Ride from Kennett to Memphis on Wednesday?

AlexLev

Facing some tough first time ownership challenges and going to pull the trigger with flying my plane from Buffalo to Jewell Aviation in Kennett, MO for an R&R and maybe overhaul as soon as this coming Wednesday.

Any MSers live near the area and able to help me out with a ride/flight to Memphis? Happy to help out with fuel and gratitude.

Otherwise for any who have made the journey to Jewell from far away places...how did you get to Memphis to catch a flight home? There are no buses or even car rentals around.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by AlexLev

I'd be tight for time to get you a ride to Memphis, but could pick you by air or car and bring you to Dyersburg (about 20 miles) from Kennett. We have several car rental places here and they can probably get you fixed up on a rental to Memphis.

Just let me know ASAP so I can plan my work week. I planned on going over there one day next week anyway. Just had not picked a day.

Tom

PM me if you need my help and I'll give you my contact info.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I'll call them and see if Jewell has any options for bringing me. Tom - with your offer, I don't want to say "Thursday" and then end up delaying due to weather or other factors and cause problems for you especially if you are taking time out especially for it. Have to play it by ear getting out of the Buffalo area.

Decided to try to make it out there before the cold fronts plummeted temps aloft. I made it to Cincy so far with a new headwind record...may see about completing the leg after the storms pass through. If I do end up in Kennett tomorrow, I'll try to see if I can find a ride back at the airport, if anyone happens to be in the area tomorrow, feel free to shoot me a PM.

headwinds.jpg

On 1/23/2018 at 3:07 PM, AlexLev said:

Dropped the plane off for overhaul today and had my first go at hitchhiking a ride to Memphis.

Success. Not murdered. People are good.

I talked to David Jewell the day after he found out that Alex made it to Memphis safely. I think everyone at the shop had bets on whether he would make it or not. I'm pretty sure David thought Alex would end up on Forensic Files  :)

Seriously though if I was to drop off a plane there I'd probably pay the $100+ for the local taxi to drive me to the Memphis airport or to Cape Girardeau. Too many crazy people out there.

Edited by LANCECASPER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I talked to David Jewell the day after he found out that Alex made it to Memphis safely. I think everyone at the shop had bets on whether he would make it or not. I'm pretty sure David thought Alex would end up on Forensic Files  :)

Seriously though if I was to drop off a plane there I'd probably pay the $100+ for the local taxi to drive me to the Memphis airport or to Cape Girardeau. Too many crazy people out there.

I have friends who have been hitchhiking through the US, Mexico and Canada for the last few years and have mostly great stories to tell about human kindness. You run into a weirdo every now and then and I certainly ran into some personalities, but I think in a world constantly bombarded with negativity on the news; people are too scared to trust each other.

It was great that 3 different drivers found trust in me and vice versa on a day where a school was shot up in Kentucky and collectively we learned that people are not all doom, gloom and crazy and shared stories and helped each other out.

To each their own though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, AlexLev said:

Dropped the plane off for overhaul today and had my first go at hitchhiking a ride to Memphis.

How long has it been since hitchhiking was "the norm". As late as the 50's it was very common and not considered  hazardous. I hitchhiked (not often, but often enough it was not unusual.) 

Well that was fairly quick. Found the culprit. The lifters and camlobe. Not a huge surprise. Seeing the pictures, I'm glad we are doing it when we're doing it.

Oil pump housing ended up being a little damaged from the metal too. See pics below.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 12.09.34 PM.png

image2.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

IMG_2568.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Couple more updates - they said the cylinders + crankshaft look to be in good condition and will just hone the cylinders as part of the overhaul. They are recommending resurfaced lifters by ASL -- which I hope is a good choice. I'm not really sure, but I fly 200+ hours per year so I am hoping the activity will keep the engine in good health.

One surprise was they are recommending to replace the carburator. It was overhauled in 2011 by the previous owner about 600 hours ago, so I thought it would be in decent shape...but they say it's clogging up the intake port - see pic. I wonder if this could have been caused by the camshaft not opening the valve enough due to the wear? I don't think I'm running too rich? I had a mag failure, so I wonder if all that extra fuel could be from the time I ran too rich on one mag for about 10 minutes in flight before making a precautionary landing.

Replacing the carb doesn't add that much relative to the entire bill already so I'm inclined to just do it...

IMG_2605.jpg

Edited by AlexLev

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like it’s completed. Planning to pick fly her back on Thursday morning. Anyone available to help me get from Memphis to Kennett on Wednesday evening?
EF971FD9-97F2-4533-BA39-B0EF35D4F951.thumb.jpeg.911b09df50cd77ab07816e72438217be.jpeg
9F3E5A79-C181-4769-A7D5-0909DD781901.thumb.jpeg.8c640dd1d804813a7d2c4ff2b2a793f8.jpeg
736E399D-B200-4E06-8742-72AFE68CC55E.thumb.jpeg.1e8b7a3d7e7e9b059e488d5af611af95.jpeg

You can get an Uber to take you from Memphis Intl to Kennett. It cost me $115 in December (plus tip if you’re so inclined). It’s courteous to give your responding driver a quick call to confirm they have the time for a long trip. Many prefer a long fare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, cnoe said:

You can get an Uber to take you from Memphis Intl to Kennett. It cost me $115 in December (plus tip if you’re so inclined). It’s courteous to give your responding driver a quick call to confirm they have the time for a long trip. Many prefer a long fare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I’ll give Uber a try. Great tip about the calling ahead. May try to get in on the weekend to pick her up.

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 1