M20B Average Empty Weights?

Guest Spike Kavalench

Guest Spike Kavalench

So I can’t figure out how this M20B gained 250 pounds since 1961, considering it only had a turbo and paint job added and in fact should have lost some weight with avionics, starter and alternator upgrades. What are other M20B’s coming in at? Think I need to reweigh it.

499435DD-03E4-4C05-B0D3-55F268D19E0F.jpeg

44FFD0F4-4D3C-4C95-B30E-D385B6015DED.png

1) The original WnB data doesn't look like 1961...

2) What's the date on the new data?  Do you know the mechanic that did it?

3) Looks like a page showed up from somebody else's log book...

4) Need to find out where the 1856 Lb number comes from... does any of the data on the page come from your plane?

It looks more like an example out of a book, than hand written calculations I’ve seen.

5) Have you recently acquired this plane?

use caution...

Nothing like getting stuck using incorrect data for safety of flight calculations...

PP Thinking out loud.  Not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

• 8 months later...
Guest Spike Kavalench

Yeah. A previous owner must have spent a lot of money installing it. We live in mountainous territory here so it helps to get up and over the rocks.  Also, it's just cool to have!

I went through the paperwork on my 30+ year old F33A when I saw an obvious error in the weight and balance.  Found about a dozen more errors.  Weights added when something taken out, addition errors, multiplication errors, etc. In the end, you are responsible for the weight and balance.  Doubt the paperwork will ever match reality.  Call around, someone has scales and knows how to weigh a Mooney.