series.  Either one better than the other?  I'm not flying a jet as my wife says and if it were up to her we would have string and cups between us.   I'm upgrading from a KMA24  so anything would be better but looking for the best I can afford.

What are your goals? Did your old one die a d you just need a new one or do you want better features like Bluetooth?

I have heard great things about the Garmin 350 with ability to send different things to different ears. I'd like to try one.

I have had the gma347 and it's ok, it doesn't soft mute well if music is a concern.

I have had a pma8000 too and consider it basically lateral with the 347, I would get whichever was cheaper.

From the ps website -

Maybe you can find one used and save on labor.

"PMA7000 Series – These  audio panel incorporates a 6-place hi-fi stereo IntelliVox® intercom and telephone interface. Bluetooth is available in some models. They are all pin compatible with the KMA24 audio panel, reducing the amount of time it takes to install. "

I know this doesn’t answer the question, but I love my KMA-24 and Sigtronics intercom. Simple, cheap, and about as bullet-proof as you can get. Pretty damn quiet, too, for 30 year old units. 
My push buttons on both comms are worn out

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I installed a 340 that I found a good deal on a few years ago. I later sold it and replaced it with a 8000bt that was priced to sell immediately on beech talk. The 8000bt was the more expensive unit but it seems to be a better unit. Unless you are installing it yourself the labor is going to make any price difference in what you pay for a used unit seem pretty small.  If you cleaning up you panel getting rid of the external intercom will free up a little more panel space. 

Are you interested in the 3D Sound?  ATC coming from a different place than the back seaters and things like that?

We have an MSer from both PSengineering and Big G...

@Marauder has had some really good PSengineering experience.

For Best pricing, pick up a used exact BK model you have...

I think I would go Big G for their remote unit if I had a remote stack of cash....  the O wants to send as many Lbs back to the tail as possible...

The step up to having BT for calling in clearances via cellphone would be worth a few pennies...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Do you have a KMA24?   I had a KMA 20    Which only the pilot can talk to the co pilot.   The 8000 uses sub D connectors so it will be a change from the KMA24.   The 6000 and 7000 use the mostly extinct black molex connectors.   Pick up a used 6000 or 7000.   It is alot of work to switch out the connectors.

In previous threads folks seemed to like PS Engineering the best. From what I understand now is "Big G," has stepped up and is very close to being equal. FWIW I'm currently having a remote Garmin unit with 3-D sound etc. installed.

• Like 1

Love, love, love, my PMA450a. And the IntelliAudio is no joke. It's nice to be able to easily monitor ATIS and listen to ATC at the same time. Both Coms in the same ears is impossible to listen and understand both. Move ATIS to a different location where it sounds likes it's coming from the back corner of the plane, and all of a sudden it's easy to comprehend both Coms simultaneously.

Sound quality is amazing as well. The auto squelch is awesome. I had quite a bit of electronic noise over the headsets with the old GMA340. The PMA450a silenced all of it. The bluetooth also works well. I was once on the phone with a co-worker during my runup and full power climb out. (Right seat was flying the plane). The person on the phone had no idea I was even in the airplane.

Wire it up properly and you can monitor multiple freq's at the same time. I can monitor Com2 and the Standby freq on Com1 all while using the Primary freq on Com1.

I'm sure the latest audio panels from G will do many of the same things, but I'm very happy with the quality of the PS Engineering products and with @Mscheuer active on the forums here, it's even better working with a company that takes care of us little guys.

• Like 2

I'm with Paul.  I would think the install prices would be similar to the 8000.  I have the PMA450, while Paul has the "A" version.  His can set copilot as passenger, and that's a nice feature that mine doesn't have; it adds more flexibility with muting and music distribution to the copilot.  The intelliaudio is great because I know instantly which com is receiving.  Having the LCD screen for setup is another plus.

Forgot to mention, the USB port built in to the front is crazy helpful.  No more fears of my ipad or stratus discharging during flight.  The 450A has the newer USB-C(?)

• Like 1

I did a lengthy, if not boring review, of the PMA 450A. I had the 8000BT (replaced subsequently with the 8000G) prior to the 450A. As others mentioned above, it comes down to what you need/desire. As an IFR pilot, having the ability to call up for an IFR clearance through my cell phone using the audio panel was highly desired functionality. The PS Engineering does this well and can tell you the status of your cell phone. As well, you can use the Bluetooth capability from the audio panel to connect simultaneously with your iPad to get the audi announcements from your app. The built in USB-C port is capable of charging the big iPad Pro at the higher current draw.

