Movie: American Made

Not sure who has seen this movie, but it probably has the most general aviation planes and scenes I have ever seen in a movie.  It’s supposedly based on a true story, though that seems like a stretch at times.

Unfortunately N164HH was crashed in Columbia before returning to the states.  http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/01/ted-smith-aerostar-600-heliblack-llc.html

Check it out.

-Kris

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Not sure who has seen this movie, but it probably has the most general aviation planes and scenes I have ever seen in a movie.  It’s supposedly based on a true story, though that seems like a stretch at times.

Unfortunately N164HH was crashed in Columbia before returning to the states.  http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/01/ted-smith-aerostar-600-heliblack-llc.html

Check it out.

-Kris

was a great movie. only mistake i found in the movie was that the king air c90's they used were using garmin g500's and gtn 750's, which in the 1980's I believe didn't exist. LOL Great movie anyway.

• Like 1

I didn't know any of the backstory to Barry Seal and avoided it so I could watch the movie without second guessing the accuracy.  Fun movie but I just kept thinking that there was no way in hell he came out of that mess alive.

7 minutes ago, peevee said:

Kind of makes me want an aerostar

From what Dorn Claire tells me from Henry Weber Aircraft (MSC) in Lancaster, PA, the Aerostar is fast as HELL!

Edited by Mooney_Allegro
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

From what Dorn Claire tells me from Henry Weber Aircraft (MSC) in Lancaster, PA, the Aerostar is fast as HELL!

They are. I think they are in the 240 to 270 KTAS range depending on power setting. Dorn always had tons of them on the ramp when I was over there. I saw one at N71 (Smart Avionics) that had crashed on takeoff after having an extensive avionics upgrade done on it. The 2,500 pilot asked to fly it out had plenty of multi time but little in the Aerostar.

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

They are. I think they are in the 240 to 270 KTAS range depending on power setting. Dorn always had tons of them on the ramp when I was over there. I saw one at N71 (Smart Avionics) that had crashed on takeoff after having an extensive avionics upgrade done on it. The 2,500 pilot asked to fly it out had plenty of multi time but little in the Aerostar.

I remember Donegal Springs.  One of their chain-smoking pilots checked me out in a Grumman GA-7 Cougar.  I forgot his name, (Jay maybe?) but I'm told he went to jail for smuggling drugs?  I flew the rental Cougar over to Aerodynamics at KRDG, the mechanics came out to look at the plane and noted about a dozen things wrong with it just by a quick walk-around.  On the flight back, I lost a generator on one of the engines.  

1 hour ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

Watched the movie on Delta Tuesday on the flight from LAS-ATL.  Very entertaining with lots & lots of GA aircraft!  I generally don't care for Tom Cruise, but he was good in the movie.  No Mooneys in the movie though. 

What were you doing watching a movie instead of flying that 777, David? :)

2 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

What were you doing watching a movie instead of flying that 777, David? :)

Haha, aviation movies always get first priority!  Good hearing from you Mike, and I hope you and your wife are well in the New Year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

I remember Donegal Springs.  One of their chain-smoking pilots checked me out in a Grumman GA-7 Cougar.  I forgot his name, (Jay maybe?) but I'm told he went to jail for smuggling drugs?  I flew the rental Cougar over to Aerodynamics at KRDG, the mechanics came out to look at the plane and noted about a dozen things wrong with it just by a quick walk-around.  On the flight back, I lost a generator on one of the engines.  

Donegal Springs ownership went through a rough patch. I don't know all of the specifics but there people found guilty of some illegal activities and they ended up in jail. The airport was then sold to a group of investors including Ben Travis who runs the avionics shop there (Smart Avionics). Ben is a GREAT guy and a real pleasure to work with.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

The details: http://lancasteronline.com/business/local_business/flying-tigers-owner-found-guilty-of-fraud-in-aircraft-inspection/article_253fda00-c011-11e3-81e1-001a4bcf6878.html

19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Marauder,

You're a good detective to find these articles!  That's the guy that checked me out in N721GA.  He was a nice guy, very patient, and a good flight instructor.  Sorry for straying a bit off topic.

1 minute ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

Marauder,

You're a good detective to find these articles!  That's the guy that checked me out in N721GA.  He was a nice guy, very patient, and a good flight instructor.  Sorry for straying a bit off topic.

Blame it on the day job...

15 hours ago, Niko182 said:

was a great movie. only mistake i found in the movie was that the king air c90's they used were using garmin g500's and gtn 750's, which in the 1980's I believe didn't exist. LOL Great movie anyway.

good call.  I saw it and didn't even think about it!

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

They are. I think they are in the 240 to 270 KTAS range depending on power setting. 

I used to fly one out of TEB and we planned about 230 knots for a 700 pressurized version....with some speed conversions.....we did not beat on it.....

And Bob North, former owner of Mt. Snow airport, real estate developer, and good friend died inexplicably in one on approach to 4V8. Bob was a very high time pilot who operated a variety of planes in and out of there, from PA46 to Paris Jet.

I love the idea of an A* but don't have enough runway for one, nor am I mentally prepared to maintain a 40 year old pressurized plane.