Turbonormalizing M20J

rxo188

Hi. I have a stock M20J and I want to turbonormalize it. There's almost absolutely nothing about this on the internet except for one company that is so out of date their email bounces back. http://m20turbos.hypermart.net/turbo_kits.htm   I can't even find anything on youtube.

Has anyone added a turbo to their IO-360 on the J model? I'm probably scratching at nothing here, because it seems the price for a turbonormalizer would eclipse the cost of an overhaul, but I'm curious if anyone's done it.

Hi. I have a stock M20J and I want to turbonormalize it. There's almost absolutely nothing about this on the internet except for one company that is so out of date their email bounces back. http://m20turbos.hypermart.net/turbo_kits.htm   I can't even find anything on youtube.
Has anyone added a turbo to their IO-360 on the J model? I'm probably scratching at nothing here, because it seems the price for a turbonormalizer would eclipse the cost of an overhaul, but I'm curious if anyone's done it.

Speak with John Breda on this site. Not sure of his handle here but searching his last name will find him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That site you found is some sort of static archive of the original site for the M20 Turbos company that has been closed for several years now. It was developed in the late 90's by a gentleman with a J as a retirement project, more or less. He passed away some years later and his wife kept it going for a while. I unsuccessfully tried to purchase it many years ago, as have at least one other that I know of. It is now gone.

Right now there are no options that I know of to TN your J from scratch. Tornado Alley Turbo has a similar kit for the C177RG but have thus far been unwilling to do a Mooney version. It is also $40k+, I believe, so there won't be much demand from our crowd at that price.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I think I'm the only one on here with a M20 Turbos conversion. The company died with Mr. Sandman. I talked with him quite a few times before he died and he was always helpful. Luckily almost all the parts are 231 parts and the rest are repairable. I see no reason that I can't keep this setup going forever. I doubt you will ever be able to do another one.

Yeah... like others have said. There are a lot of turbo J's around... they're more commonly referred to as K's. Same body, just slightly longer cowl, the exact same displacement spread over 6 instead of 4 cylinders and a turbo. 

It's pretty easy to sell a nice J these days and that same money will buy an nice K. 

The best K's are Encores, followed by 252's, and then the budget 231's. Your J will buy you a really nice 231, an average 252, or 2/3rd of an Encore.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard my page.......

rxo188:

Yes you can turbonormalize your J.  The last STC was the M20 turbo kit.  That company is no longer in existence.  

I have a rebuilt original RayJay kit which you could use.  given that it was originally designed for the E and F, you would need to change some plumbing to be able to use it with a J model airbox, but it is otherwise the same kit without an intercooler and with a manual wastegate as opposed to a fixed wastegate.  

You can call me at (617) 877-0025 or e-mail me at john.breda@gmail.com

John Breda

• Like 1

@rxo188 has been away for a week....

see if I can help close the loop.

This thread contains a lot of interesting detail...

• the original request for info.
  • MSers with actual experience on their Mooney.
  • One MSer with a TN system that has been OH'd already...
  • A whole bunch of other interesting details.

Best regards,

-a-

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, KSMooniac said:

That site you found is some sort of static archive of the original site for the M20 Turbos company that has been closed for several years now. It was developed in the late 90's by a gentleman with a J as a retirement project, more or less. He passed away some years later and his wife kept it going for a while. I unsuccessfully tried to purchase it many years ago, as have at least one other that I know of. It is now gone.

Right now there are no options that I know of to TN your J from scratch. Tornado Alley Turbo has a similar kit for the C177RG but have thus far been unwilling to do a Mooney version. It is also $40k+, I believe, so there won't be much demand from our crowd at that price.

What was her reason for not selling to you?

What was her reason for not selling to you?
She just changed her mind right before closing. I don't know if it was some sort of emotional attachment to her husband's last project, or illusion that it was worth more than what we agreed to. No reason was given, just a letter from her agent.

• Sad 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, KSMooniac said:

She just changed her mind right before closing. I don't know if it was some sort of emotional attachment to her husband's last project, or illusion that it was worth more than what we agreed to. No reason was given, just a letter from her agent.

Sad to say the least.

• 1 month later...

Hey rxo188

I just purchased a 1993 M20J with an M20 turbo installation. Flew it from Charleston S.C. to my home base of CZBB which is pretty much Vancouver Canada. It performed flawlessly. I am in the process of getting the import and Canadian registration done. I did not necessarily want or need the turbo option because my home base is at sea level and do most of my flying below 10,000 ft. I am not unhappy with it but would consider selling it.

Some days I wonder if we as an organization of mooney pilots and owners (MAPA or Mooneyspace or whatever) should purchase some of these orphan STCs that are clearly valuable to a subsegment of the fleet but nobobdy else ... we’ll probably have to purchase the factory when it goes under next time anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Didn’t the bonanza society buy some of their orphaned stc’s?

-Robert

That would be interesting to hear, how it was done...

How would someone be able to buy Modworks STCs if the company does not exist?

That would be interesting to hear, how it was done...
How would someone be able to buy Modworks STCs if the company does not exist?

You would have to research what became of the assets when they filed for bankruptcy. Otherwise they would be public domain.
Just a PP, not a lawyer.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...