SPOT interference with GTN650 and GTN750

Vlakvark

All the best for 2018 to ya all. I’ve just got back from flying to Mexico/Belize. I have notice that the SPOT( search and rescue tracker) interfere with the GTN650/750. I would turn it on and have the footnote active. A few minutes later I will loose all gps signal and the GPS will tell me to DR. We have moved the SPOT around the inside of the cabin and was able to leave it on the back seat with only one GPS compromised. Have any one else experience the same interference?

23 minutes ago, Vlakvark said:

The spot’s tracking was bang on and reported every 3min. Only thing I can think is that the signal the spot send, over powerd the GPS signal. 

JT

Hmmm... I have my SPOT on the default of 10min. Which granted in the Mooney, spreads out the bread crumbs quite a bit.  I wonder if the increased GPS ping is overpowering the Garmins?

• Like 1

I have a G750 and SPOT Gen3 set to 5 min tracking. I have about 1 GPS drop per flight hour. My partner who doesn't fly with a SPOT hasn't had a G750 drop. 

From SPOT:

"Other devices should be at least 12 inches from SPOT to prevent distortion of GPS coordinates and interference with message transmission."

https://www.findmespot.eu/en/faq/

SPOT.PNG