Compass Repair or Upgrade

EricJ

So, kinda like me, my compass has gotten old and started leaking.  Yesterday it was dripping on the edge of the glare shield, which is new behavior.  The compass, not me.

I found this thread:

which led me to the CB hangar-fairy-compatible repair kits:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/compasses_airpath/repairkit.php

$11.25 for the kit with the fluid is CB friendly.

However, I have a big panel upgrade coming up in a couple of months and wouldn't mind having a dry vertical-card compass in place by then and get it swung after the installation of everything else.    One of the compensation screws on my current Airpath compass spins at about 200 rpm whenever the engine is running, so it may just be time to bite the bullet and replace it with something leak-proof.

I'm not sure what the mounting options are for the vertical-card compasses, though.    I'm not finding an obvious Mooney-compatible mount or retrofit for the Airpath mount.   I'm sure this is doable, but finding a mount is cramping my ability to decide between the CB route and the upgrade.

Do any of you still "use" your compass. As discussed in the quoted thread, you have to have a compass, and since it has to be there, it might as well work. As someone pointed out, a (functioning) compass will always work, as long as the earth has magnetic lines, but realistically, it has been a long long time since I actually used my compass. When my Garmin 430 gives up, my 696 fails, my IPad goes TU, and ATC can't help me with vectors, and I have a total electrical failure, and the batteries in those devices run down,  I am in a heap of trouble, as I don't carry paper charts to use a compass with. 

Bottom line, if you use your compass, seriously consider the vertical card. If you are like me, have your hangar elf repair the compass with the cheap Aircraft Spruce repair kit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Do any of you still "use" your compass. As discussed in the quoted thread, you have to have a compass, and since it has to be there, it might as well work. As someone pointed out, a (functioning) compass will always work, as long as the earth has magnetic lines, but realistically, it has been a long long time since I actually used my compass. When my Garmin 430 gives up, my 696 fails, my IPad goes TU, and ATC can't help me with vectors, and I have a total electrical failure, and the batteries in those devices run down,  I am in a heap of trouble, as I don't carry paper charts to use a compass with. 

Bottom line, if you use your compass, seriously consider the vertical card. If you are like me, have your hangar elf repair the compass with the cheap Aircraft Spruce repair kit.

I do use the compass, so leaning toward the upgrade.   Just want to make sure I get the most appropriate bracket and not have to do the RMA dance.

• Like 1

If you are an entrenched CB... buy the airpath kit from AS... I did...

Realistically the vertical card is better in presentation than the reverse spinning regular compass... will be greatly appreciated when the fan is pelted by excrement... :)

I only use my compass once per flight to make sure the HSI is aligned with reality... it is possible that it might not be...

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

Vertical cards give more situational awareness at a glance, but seem to be more temperamental when it comes to function. There are those that have had good experiences and those that think they’re useless. 

I pitched my old Airpath in favor of a S.I.R.S. And have been very pleased with is performance. 

https://www.sirs.co.uk/aircraft/light_aircraft

• Like 1

Vertical Card Compass works very well on the M20J and later models because the tube where the compass is attached is non ferrous magnetic. On earlier Mooney models the tubing is ferro magnetic. The vertical compass has stronger magnet that makes it susceptible to nearby ferrous metals.

I had no problem with mine on my M20J. I can easily steer with it in bumpy weather. A good backup for the DG.

• Like 1

I installed a kit and the compass still didn't work.  Bought a new Airpath and it didn't work.  Went through Spruce and got a free warranty replacement (couldn't upgrade to a vertical path due to being a warranty) and even using non ferrous tools to install it doesn't work.  This old technology sucks!!!  Don't need a compass in the Lancair because a magnetometer meets the FAA Requirements.  Wish I had bought a vertical path compass to start with. 

Tom

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I installed a kit and the compass still didn't work.  Bought a new Airpath and it didn't work.  Went through Spruce and got a free warranty replacement (couldn't upgrade to a vertical path due to being a warranty) and even using non ferrous tools to install it doesn't work.  This old technology sucks!!!  Don't need a compass in the Lancair because a magnetometer meets the FAA Requirements.  Wish I had bought a vertical path compass to start with. 

Tom

I'm curious, how can a compass not work?

Was it stuck? Did you have magnetic interference you couldn't compensate?

18 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I'm curious, how can a compass not work?

Was it stuck? Did you have magnetic interference you couldn't compensate?

When I installed the last one, I swung it out on the ramp with it cradled in my hands.  I introduced it to the airplane interior and got NO reaction to the airframe , even when I held it up to the mount tube above the glare shield.  Installed, it seemed to work fine.  The next day I taxied it out to swing it on the compass rose and it seems to REALLY like 030 degrees; pretty much is at that setting almost at any direction now.  Maybe need to de-gaus (sic?) the plane?  Clarence....any ideas?  I hate to replace a brand new Airpath Compass.  After just adding ADS-B upgrade on a plane I'm going to lose north of $100k on when I sell it, would rather not add more cost to that misery.

Tom

A long time ago I had to degauss my first '66E. After that the whiskey compass was fine. In my current Mooney with the compensating magnets I can only get within about 10* of N and S. But since if someone stole the compass it would take me a year to miss it, I haven't done more than ask Lynn if he has access to a degausser. (He doesn't.)  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

....But since if someone stole the compass it would take me a year to miss it....

In partial-panel work last year I was using the GPS ground track to steer (and doing just fine) when the CFII reminded me of the compass in the Ovation: I had forgotten it was there. 

Still, it remains on the required equipment list. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

In partial-panel work last year I was using the GPS ground track to steer (and doing just fine) when the CFII reminded me of the compass in the Ovation: I had forgotten it was there. 

Still, it remains on the required equipment list. 

Too funny, I am always pointing out the importance of using TRK and DTK for real world partial panel. As long as you have WAAS with TRK being updated at 5hz, who cares about a bouncing compass - at least until you loose all electrics in which case a review of compass errors with turns and timed turns is still worthwhile. But I encourage using TRK & DTK on all approaches - partial panel or otherwise. Non-WAAS though is too slow at 1hz  to be helpful.