A second desired feature for me was the ability to monitor ATIS, etc. in one ear and listen to ATC with the other. With the 8000BT, you could put the unit in monitor mode and listen to the second radio while listening to the first radio. Only problem with this approach is if the ATC channel was busy, the second radio would be muted a lot. Your brain can listen to both. I find this helpful for picking up the ATIS for controlled fields. With FIS-B, for uncontrolled fields I am typically able to get the minute weather from a display.

The modern audio panels also incorporate the intercom with the panel. And you will have a number of different combinations you can use to allow people to listen to different music sources, talk with you or with each other and not you. 

The downside of these panels is a lot of labor for installing them. If these features aren't needed or wanted, the cheapest way to proceed is to slide in a replacement KMA24.

I did a lengthy, if not boring review, of the PMA 450A. I had the 8000BT (replaced subsequently with the 8000G) prior to the 450A. As others mentioned above, it comes down to what you need/desire. As an IFR pilot, having the ability to call up for an IFR clearance through my cell phone using the audio panel was highly desired functionality. The PS Engineering does this well and can tell you the status of your cell phone. As well, you can use the Bluetooth capability from the audio panel to connect simultaneously with your iPad to get the audi announcements from your app. The built in USB-C port is capable of charging the big iPad Pro at the higher current draw.
A second desired feature for me was the ability to monitor ATIS, etc. in one ear and listen to ATC with the other. With the 8000BT, you could put the unit in monitor mode and listen to the second radio while listening to the first radio. Only problem with this approach is if the ATC channel was busy, the second radio would be muted a lot. Your brain can listen to both. I find this helpful for picking up the ATIS for controlled fields. With FIS-B, for uncontrolled fields I am typically able to get the minute weather from a display.
The modern audio panels also incorporate the intercom with the panel. And you will have a number of different combinations you can use to allow people to listen to different music sources, talk with you or with each other and not you. 
The downside of these panels is a lot of labor for installing them. If these features aren't needed or wanted, the cheapest way to proceed is to slide in a replacement KMA24.
The PMA450A is amazing. You might be able to find a discount at Sun n Fun. I got one at OSH last year.

If you don't go all the way to the best available, at least get one with the now common/standard tray that works with the latest Garmin and PSE units so you can upgrade later without a new installation.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just put in a PMA-8000 BTi.  I did the panel wiring and four new headset jacks.  The labor involved is no joke.  It’s literally connected to just about everything else in the panel. 

I love the clarity of the unit.  I have the intelliaudio feature and the Bluetooth.  The ability to create different sound scapes (ie family listening to entertainment while I am isolated), or me listening along but ATC muting entertainment for only the crew while rear pax listen merrily away is a great feature. 

Probably twice as clear and noise cut down 75% compared to the outgoing KMA-20. 

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Love, love, love, my PMA450a. And the IntelliAudio is no joke. It's nice to be able to easily monitor ATIS and listen to ATC at the same time. Both Coms in the same ears is impossible to listen and understand both. Move ATIS to a different location where it sounds likes it's coming from the back corner of the plane, and all of a sudden it's easy to comprehend both Coms simultaneously.

Sound quality is amazing as well. The auto squelch is awesome. I had quite a bit of electronic noise over the headsets with the old GMA340. The PMA450a silenced all of it. The bluetooth also works well. I was once on the phone with a co-worker during my runup and full power climb out. (Right seat was flying the plane). The person on the phone had no idea I was even in the airplane.

Wire it up properly and you can monitor multiple freq's at the same time. I can monitor Com2 and the Standby freq on Com1 all while using the Primary freq on Com1.

I'm sure the latest audio panels from G will do many of the same things, but I'm very happy with the quality of the PS Engineering products and with @Mscheuer active on the forums here, it's even better working with a company that takes care of us little guys.

And it’s nice to buy a product developed and produced by an Company here in East Tennessee. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

I have decided to hunt down a PMA8000BT.  I found a 8000B on Ebay but they want 800. no tray or connector.   I'll keep looking.  I am getting closer to dialing it all in.  I got an EDM900,  found a source for a 530waas.  slowly I'll upgrade. 

Exactly how I did mine. It took me about 7 months of slowly collecting all the various components, but the result was an amazing panel for about half of the retail price.

• Like 1

jclemens (from Daytona aircraft) posted in the for sale forum and sold me a clean 8000b with tray and built me a cleanly terminated and labeled new wiring harness for $800 shipped.  

I’ve seen them go with tray for a little less, but not with a clean new harness from an avionics shop.