Kwixdraw

Pireps on firewall forward HP + STC

An E with a fancy cowl is pretty quick... somebody said just add lightness... Colin Chapman, Lotus...

So is a J with an IO550... somebody else said there is no replacement for displacement... Don Garlits, NHRA racer, owner, car builder....

Lopresti got things to go faster just by curving things in a more Aero kind of way... aero engineer working at Mooney during the modernization of the M20J

Can you get a Missile, with a Lopresti cowl, and high compression pistons...?

The IO550 in the experimental world cranks out a whole lot more hp than 310...

Fun stuff from the archives...

Best regards,

-a-

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

One last thread hijack, but y’all gotta see this! Picture doesn’t do it justice, but this was taken from a football field away.

CC3260B6-7AB5-4DCA-8498-91C5F1EEADA3.jpeg

My 50w HID lights up the runway numbers enough to make them out from TWO MILES out.  It a tight beam but it’s very bright where it lands. 

It also lights up the whole side of the house a half mile past the departure end of the runway when you over-flare a landing. 

So the huge difference is the nose cowl and the windscreen. I always feared getting a spanking from a c or an e that had sprung for those mods. I’ve heard an e with the 201 mods is not to be trifled with.

I have flown form with a C that has the 201 nose/windscreen mods, on his 180 HP he stayed on my wing at 145 knots TAS. It’s impressive; those aerodynamic tweaks make a big difference.
  • Like 1

I looked at mfg date for the new landing light purchase and it was make about a month prior to the big air show... it also says 60w. 

I called LoPresti to say how satisfied I am and rate it right up there with the invention of boneless chicken and maybe even, my first bicycle.

@Curt LoPresti recently stopped by another thread regarding HID lighting... installation and latest revision number...

Best regards,

-a-