Pireps on firewall forward HP + STC

Has anyone out here got feedback on FWF's STC to put 10:1 piston in the IO-360 A3B6D. Seems like a reasonable way to get the 210HP of the IO-390 without the crazy cost.  Anyone running there centrilube cam? I'm staying with the standard lifters and thinking any extra lube you can get on them might be a good thing.

Quote: Kwixdraw

Has anyone out here got feedback on FWF's STC to put 10:1 piston in the IO-360 A3B6D. Seems like a reasonable way to get the 210HP of the IO-390 without the crazy cost.  Anyone running there centrilube cam? I'm staying with the standard lifters and thinking any extra lube you can get on them might be a good thing.

I don't know about the A1A engine but I would think it would be included. FWF talks like it is done all the time on experimentals and they have just done the leg work to make it possible on certificated aircraft too. Who does the Ney Nozzles?I saw that in AOPA Pilot some time back but couldn't find the company that does the mod.

Thanks Jim. I was aware that there was a good bit of negative experience with FWF some time back. From the older threads, Doesn't it seem strange they would use .010 over rings in a standard bore?  I can see being careful about the break in and temps but I can't believe they would use oversize rings in a standard bore. For one thing, even if you set the end gaps correctly, my understanding is that they could not be perfectly true circles once they are crammed into an undersized bore. I'll check with LyCon to see what they have to say on the subject.

Thanks Jim. I was aware that there was a good bit of negative experience with FWF some time back. From the older threads, Doesn't it seem strange they would use .010 over rings in a standard bore?  I can see being careful about the break in and temps but I can't believe they would use oversize rings in a standard bore. For one thing, even if you set the end gaps correctly, my understanding is that they could not be perfectly true circles once they are crammed into an undersized bore. I'll check with LyCon to see what they have to say on the subject.

I don't know about the A1A engine but I would think it would be included. FWF talks like it is done all the time on experimentals and they have just done the leg work to make it possible on certificated aircraft too. Who does the Ney Nozzles?I saw that in AOPA Pilot some time back but couldn't find the company that does the mod.

I got an email back from Chuck Ney this morning. He is a very direct individual and said he had no experience with the conversion to 10:1 compression but the IO-360 already has a tendency to crack cases, so do whatever you think is a good idea. Message received. So lower end will have Ney prepared cases with Ney Nozzles at least. Thinking maybe a Superior cam. Superior claims to ramp their cams differently to cut down some of the impact on the lifter. Sounds like a good thing. I'm thinking maybe just a good clean 200hp configuration would be just fine.

I owned one for 5 years..inherited it from the previous owner. There is a reason less than a hundred total have wound up in Mooneys and Arrows. There are no appreciable gains (climb or cruise) and it takes an already vibration prone engine and makes it worse. I thought my panel intruments where going to fall out in my lap. The engine got up around 1500 hrs, I balanced the prop twice, went through magnetos, landing lights, lord mounts and panel mounts prematurely. Related to the helicopter pistons? Who knows. I suspected issues with it and saw no performace differences.

That is not to say FWF is not a great shop.....actually they are AWSOME. The "Horespower-Plus" STC, personally didn't work out for me. I got $7k for my core and bought a factory new A3B6 (no D). Want performance? I hear the Top Prop is the way to go and required by the 390 STC. So buy the prop first...what the heck.

I had a good long talk with Garry Fischer from LyCon today. Very informative fellow, just a wealth of information. He sent me a complete copy of the FWF STC and we discussed it a good bit. Just not as good a thing as it sounds at first glance. Requires hard to find pistons and new heavier rods too. Also requires specific props and is limited to 200HP continuous by limiting MAP.

Seems the angle valve Lycoming is not the preferred engine to hot rod due to piston configuration and weight. LyCon has engines running as high as 14:1 in certain applications (experimental only) but not in the angle valves because the domed pistons  cause more risk of detonation as the ratios go up. Garry had a number of really good suggestions for building a good running IO-360-A3B6D and I think we will have to do some business. I would really recommend you talk with him before deciding how to spend your overhaul dollar.

