First known drone save.....pretty cool

On 1/19/2018 at 6:01 PM, carusoam said:

wait... I think I see the banner towing drones on the horizon...

Correction: Banner hovering drones

-(Drone)-...Banner...-(Drone)-   :D

And they will be just above the horizon too ;) because "drones are just swell" and "just above the swell"

Who could possibly need rules for them?

Edited by jkhirsch
  • Like 1

There was an article in AOPA magazine about getting your Remote Pilots license. As soon as the FAA gets back to work I'll be a certified commercial drone pilot with more stuff written on my license. The whole thing took about 2 hours. Training, written test and license application.

Some day I'll have to fly a drone....

I keep wondering why is it the government gets all the cool drones.   It seem like it would be pretty easy to build a predator drone out of foam board and hang a paramotor off the back of it.   Probably for about one AMU.   Put a nice camera on it and park it above Houston Class B.  That would be fun.

a flyable plane out of foamboard. no way you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNSN6qet1kE

17 minutes ago, Yetti said:

a flyable plane out of foamboard. no way you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNSN6qet1kE

Anybody remember Ken Rand and the KR series of homebuilt airplanes?   Basically large model airplanes, built with the RC-airplane technology of the time in the 70s and 80s.

RC planes are now quick-built using plastic corrugate folded over the wing spar, and rolled into fuselage tubes. Some use wiffle bats for pre-made fuselages . . . Tail feathers can be sheet corrugate scored on one side to allow movement . . . Foam has been extensively used as a construction material since the early 90s, just add wooden wing spars and fiberglass or carbon fiber strips for selected strengthening.

--signed, Life Member, Academy of Model Aeronautics

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

RC planes are now quick-built using plastic corrugate folded over the wing spar, and rolled into fuselage tubes. Some use wiffle bats for pre-made fuselages . . . Tail feathers can be sheet corrugate scored on one side to allow movement . . . Foam has been extensively used as a construction material since the early 90s, just add wooden wing spars and fiberglass or carbon fiber strips for selected strengthening.

--signed, Life Member, Academy of Model Aeronautics

That's no fun, I like the old ways of gluing your fingers together with ca glue while trying to keep everything square on a sheet of drywall on a template with push pins.

15 minutes ago, peevee said:

That's no fun, I like the old ways of gluing your fingers together with ca glue while trying to keep everything square on a sheet of drywall on a template with push pins.

That's not old fashioned! Try putting glue on the sticks, then pinning them to an old bullletin board and letting the runny, smelly glue dry overnight . . .