Looking for a J model and transition training

Charles22

Good afternoon, 

I am currently looking for an M20J and would like some suggestions in relation to more Mooney specific (J model specific items), things to watch out for, etc... I do not have much experience with the Mooneys and therefore some extra coaching would be appreciated before purchasing one. I have debated V Tails, Comanches, etc but the Mooney and the M20Js efficiency is hard to beat. There is an airplane in NJ which has been in Air Mods hands that I am looking into but it has had some damage 10+ years ago which required replacing the wing. (installed a K model wing by Air Mods)

In addition are there any CFI's in the New Smyrna Beach/Orlando area that someone would recommend to do some Mooney transition training as I do not have more than a handful of Mooney hours. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, 

Charles 

Port Orange, FL

Good afternoon, 
I am currently looking for an M20J and would like some suggestions in relation to more Mooney specific (J model specific items), things to watch out for, etc... I do not have much experience with the Mooneys and therefore some extra coaching would be appreciated before purchasing one. I have debated V Tails, Comanches, etc but the Mooney and the M20Js efficiency is hard to beat. There is an airplane in NJ which has been in Air Mods hands that I am looking into but it has had some damage 10+ years ago which required replacing the wing. (installed a K model wing by Air Mods)
In addition are there any CFI's in the New Smyrna Beach/Orlando area that someone would recommend to do some Mooney transition training as I do not have more than a handful of Mooney hours. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, 
Charles 
Port Orange, FL

Air Mods are the go to guys if you need a wing replaced. I wouldn’t be worried about the quality of their work.

Was their J recently painted (like during the summer)? If so, I have seen it. It’s beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charles, Welcome.

Each new model year of the J brought changes.  I personally don't like '77 models because of the fuel tank selector valve location and the lever type engine controls.

ALWAYS ask about useful load.  It will vary from 850 to just over 1000 lbs.  That can make a huge difference in mission flexibility.  Our group was not interested in any that did not have a useful load of at least 950 lbs, but your normal missions may make less load carrying capacity acceptable.

Others will have more opinions.  Best of luck in your search.  You won't be disappointed.

Bob

Edited by Bob - S50

On 1/19/2018 at 9:55 AM, Bob - S50 said:

Charles, Welcome.

Each new model year of the J brought changes.  I personally don't like '77 models because of the fuel tank selector valve location and the lever type engine controls.

ALWAYS ask about useful load.  It will vary from 850 to just over 1000 lbs.  That can make a huge difference in mission flexibility.  Our group was not interested in any that did not have a useful load of at least 950 lbs, but your normal missions may make less load carrying capacity acceptable.

Others will have more opinions.  Best of luck in your search.  You won't be disappointed.

Bob

Bob, 

Thank you for the insight! I have been seeing a wide range of useful loads and while my mission is mostly two people and bags I would prefer to have around 900 or more on the useful loads. (harder to find) I am finding that the good ones that come on the market are sold almost instantly and then there are some which are less desirable or higher priced because their owners are very attached and do not want to sell them! 

Thanks for your expertise,

Charles