Quote: N601RX

We are currently overhauling our engine. I have been going back and fourth between the centri lub cam and the Ney Nozzles that spray extra oil onto the cam.  The Centri lub is $500 to modify your cam, the Ney Nozzles are $245 to add to your case.  Do you know if the 10:1 option is available for the IO 360 A1A or just the A3B6D?

Domed pistons???? Wouldn't that be called..........a HEMI?

I know of a shop doing an IO-390/Top Prop STC right now on a 90's MSE...one of the first. All new, after labor, shipping, tax, title and tags.....$52,000. It'll be interesting to know how the service life of these new engines turns out.

• Like 1

I had a good long talk with Garry Fischer from LyCon today. Very informative fellow, just a wealth of information. He sent me a complete copy of the FWF STC and we discussed it a good bit. Just not as good a thing as it sounds at first glance. Requires hard to find pistons and new heavier rods too. Also requires specific props and is limited to 200HP continuous by limiting MAP.

Seems the angle valve Lycoming is not the preferred engine to hot rod due to piston configuration and weight. LyCon has engines running as high as 14:1 in certain applications (experimental only) but not in the angle valves because the domed pistons  cause more risk of detonation as the ratios go up. Garry had a number of really good suggestions for building a good running IO-360-A3B6D and I think we will have to do some business. I would really recommend you talk with him before deciding how to spend your overhaul dollar.

Domed pistons???? Wouldn't that be called..........a HEMI?

Hemi is short for hemispherical combustion chamber. The shape of the combustion chamber and location of the plug were what made it a HEMI. HEMI is a Dodge trademark word. Most automotive engines today use that type of technology. The term as used by Dodge is pure sales hype. 

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Usually here just lurking, but this bugs me...

Y’all are constantly dogging fwf... most have no experience with anything they do. Just about like going to Home Depot and asking the kid in the outside area how to grow a plant...

or ask their competitors what they think... wow!

i can only weigh in with this,...

at the small country Airport in southeast Texas where I come and go, there is a 201 that just showed up recently, a 1978 J... his engine is beyond TBO with over 2100 and hours majored by fwf way back in 1991. I’m here to tell you his engine out performs my stock 201 with ney nozzles that runs like a top! His climb rate beats mine by several hundred fpm. 

Say what you want, it’s a free country, but in this real life example that I’ve seen for myself, it makes some here seem a bit moronic to keep parroting unverifiable, pass it around input... and I’ve noticed this tendency over almost every topic. Human nature I suppose.

Welcome out in the open, Sandman.

You waited four years to write your first post.

You selected a topic that apparently few people have experience in.  

Calling a discussion moronic probably won’t gain you much favor.  It kind of takes away from what you were trying to say...

Aside from that...

Got any additional experience with the 10:1 CR helicopter Pistons? Effect on HP output, T/O performance numbers, Effect on CHTs, FF changes...

That kind of thing?

There were a couple of challenges with the FWF organization that have been reported.  Kind of throws a shadow over the work they may have performed...

Right up there with MooneyMart.  Lots of unease clouding over any of the good work that the shop was capable of.

Are you going to join the conversation? Or is this just a hit and run?

Why haven’t the high CR pistons been adopted by th Mooney community?  Are they being used by anyone else?  

Sounds like using ignition timing... a small change from 25°BTDC nets a similar result.  A rise in CHTs needs to be managed. The rise in FF is the cost of doing business.

Changing out Pistons takes a little more commitment... at least from an owner’s point of view. Are they going to be additional costs along the way?  A top overhaul?  Will it be ‘worth it’ for some? But not all?

For interesting discussions look up the effects of ignition timing... some pretty knowledgable people giving some actual data from actual Mooney planes.