Airspeed Switch Issues

dlmorris

I had the same thing happen to me.  I used the same technician for years with out trouble.  I joked with him about being slow because it would take him the better part of a day. He said most people cut corners and to do it right takes time. He retired, the next shop did it in two hours and  my gear wouldn’t come up on the flight home. 

Luckly I found a used one for $100.  If I remember right a new one is $700+.

Cheers,

Dan

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Doesn’t that only override the squat switch?

-Robert

It looks like the that SB is referring to the squat switch. 

Both my 69C and 79K only had/have an airspeed switch. My K has a factory override switch, the C didn’t. Would be easy to install one though, a nice addition when you have to swing the gear at annual.  

Cheers,

Dan

I had the same thing happen to me.  I used the same technician for years with out trouble.  I joked with him about being slow because it would take him the better part of a day. He said most people cut corners and to do it right takes time. He retired, the next shop did it in two hours and  my gear wouldn’t come up on the flight home. 
Luckly I found a used one for $100.  If I remember right a new one is $700+.
Cheers,
Dan

I paid $1,300 for mine. I wish it was $700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

Airspeed switch is current technology for Long Bodies...

A bypass button on the panel is current also...

The bypass is an interesting Plan B, for a device that can't be tested during the usual pre-flight activities...

If it could be tested, the weight and expense would be eliminated...

Squat switches are known for their donut age and cold temperature sensitivities....

Airspeed switches don't have many failures reported around here, compared to squat switches...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Thanks to all that commented. I had the switch replaced ($1,300.00). DuGosh did the work and didn't mention alternative solutions. Note to self, static system checks will include tech prior acceptance of responsibility for such damage.  

The company that makes the switch is still in business. I checked with them once and I believe they will overhaul them for not a lot of money.

Can I get their info? I still have my old one and would like to get it rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/21/2018 at 6:30 AM, dlmorris said:

The airspeed switch on my K Model was damaged by the "technician" who last performed the required static system test. He (of course) is denying responsibility. Has anybody else had a similar issue?   

I may be slow on the uptake......How does one damage the airspeed switch during a static system check? I want to prevent such an occurrence.

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2018 at 7:30 AM, dlmorris said:

The airspeed switch on my K Model was damaged by the "technician" who last performed the required static system test. He (of course) is denying responsibility. Has anybody else had a similar issue?   

I went through this exact situation about a month ago. The shop that installed my GTX345 really screwed up my pitot static check and blew my airspeed switch. 

The manufacturer won’t work on anything over like 10 years old.

Search eBay for the part. I was able to source one. Try to find ones that let you return. The first switch I bought was failed by my mechanic because it went off at 40 kts and I had to buy a second. Spent a total of $400 on the two. 

I still have the first one that my mechanic didn’t like if you would like a shot at getting it to work. PM me if your interested. 

My '82 has an air actuated switch mounted on the leading edge of the wing for a Hobbs meter.   At least that is what the parts manual says (section 39-10-00), there is no Hobbs on the airplane.  It seems like a much simpler and less expensive way to get the job done.  Aside from accuracy the difference would seem to be the current carrying capacity.  And really,  the switch is just about preventing inadvertent retraction.  It's curious the design choice was to use an expensive device suitable for use as an industrial control system input that has to be plumbed in.  

With the master on I would never raise the gear handle on the ground unless on jack

55 minutes ago, skykrawler said:

My '82 has an air actuated switch mounted on the leading edge of the wing for a Hobbs meter.   At least that is what the parts manual says (section 39-10-00), there is no Hobbs on the airplane.  It seems like a much simpler and less expensive way to get the job done.  Aside from accuracy the difference would seem to be the current carrying capacity.  And really,  the switch is just about preventing inadvertent retraction.  It's curious the design choice was to use an expensive device suitable for use as an industrial control system input that has to be plumbed in.  

With the master on I would never raise the gear handle on the ground unless on jack

On my ‘78 J that switch was connected to the Davtron clock for recording flight time. Probably difficult to calibrate accurately. 
Skip